Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Short driver woes
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Short driver woes Reply with quote

I've got a '68 that I'm restoring from the ground up. If you object with me not restoring it to stock then just scroll on past because Tiki Bus is gonna be customized to our wants and needs.

Seats and floor panels still need to be replaced.

I'm 5' and my wife is 4'11" and due to human bodies being human bodies I reach (where the pedals should be) just fine but the best she could probably do is pretty short drives.

I understand that the seat track will help with this a bit (We've still got to decide on what seats we're replacing stock with).

I understand we can use a smaller steering wheel to help with seat travel.

What are the options for an adjustable one though? Shorter shaft? Tilt?

Somewhere in the middle of this I realize that the shifter is going to have to be adjusted as well.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Short driver woes Reply with quote

Make or buy some thicker peddle pads and leave the rest alone. A smaller wheel will make steering harder.
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Short driver woes Reply with quote

They make a shift rod extension that bends rearward. I don't know if that would be at all helpful to you, but I think I have one around here that you could have for the cost of shipping.

How about a thick backrest cushion to move you forward some on the seat?

I remember my sister driving mom's '68. At five foot two she had to stand up for a shift into reverse. I find this funny because at six foot six I get out and walk around rather than use the walkthrough. Very Happy
72 Baja
BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Short driver woes Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
They make a shift rod extension that bends rearward. I don't know if that would be at all helpful to you, but I think I have one around here that you could have for the cost of shipping.

How about a thick backrest cushion to move you forward some on the seat?

I remember my sister driving mom's '68. At five foot two she had to stand up for a shift into reverse. I find this funny because at six foot six I get out and walk around rather than use the walkthrough. Very Happy

I'd gladly pay the shipping to have an option on hand...
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Short driver woes Reply with quote

Ok, let me find it. Think
72 Baja
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Short driver woes Reply with quote

Shifter extension
https://www.vwispwest.com/WG2711100.html?p=YzE9MzE2
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Short driver woes Reply with quote

Seat upgrades out of another vehicle for T2 Bay window Bus FAQ
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Short driver woes Reply with quote

Will I be tall enough to reach Pedals
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=687861&highlight=reach+pedal%2A
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Short driver woes Reply with quote

...Ok, found it, this one is straight, no bend.
P.M. sent.
72 Baja
Volswagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Short driver woes Reply with quote

I find that Japanese vehicles are better suited for smaller people.
Germans tended to be taller.

'75 Bus https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=697183&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Short driver woes Reply with quote

Volswagon wrote:

My solution is going to be using Japanese car parts to resolve the issue.

Custom dash, tilt steering, and maybe even seats from a Subaru...plus engine, transmission and so on.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Short driver woes Reply with quote

BlueWeasel wrote:
Volswagon wrote:

My solution is going to be using Japanese car parts to resolve the issue.

Custom dash, tilt steering, and maybe even seats from a Subaru...plus engine, transmission and so on.

absolutely - keep going on those parts and it will look, feel and ride like this. What you really need to decide is how much money you want to put into your VW bus. It may be that you want to buy one that needs some work and really customize it - or it may be more economical just to get one of these:

btw - my ex-wife was just over 5' and had no problem driving our bus.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BlueWeasel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Short driver woes Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

absolutely - keep going on those parts and it will look, feel and ride like this. What you really need to decide is how much money you want to put into your VW bus. It may be that you want to buy one that needs some work and really customize it - or it may be more economical just to get one of these:

btw - my ex-wife was just over 5' and had no problem driving our bus.

I'm at 5' and I have no problem. 4'11" for her seems to be a huge difference. And yeah, it's (conceptually) trending to be Subaru inside a VW Bus shell...but that's okay with me. The '68 is structurally sound enough that I'm currently on a better track cost wise than some of the other higher priced ones to then customize.

I look forward to the finished product, but the journey to get there is going to teach me a lot. When I take a pic of anything but the dash or engine compartment the purists...I think... will applaud my vision. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: