Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did you do yesterday on your buggy?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 192, 193, 194 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Only -22 this morning, we are gaining!

Not!

I took my intakes in to a welder yesterday to have them shortened - hopefully he can do it... it seems no one makes shorter ones for the type 4.
JaredJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Finally got around to checking deck height on the motor. Need more time in a day! Whose got that metric clock?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Recently widen'd the cooling air inlet duct I built for my buggy with enclosed engine compartment back in late 1970s, after burning out a few engines.

Went from the 5" (with 90° inlet turn and crushing issues) to 7" (with more gentle curves).

The original accordian style made for an easy route to fan shroud. New "adjustable elbow" made for a challenge to get around some obsticles. Had to reduce from 7" to 6", but fan shroud inlet is only 6" anyway.

I'm not really delighted with the outside appearance:

But, the cylinder head temperature gauge now max's 50~75°F cooler!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

I took it for one last rip on the old engine today then out it came!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Yesterday the new engine went in. Need to do all the hookups and build an exhaust system. Unfortunately there is vertually nothing available for a stock type 4 engine in a Buggy in a reasonable price range.
joehadams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Finally got around to making a radio for the buggy.

Over9K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

I gave my buggy a present... a fire extinguisher, after a wiring fire out back led to some anxious moments, and a big bad wolf impression to put out the burning fuel lines and wiring insulation...

Roasted the side of the distro cap, turned the fuel filter black with soot, crispy fried the fuel lines between the carb and the pump, and most of the engine wiring, but that's it.

Had some help in moments, in the form of my friendly neighborhood Bug whisperer, and the nearby local Advance Auto Parts, and from burning fire to burning tires was 30 minutes at most.

Bug man Bill went all drunken master with the crimps and the wire and then pulled the correct distro cap out of what I sincerely hope was his back pocket.

Couple soot smudges is the total extent of the damage remaining...

I think while the car was down for a front end rebuild during the winter, a furry friend might have had a minor snack of some wiring insulation out back...
gtrplyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

I finally have lights and floors. Now to work on the hazards and turn signals as they have me stumped. Sorry about the dust, dirt floor in a barn.

Metal Twister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Just finishing up a bench seat for a Bug. Had to relocate the ebrake. But other than that this should work just fine. Sits 6.25” off the floor for hump and carpet clearance, back flips forward and seat base flips up for under seat access, has seat slider adjusters.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Coppertub Wolfsburg Nose/Badge/Crest change.. from the 60-63 Black/Red style to the Yellow/White fake news one.
Laughing

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

We fixed the broken clutch tube bracket in the Manxter. Car had a Stage II clutch because of the Subaru STI engine. Luckly, it was the center bracket and not the front or rear one that would have been harder to fix. Tom

Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Doing this today.

The wipers on my buggy have not worked since I bought the car. The splined collar that is set-screwed to the pin shafts keep coming loose. The shafts are very worn now.

I think this is a 68-69 wiper assembly, and it is set up to park to the passenger side.

I looked around quite awhile for a later wiper assembly. Emailed a few people on The Samba Classifieds, but no one would respond. So I looked at the usual VW suppliers and everyone seemed to be out of stock. I called Aircooled Parts, and Fernando found a rebuilt unit that did not show up in inventory, but was on the shelf.

He got it out to me fast.

The first thing I noticed, looking at how the links were set up on the new assembly, was that it appears to park to the driver side. But I got to looking at it closer, and it appears you can loosen the drive arm and rotate it 180° to set it up for parking on the passenger side. I have not tested this yet, but am hopeful. I had already done this before I took the picture above.

Has anyone else had experience with this simple change, or do i need to find another assembly?

Parking the arms and blades on the passenger side will allow me to use a longer wiper arm and blade on the driver side, and I think that would be best for visibility.

By the way, the width between the shafts measures to be the same, about 15 11/16", for both the 68-69 and 70-72 wiper assemblies.

The overall thickness looks to be slightly greater for the 70-72 assembly, but it looks like it will clear the flange of my instrument panel opening in the dashboard, without having to trim away some fiberglass.

Also, he diameter of the 70-72 shaft assemblies are about 1/8 greater than the 68-69 assembly; and nearly an inch longer through the hood. I suppose the 70-72 wiper arms will compensate for this. The holes in my hood are already large enough to accept the larger shaft diameter

I thought about simply buying new 70-72 wiper shaft assemblies and installing them on the 68-69 wiper assembly, but was not sure if it would work at the time I opted for a completely rebuilt wiper assembly. Turns out, I would at least had needed to enlarge the holes in the 68-69 wiper assembly frame in order to install the later shaft assemblies; and even that would not guarantee me that the older links would fit the pins, bushings, and keepers on the newer shafts assemblies.

I could use assistance with finding proper arms and blades for the new 70-72 wiper assembly. I think I want the driver side arm and blade to be longer than in the stock 70-72 type 1, maybe 12" for each; But I think I will need to keep the passenger side very short to clear the windshield frame when parked. Got any ideas? I have heard that 70-72 type 3 arms and blades are longer than on the type 1.
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

It is a good idea to check your tow connections every time you stop to see if they are OK. This is what I found when I got home from a 1100 mile trip back from Manx in the Middle.

Whats wrong in this picture?

Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Yikes!
AstrumBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Popped out the mold I am making for one of two side pods. Borrowed the part from a friend and have been working on it for last few weeks. Very satisfying to have it pop out ok. Still have a hug amount of work to do to make the other side and then prepare for making the new side pods (which will also need some mods as they aren't a perfect fit for my buggy) but it's a positive step!

The white pod is the part I borrowed and the subsequent ones are the gel coat, fiberglass and final mold shots.

styroman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Nice!
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Replaced the key barrel in my 1-bolt engine lid latch with one from a big old 3-bolt:

Then, used the wealth of information provided by @Keith "Ovalteen" (and others) in this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456974

Now, my engine lid lock and ignition use the same key!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Finally got the adjustable front beam in. Liking the stance!

Before.

After.

SoCal67Volks Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Much needed 4 wheel alignment

"Making a car look complicated is easy, making it look simple is hard." John Buttera
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do yesterday on your buggy? Reply with quote

Quick answer: I fix'd the fail'd start position of my ignition switch.

Long story: While in route from South Florida to Northern Michigan, and still in Florida, I pull'd into a rest area. When ready to get going again, I turn the key, and... Nothing! Not even a click. So I push'd my buggy out to where I might get a push start. With help from a friendly truck driver, I'm back on my way. But worried 'cuz I'm no longer young, not strong enough to push start by myself anymore. Decided to stop on a hill near a motel in a city big enough to have a good auto parts store where I could get a battery or whatever's needed. Here's my buggy in the parking lot of an Advance Autoparts Store at Valdosta GA:

I used a wrench to short the large battery positive terminal on solenoid to the small start terminal from ignition switch. She crank'd up pronto. So I bought some wire, some terminal clips, and hot-wired the start function. Upon getting back home, pull'd the ignition switch out and open'd it up:

Had to use my Dremel to remove crimp'd metal from container housing, and then removed a cir-clip and retaining washer. This allow'd removal of back cover, revealing a very black contact pad. It clean'd up easily with paper towel, i.e. not burnt, just coated with some kind of black film. Lube'd it a bit and put it all back together, using strands of fiberglass to keep the back cover in place.

Best of all, it works! ...with the same key for ignition and engine lid lock.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 192, 193, 194 ... 197, 198, 199  Next
Jump to:
Page 193 of 199

Jump to: