Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Polished concrete floors in your house
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
I love polished concrete floors - durable and simple.

I will do that to my large garage when time comes.

You might think twice about that. My 1632 sq. ft. shop/garage has a concrete floor and is not polished , but sealed. I have two, four post lifts, and under them on the floor is a diamond plate plastic sort of mat that is sold at Costco. This plastic flooring is great because you can wipe oil or any spills up and you have traction. You can't put a floor jack or jack stands on this mat-you do that in front of the lift if you would ever need to do so, however my lifts have jacking trays so no problem.
The house garage is another story as this is a garage that is a three bay with a polished concrete floor. It's about 1- 1/2 car deep with a 3" drop out of the garage for drainage because I wash my cars inside the garage. When that floor is wet it is so slippery. I remember one day I was washing my truck and my wife who likes to jump out at me from around the car or corners etc. to give me a good scare jumped out at me and she went flat out and landed on her butt. This ain't so bad when your in your 20's, but when your in your 70's it can be a disaster as in breaking your pelvis or arm trying to break a fall, or she could have gone all the way and cracked her head.

Think twice about polished concrete floors for a garage or patio that is meant to get wet unless you like hydroplaning .
truelinebob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

I did my floors downstairs that were slab on grade in the den and garage areas but i would not like it whole house or in bedrooms. They were not polished but i ground them, cut them, acid stained it and topped with water based epoxy and filled the cutting with charcoal colored grout.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

Underfloor heating in concrete is great and economical as it runs at a lower temp, as long as u can work that out with your heating system, otherwise it's not so economical. Tiles are best on that setup as most other coverings will insulate...

I don't know what all the fuss is about tiles on timber. If u have boards down u can't tile on that. But all u have to do is put 1/4" marine ply sheets down screwed often to the floor and tile straight on top. No probs, no movement, no cracking.

I find real timber floors best for me, but I'll always throw some woollen carpets on in places for a bit of comfort.

Polishing concrete sounds nice for utility areas.

The Romans? A pack of assholes.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

The great thing about polished concrete floors in the house is; when it's 95 degrees outside the floors are around 67 degrees and when it's snowing outside the floors never go below 65 degrees.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

We have a carpeted concrete basement floor. Over the years, the washer leaked/overflowed onto the unfinished side and made its way over to the finished side and gotten under the carpeting in that corner area.

I plan to remove all the carpeting, wearing an N95 particle mask to prevent inhaling possible/probable mold. I was then going to scrub and paint the floor with gray concrete paint and put throw rugs down to provide warmth and cushioning.

Any practical downsides?
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Polished concrete floors in your house Reply with quote

scottyrocks wrote:
We have a carpeted concrete basement floor. Over the years, the washer leaked/overflowed onto the unfinished side and made its way over to the finished side and gotten under the carpeting in that corner area.

I plan to remove all the carpeting, wearing an N95 particle mask to prevent inhaling possible/probable mold. I was then going to scrub and paint the floor with gray concrete paint and put throw rugs down to provide warmth and cushioning.

Any practical downsides?

None at all, just use a good primer sealer before you paint
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: