Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear tail lights
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orangebug60guy
Twin #1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Rear tail lights Reply with quote

I replaced the rear tail light housings with aftermarket CIP1 stuff. I am having trouble with the brake lights and side marker lights. The new housings only have one big connector and not two small connectors. I had all the lights working but now the brake lights will not go on when the switch is activated. Has anyone used these and been able to remedy the problem. I thought I could daisy chain the running lights off the license plate wires. This didn’t work for some reason. The wiring diagrams aren’t very useful for my bus since is was manufactured 12/74. It has a mix of 74 and 75 wires. Was supposed to be fuel injection.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear tail lights Reply with quote

You might have blown a fuse.
You should be able to daisy chain off the license plate light.
Make sure the marker lights have a good ground and the bulbs are not blown.

Might be time to break out the test light.

Good luck
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear tail lights Reply with quote

1978 hope it helps.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=931911

Maybe post some pix?
60vwnewengland
Twin #2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear tail lights Reply with quote

orangebug60guy wrote:
I replaced the rear tail light housings with aftermarket CIP1 stuff. I am having trouble with the brake lights and side marker lights. The new housings only have one big connector and not two small connectors. I had all the lights working but now the brake lights will not go on when the switch is activated. Has anyone used these and been able to remedy the problem. I thought I could daisy chain the running lights off the license plate wires. This didn’t work for some reason. The wiring diagrams aren’t very useful for my bus since is was manufactured 12/74. It has a mix of 74 and 75 wires. Was supposed to be fuel injection.

Picture of old lights
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

New lights
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks the the nipples on the bulb aren’t touching the prongs on the new housing.

How do we make this work? Different bulb?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear tail lights Reply with quote

I would recommend cleaning up the part of your old housing that holds the bulbs and wires, and install it in the new plastic housing. While the new plastic is nice, the old bulb mounts are better, as you have witnessed.

Also, while you are in there, you might consider "lining" the reflective surfaces on the bulb side of the housing with shiny aluminum duct tape (the real metal stuff).
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear tail lights Reply with quote

That bulb needs to be turned 90° so the pins on the bulb touches each side of the tabs.

Edit: I'm an idiot. I need to read better. Nevermind.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: