Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do for your Bay recently?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 422, 423, 424 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Hello,
Well today.
I repaired my drivers side mirror. I got tired of having to roll the window down to readjust it, only to have it move again shortly there after....
So, I took an exacto knife to the old brittle seal, popped out the glass. Took it apart, cleaned and lubed the socket and spring. Put it back together, tightened the screw back up snugged down good. Used the old gasket base as a spacer to keep the glass off the metal housing, then sealed the edges up with black silicone gasket maker.
Done.... no more readjusting that damned thing every time I go to look at it or shut the door..
It's the little things that matter....
Davydomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
I got tired of having to roll the window down to readjust it, only to have it move again shortly there after....... no more readjusting that damned thing every time I go to look at it or shut the door..
It's the little things that matter....

I have new(ish) aftermarket ones that came with the bus and they are driving me crazy Brick wall

I only have to breath near them and they move. I've been advised to try and source some originals.

"Mum, Dad ………. I'm Bay"

Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet. Jean-Jaques Rousseau
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Absolutely nothing. I just wanted to repost this pic one more time! YEE HAA!!

orangebug60guy wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Davydomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Went to the Early Bay Camp Out at Warmington near Banbury in Oxfordshire. A few guys came over from Belgium for it. The video was loaded up by my mate Rob and it was filmed on my phone.

Shows how many turned up!

Link

"Mum, Dad ………. I'm Bay"

xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Installed a thermostat.

JimmyJagged
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Detailed it. Shiny and Clean. But the occasion was because my daughter asked me to chauffeur her and her friends to Prom. They thoroughly enjoyed it and it made them feel special!
The best comment was when I picked them up, I was parked alongside other rides and limo's and standing next to the Bus. I was getting thumbs ups, but one particular one girl pointed to us and exclaimed to her date "can we ride that one home?" Laughing

1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon (my 19yo son's first car. father/son project)
1985 Pop Top Weekender Vanagon w/ 2.5 Subaru

Past:
1976 Rabbit diesel (my first car). RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1973 Pop Top Westfalia Weekender Bus. RIP. Blown engine due to 25yo ignorant of VW maintenance (me).
1986 Vanagon Transporter. RIP. totaled by drunk driver (not me!)
1987 Vanagon Syncro. I never should have sold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fozzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I took out the aftermarket junk seats, bought some frames from Earl Mann's Bug Shop, stripped them down, cleaned em up, painted the frames and reupholstered them using TMI stuff. I was my first attempt, don't beat me up too much! Embarassed

71 Tin Top Westy
Adopted Dec or so 2017
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ewdb92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Fozzy wrote:
I took out the aftermarket junk seats, bought some frames from Earl Mann's Bug Shop, stripped them down, cleaned em up, painted the frames and reupholstered them using TMI stuff. I was my first attempt, don't beat me up too much! Embarassed

Looks good!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I was inspired by the resurrected headliner thread, and no rain, to do a first pass at cleaning a decade of crud from mine.
In '97 I used Westley's on it because it was on hand. The results then were amazing. I used borax this round, and I still have an old bottle of Westley's, hopefully it's not the same bottle left over from '97. I have a fresh bottle for the new axle boots. I tried to find some 303 Protectant at Wallyworld but they said try ordering online.

Attempting a JBWeld fix on a brake caliper bolt ear.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Volswagon wrote:

No. Get a new one. This is a very bad idea.
melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Volswagon wrote:

This is a joke, right? No sane person would use JBWeld for brake repair.
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
Davydomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

ewdb92 wrote:
Fozzy wrote:

Looks good!

I agree - nice job!

"Mum, Dad ………. I'm Bay"

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

melville wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Volswagon wrote:

X3! Dear God Please Don't Do This!
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
TheRealOld59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

A little bit of sun, always a good reason to take my camper Cool

Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
melville wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Considering I drove it daily for years and thousands of miles with the bottom bolt holding it all together with no problems, you could say my sanity cherry got popped long ago. I've learned how to avoid sudden-stop situations.

The clutch disc grenaded two miles and one traffic light from home and a buddy was pulling me with a chain, downhill, too fast and tailgating the guy in front of him. Of course the speed-triggered light (with camera) changed on us. Without vacuum boost, I (we) "persuaded" him not to run the light. I replaced the clutch, bolted the caliper back the way it was, and rambled on.
I have a wicked fast right foot and the left ain't too shabby.
My "radar" is better than average after driving taxis for years. I usually brake before the person in front of me does. I worry more about these tires that have sat for over 8 years. The front ones sure lost a few layers that day.

ETA: Rusty seized pads cleaned, caliper bolted up solid. I WILL test it coming down off this hill on our victory break-in run, soon I hope. Rotated the rebuilt tranny through all the gears.

Still waiting on roofers to show after waiting through a solid week of rain.

melville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Volswagon wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
melville wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Considering I drove it daily for years and thousands of miles with the bottom bolt holding it all together with no problems, you could say my sanity cherry got popped long ago. I've learned how to avoid sudden-stop situations.

The clutch disc grenaded two miles and one traffic light from home and a buddy was pulling me with a chain, downhill, too fast and tailgating the guy in front of him. Of course the speed-triggered light (with camera) changed on us. Without vacuum boost, I (we) "persuaded" him not to run the light. I replaced the clutch, bolted the caliper back the way it was, and rambled on.
My "radar" is better than average after driving taxis for years. I usually brake before the person in front of me does. I worry more about these tires that have sat for over 8 years. The front ones sure lost a few layers that day.

ETA: Rusty seized pads cleaned, caliper bolted up solid. I WILL test it coming down off this hill on our victory break-in run, soon I hope. Rotated the rebuilt tranny through all the gears.

Again, the ability of some of the Bay forum members to bring the stupid amazes me. Calipers really don't cost all that much compared to hospital visits.
75 R75/6
65 Standard Micro
57 Sedan
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I have to pile on and say to pls rethink your caliper repair decision. Understand there are other people on the road that your decision could impact. Calipers are cheap.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

I appreciate the advice gentlemen. As I posted above, it survived 6 rough years of daily grind with nothing but the bolt holding the half of the mounting surface that's intact with the broken pieces acting as spacers.
The front end will be getting the treatment when we get rolling. I'm putting off installing the new flex brake lines until then too. Her racing days are over and I've never been a heavy brake user anyway. She has her Antique Auto tag and makes it look good. We'll be safe I promise!
I'm as nervous as a 3-legged cat in a sandbox over this engine build after reading stuff here. I look at this stock 60mm PR spring that has a slight banana curve to it and wonder should I trust it for another 228K. Have a good weekend mis amigos and thanks again. Orange Bus

P.S. Ol' Yeller there in my avatar turns 40 this year. She was my first and I guarantee she'll still bring it. She can do the "angel's harp" and the "horny angel" both in the same song. She's the reason my VW's have been neglected the last few years.

sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

Volswagon wrote:
Spike0180 wrote:
melville wrote:
cdennisg wrote:

Gonna punch out on this one. The potential of this going sideways is so great I can't even bear to watch it. This will not end well. All I can add is; Never and I mean NEVER second guess or go cheap when it comes to brakes! Yours is not the only life you have to take into consideration here. You are putting your life as well as your loved ones and every person on the same road with you at risk. This is true no mater how "careful" you promise to be.
SevenOaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do for your Bay recently? Reply with quote

For my ‘74 bus, had the steering box rebuilt, replaced the original, worn out dual Solexes with new dual baby Weber’s, got a new blue coil and electronic ignition, and had seals replaced so no oil leaks (for the time being).
The steering is now nice and tight, just like in my SC. The old carbs were leaking gas. I’ll get them rebuilt someday to keep the original bus that way but for now it starts and runs better than ever since I’ve owned it.

1966 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 422, 423, 424 ... 461, 462, 463  Next
Jump to:
Page 423 of 463

Jump to: