Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upgrading Throttle Cable
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

This topic comes about due to my throttle cable busting last night in the beginning of my 30 mile commute home through traffic. I was somehow able to channel my inner MacGyver and use a ring terminal clamped to the broken end of the cable by the pedal, which was then zip tied to the roller pedal. I babied that thing home for 30 miles hoping and praying it would stay clamped on the cable. Thankfully it did.
Bottom line is, I need something a little more robust. That throttle cable was 2 years and maybe 6000 miles old. Shouldn't be busting. I kinda wanna just get a piece of appropriately sized cable and make my own set up, but I was wondering if anyone had ideas about how to attach/connect it to the roller pedal. I have a barrel in back holding it to the throttle body, but I need some ideas for the front/pedal.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

I applaud your skills of getting home!

Although throttle cables don't normally fail so quickly. I would be suspicious that something is bent or rubbing/wearing the cable at an abnormal rate. A heavier duty cable may give you more time between breakages, but I would thoroughly investigate any possible causes to the throttle cable breaking before I would simply go to a heavier gauge cable.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

You can try something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THROTTLE-CABLE-Universal-...SwZW5aAI6i

and use a self locking nut on a bolt like this but make sure your roller is not bent like this one Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink

Last edited by 60ragtop on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

You didn’t happen to install the fairly new “S”-hook end of the cable from the left side of the pedal pivot arm? If so, installing from the left can cause the end to wear rapidly. The S must be installed from the right side of the pivot arm. And grease it well, including the hole in the pivot arm.

I use needle nose pliers to install, since the area there is kind of small next to the tunnel.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

Try cardinal door down the street from the vet. Might have a assortment of cable ends you might be able to adapt to your pedal.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
You didn’t happen to install the fairly new “S”-hook end of the cable from the left side of the pedal pivot arm? If so, installing from the left can cause the end to wear rapidly. The S must be installed from the right side of the pivot arm. And grease it well, including the hole in the pivot arm.

I use needle nose pliers to install, since the area there is kind of small next to the tunnel.

Tim

Can you see this without taking the pedal assembly out?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

A stock accelerator cable goes in this way !!!!

I've not tried the newfangled type of accelerator cable. My 1970 VW has over 260K miles on the original cable; my 1971 Super is on its third (150K).

60ragtop wrote:
make sure your roller is not bent

Very true
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

One of the reasons it has accelerated wear is because I have a big ass spring on the throttle body cause the one it came with is a dinky lil thing.

Shocked

that fucking thing looks like it drove through a J.C. Whitney catalogue and hit everything on the way out Laughing
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

Here you go. 1/16" "wire rope" control cable I got at a local farm supply store.

Max
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

I use a heavy duty universal cable in all of my VWs,

https://www.mooreparts.com/heavy-duty-9-foot-universal-throttle-cable-vw-baja-dune-buggy-sandrail/

This is just an example, and you usually have to fab up the attachment at the pedal. But if you go this route, and grease the cable well as you install it, you can kiss broken cables good bye.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

I bought the heavy duty one, it works good. My car came without one and I put a stock cable in and it felt like the cable would come un-hooked from the pedal if I looked at it wrong.

The heavy duty one I got from J-bugs was just an Empi part and since the clevis is so much longer than stock you have to cut your tube back a little.

Here is a video showing the tube cutting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcVp5BdV1zw
Mine is just like the one shown in the vid.

I also bent the clevis to match the angle of the pedal so there was no angle on the cable.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/4862-7.html

Somehow the 16' cable is $1 less than the 9' cable. I wicked a bunch of solder onto mine at the carb and then trimmed it off.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

To take max's garage door cable one step further, there are thimble's available for the loop. That is a small metal piece that is fit inside the loop before it is crimped that acts as your wear surface. While ln that dept look for a chain master link (45 or65?) to make the connection to your pedal. Cardinal door in your zip code should have that and more, should be able find something that will get you going.
kangaboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

Some really good ideas here gents. I'll prolly do a spin off of Max's idea there, and then incorporate the thimble as cbeckmentioned to prevent excessive wear.
I do like the heavy duty cable that was linked as well too. We have one of those on our buggy that has been there for 15 years.
Thanks for the ideas all.

Shocked

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

Likely Max added some grease to his loop and area before putting into actual operation.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

With the wire, do you just run it through the barrel nut on the carburetor and clamp directly on the wire, or do you put some kind of end on the wire?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

Ricksurfin wrote:
With the wire, do you just run it through the barrel nut on the carburetor and clamp directly on the wire, or do you put some kind of end on the wire?

If I did this, I think I'd try to solder the strands at the rear just after cutting to length to prevent them from fraying. I'd try this so upon subsequent disconnects of the accelerator cable that I'd be able to readily thread it through the barrel nut.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
You can try something like this

https://www.ebay.com/itm/THROTTLE-CABLE-Universal-...SwZW5aAI6i

and use a self locking nut on a bolt like this but make sure your roller is not bent like this one Wink

wow thats effed up....get the cable to pull inline with the tube. nd for maxs fix ....use a longer bolt so it is pulling out of the center of the cable tube.I would also use 2 spacers,one that rotates on/over the other one.

As for the op's isssue.. I put a new cable on last year some tyme. I use the 76 fuel injection cable (pioneer brand). it has a graphite impregnated graphite sheeth on it. oh so smooth. and cheeper than the non fuel injected cable Shocked Ill see if I can find the pioneer #............hmm......... CA 8571 . I got it from orileys.
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

That photo is how mine would have been, but I bent the end to match the pedal angle.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Likely Max added some grease to his loop and area before putting into actual operation.

I actually did not. My thought was that grease would just attract dirt down there. The car was a 12 month daily driver and I was constantly tracking in dirt and mud and snow. It lasted something like five years and was still going strong when i sold the car.

On the other end of the cable I just folded the it over and tightened the barrel nut against it.

I used to carry 25' of that stuff around in a ziplock with the heavy pliers and a few ferrules. Came in handy a few times ... to fix other peoples cars. Very Happy

Max
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgrading Throttle Cable Reply with quote

"One of the reasons it has accelerated wear is because I have a big ass spring on the throttle body cause the one it came with is a dinky lil thing"

Long term I would be concerned by putting a stronger return spring than standard on the carburettor. This puts additional load on the throttle butterfly shaft which cannoot be good from a wear point of view.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: