Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buggy Build Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
You MUST be single, or else you have an EXTREMELY understanding better half... I feel fortunate but am not thinking bondo or glass work IN the house would go over well.

HAHAHA Laughing
My girlfriend lives with me. She wants the buggy done as bad as I want it done, so she doesn't really complain. Lucky me! Also my house is getting ready to go on the market, so maybe the smell of bondo will make potential home buyers think it has fresh paint or something inside!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

You should have ground back the gel coat and fiberglass on the top sides of the body and hood and laid in mat and resin. With the mat only on the back side they will flex and crack. Cracks need to be ground down quite a bit tapering out from the crack and progressively wider pieces of cloth laid up to build up the strength. Just laying one big piece of cloth is not going to give you a stable fix. It will flex and crack again.

brad
atomicmime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

Looking real good so far! Can I ask what size and brand tires those are?
'72 Westy
'79 Super Beetle (now electric!)
'13 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

Finally had some amazing weather to work on the buggy! Ran all the brake lines, put the drums on, and put the wheels on just to see how everything sits. It looks so awesome! It's finally taking shape. I am dropping the body off for paint tomorrow. He is taking care of all fiberglass and bondo because I am definitely no body guy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

Recently sold one of my other vehicles and freed up garage space, so I moved the buggy from my parents house, to my house. I herculined the floor last night, and it turned out incredible. Also cleaned up and installed the transaxle along with axles.

atomicmime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

Chassis progress looks great! Can I ask again, what size wheels, and make and size tires are those in the pics?
'72 Westy
'79 Super Beetle (now electric!)
'13 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

atomicmime wrote:
Chassis progress looks great! Can I ask again, what size wheels, and make and size tires are those in the pics?

I'm so sorry I didn't respond. The wheels are 15x8 in the rear, and 15x6 up front.

Tires in the rear are 275/65/15 and fronts are 205/60/15.

I will check the brands when I get home.
LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

I have a question! I recently acquired a Hurst Indy shifter out of a VW. It looks awesome and I would love to be able to use it, but for some reason it stays on a level plane, and wont push down for reverse. Am I looking over something or does this not work for the buggy? I got it for free and it looks really neat, so I'm just wondering. Thanks for any help!
vwnut1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

I love the Herculiner product. I also think it would look great on the sides of the fiberglass tub.
LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

This weekend I cleaned the motor up the best I could, and mounted it to the transaxle. I'm waiting for some motor pieces to arrive, then I can finish up the motor. In the mean time I installed some tail lights to see how they would look.

There is a 2x4 brace that I guessed they used when they built these buggies. I was originally going to use two bigger tail lights, but that brace is in a spot that won't allow it, so I just used a smaller outer light. Not my first choice, but it looked great anyway.

Body work is almost done and I can mount it on the chassis soon.

LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

why are the cylinder heads painted black?

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

LiveStoked wrote:
I have a question! I recently acquired a Hurst Indy shifter out of a VW. It looks awesome and I would love to be able to use it, but for some reason it stays on a level plane, and wont push down for reverse. Am I looking over something or does this not work for the buggy? I got it for free and it looks really neat, so I'm just wondering. Thanks for any help!

I had one of those years ago. That shifter doesn't press down for reverse. It has a detent type deal. From neutral you press hard to left to overide that stop or cam and you can feel it go farther. Then back to reverse.

Oh, hey! I just found this while I was typing. Hope it helps.

http://bradleygt.com/thread/2164/help-hurst-indy-shifter-vw

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

Mr.Duncan wrote:
why are the cylinder heads painted black?

It might be the lighting giving off the illusion they are black. They aren't painted or anything. I cleaned them all up to the best of my ability, and they actually look pretty clean. It could be a shadow.
LiveStoked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

BIGMIKEY wrote:

I had one of those years ago. That shifter doesn't press down for reverse. It has a detent type deal. From neutral you press hard to left to overide that stop or cam and you can feel it go farther. Then back to reverse.

Oh, hey! I just found this while I was typing. Hope it helps.

http://bradleygt.com/thread/2164/help-hurst-indy-shifter-vw

Mike T

Yes! That"s such great news! Did yours ever not work properly or anything? Does it take a little extra effort to push it over?
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

The one I had didn't work correctly for that detent thing. I believe that was because the Buggy I tried to use it in had an incorrectly shortened shift rod from the PO. It would kiss reverse on the 1-2 shift. Not good. The reason I think that is because a stock shifter didn't work either. I had to remake the rod. After I did then the stock shifter worked fine and I never re-tried the Indy. Don't remember what happened to it. Sold it I guess. Decades ago....

I do recall that there was a definite increase in effort to push the shifter past the "gate" thingy. The instructions say it was a "cam". OK. Don't remember if I ever understood the workings. Yours is, what, 45 years old? Missing parts? broke? I would be interested in seeing the workings. It is a neat enough looking shifter that it's worth trying to rejuvenate. For a era correct build maybe.

Mike T.

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Hartgeh3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

This thread just stopped abruptly, so did this buggy project get finished? If so, pictures?
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Buggy Build Thread Reply with quote

Hartgeh3 wrote:
This thread just stopped abruptly, so did this buggy project get finished? If so, pictures?

I would love to see how it turned out too. I will send him a PM. Such a cool build!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: