Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Muffler install/heater box frustration
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LindaP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Muffler install/heater box frustration Reply with quote

My 1963 came to me all nice and stock looking with the exception of the exhaust. I like a VW to sound like a VW but this is what it came with
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The engine in it is a 1300 and I ordered a stock muffler and tailpipes. The old one came off easily enough but I'm having a bear of time getting the new one on. The pipe that comes out of the end of the heater box has a flange on it.
Every image I've been able to find for a heater box shows a smooth pipe with no flange and looks longer than the pipe on my heater box. Because of this flange, the clamp wont fit over the connection.

Sad Advice please, I really don't want to have to put the old one back on.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler install/heater box frustration Reply with quote

LindaP wrote:
The pipe that comes out of the end of the heater box has a flange on it.
Every image I've been able to find for a heater box shows a smooth pipe with no flange and looks longer than the pipe on my heater box. Because of this flange, the clamp wont fit over the connection.

Sad Advice please, I really don't want to have to put the old one back on.

Here's what my heater box ends looked like when I rebuilt my engine 1.5 years ago. Looks like yours.

You need to add the curved flanges to these protruding ends, then your doughnut gasket, then the new muffler can be clamped on. And good that you've attached loosely until all is attached, I can see a nut on loosely in your photo.
Here's what my connection there looks like; notice that my clamp is rearwards of that ridge that protrudes.

So you need to add that curved flange/disc and then the doughnut gasket, then the exhaust. If you don't have these (one for each side), then you'll have to get some. See https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b/walker-5231/e...&pos=0
See the middle top in the photo? That's what I'm talking about. You need one of those on each side, hidden in my own photo under the clamp. My guess is that you have these, likely from your parts/old exhaust. If not, get some.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
LindaP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler install/heater box frustration Reply with quote

I was just out working on it again when I had a "duh!!" moment. I was trying to fit the clamp over the flange when it really needed to be on the smaller part of the pipe that's in from of the flange. Seems to be going well now, I'll know shortly! Anyone in Phoenix want my old exhaust?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler install/heater box frustration Reply with quote

There is a lot of flex in the heat exchangers and muffler systems. Get everything attached and lightly snugged down, then start tightening this and that all the way down.

Do use anti-seize on all threaded fasteners, and stop by your local Toyota dealer/shop to get some copper exhaust nuts to avoid breaking off those studs on the heads that the HEs and muffler are fastened with.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler install/heater box frustration Reply with quote

LindaP wrote:
The pipe that comes out of the end of the heater box has a flange on it. Because of this flange, the clamp wont fit over the connection.

That 'flange' you speak of looks to actually be the sealing ring that was left on the heater box outlet after you removed that old muffler. It's probably an old-style graphite ring which has now been replaced with the woven-metal style that comes in the current muffler installation kits. You just need to pry or cut that old one off before installing the new muffler and clamp kit.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler install/heater box frustration Reply with quote

LindaP wrote:
Anyone in Phoenix want my old exhaust?

I might be interested, I run "quiet exhausts" on my two VWs, but the extractor part of yours looks to be exactly the same as mine.

I'm in north Phoenix, but at this time of the year spend 85% of my time near Prescott, too hot and miserable in Phx. I have a VW at both places so I don't get withdrawal symptoms....

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler install/heater box frustration Reply with quote

That flange may be part of a heater box repair kit if the exhaust pipe was worn and needed repair

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Heater-Box-Repair-Pipe-Each-p/113-255-107rep-2509.htm
LindaP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler install/heater box frustration Reply with quote

Success! Finally sounds like a proper VW.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler install/heater box frustration Reply with quote

Great !!!
LindaP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler install/heater box frustration Reply with quote

That 'flange' you speak of looks to actually be the sealing ring that was left on the heater box outlet after you removed that old muffler. It's probably an old-style graphite ring which has now been replaced with the woven-metal style that comes in the current muffler installation kits. You just need to pry or cut that old one off before installing the new muffler and clamp kit.[/quote]

That's what I originally thought too, but after poking and prying I could see that it was definitely steel and structural. It appears that it is part of a pipe repair that was previously done on the heater box.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Muffler install/heater box frustration Reply with quote

Do check that the silencer pipes do not get loose in the clamps during the next 30 or so miles. If not checked you can easily loose one or both.

Helps to check the clamps that connect the muffler to the HEs also to keep them from vibrating around and wearing out the muffler seals.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: