Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

nice
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manandvwvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: nice Reply with quote

Last edited by Manandvwvan on Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:28 am; edited 4 times in total
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! I’m bare metal and my paint just bait and switched me Reply with quote

Great price if you can get it.

I was quoted $4200 to do some body work and get it into primer ready for paint...... on a Ghia.
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! I’m bare metal and my paint just bait and switched me Reply with quote

Hello,
Well,,Soooo, I'm just guessing here, but?. You were going to supply all the materials(sand paper,grinding discs, filler, tape, paper..ect.) and the primers and paint for the job; at that price?? correct????..
I don't know what you've been reading or smoking, but $1500-$2000 for a complete body and paint on a VW van. With only a "little body work and a few rust repairs...in the common areas", oh, is that fire damage on the right rear??... Man, that must be some good stuff you've got...
Oh, and you didn't help any with your prep job, is that bare metal on the left side?? Nice grinding pattern. What, did you run out of paint stripper or weed???
Sorry for the ragging but get real...
Heck, bring it over and I will tape it off with some old newspapers and Rinocoat it for you, with a roller. For, only $1400. What a bargain.... Don't worry, it will hide all those small imperfections...
Rant over....
Manandvwvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! I’m bare metal and my paint just bait and switched me Reply with quote

Last edited by Manandvwvan on Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! I’m bare metal and my paint just bait and switched me Reply with quote

Hello,
Well, take it to Maco then, if that's your standard of body and paint work. It's your van. Heck, Earls starts out at $299. You're the one asking for empathy on the actual cost of a body&paint work/project.
It's not hostility, it's reality.... materials cost money and labor is not cheap. But, then again, you get what you pay for....
What's the saying?. The only thing cheap about a VW today, is the one behind the wheel..
Good luck with your van... I'm sure it will look good at 20' going 30mph.. in the opposite direction.
Smiley faces, peace signs and all that crap to ya, see I'm not all that bad... Sorry, to hurt your feelings...
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Help! I’m bare metal and my paint just bait and switched me Reply with quote

I would expect to pay $6,000 to $8,000 to just "throw some paint on it." No shop that values their reputation would touch it without going over everything. I would say $10,000 is not out of line for a proper paint job.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! I’m bare metal and my paint just bait and switched me Reply with quote

I had bad luck..
Bought the car from CA and had it shipped to NY. Drove to NY to pick it up in The freaking snow.. long trip home in snow. Friends truck broke down on the way home.....made it home 6 hours later.
Paid a guy $1600 to sand blast all of the paint off and he ruined my doors, decklid, and sunroof.
Had to find new stuff.
One door in PA and one in CA.
Sunroof in CA.
Decklid from Iowa.
Meanwhile body set in “hold tight” with no protection
Body work guy charged me $5,000 to have it for a year and get it into final primer.
After ahead he told me it was done and to get ready for paint. I bought Paint, hardener and materials (another $2700)
Got into an argument with body man because he wouldn’t paint it off the chassis like we had agreed upon. Told me “he would think about it and let me know how much more to spray it the way I wanted to”
He text me back a week later and said $6,000 JUST TO SPRAY IT!
I picked my car up and got the fuc outta dodge.
Car sat for another few months in primer while I tried to line up a painter...problem is: no one wants to work AFTER someone else and that is very understandable.
Finally a friend of a friend suggested his friend....I trusted my buddy and went with it. He only charged $3500 to spray it (I already paid $2700 for the paint and materials)
The results are fantastic. Great communication, great guy, great job!
I am finally happy after 4 years of purchasing the car.
Omg it’s been too long man. 😢😢😢😢

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! I’m bare metal and my paint just bait and switched me Reply with quote

Wow, go to a paint supply and inquire. The going rate around here is $500-$600 to spray it. You pay for everything, that’s the labor. Paint is the easiest part, 90% of labor is getting it there.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! I’m bare metal and my paint just bait and switched me Reply with quote

If you look at the average paint job price nationally it's about $1,000 total. If you look at paint job prices supposedly paid here on this forum it's what, 4 grand maybe? If some one gives you a inflated price for work and you pay for it, I would try to rationalize how much better the job is too.
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! I’m bare metal and my paint just bait and switched me Reply with quote

This is why 'patina' is fairly popular now haha people don't have 10k for paint!

We paint our baja car, that gets bashed up, for less than $50 -good ol' Rust Oleum. There truly is a paint system for all budgets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: