Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Coolant Leak! ... Solved..... Bad FLAPS pressure cap.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Solved..... Bad FLAPS pressure cap. Reply with quote

Aha! Thanks from today's village idiot.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Solved..... Bad FLAPS pressure cap. Reply with quote

We all
wondered the same thing the first time
we saw that FLAPS.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Solved..... Bad FLAPS pressure cap. Reply with quote

Well that's good to know about Napa, I actually stopped in at the Homer Napa this morning. Said they didn't have one available nearby. I called fellow dub nut here and said he's got a good used oem one I can have so I'm going to go that route. Thanks for the replies.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Solved..... Bad FLAPS pressure cap. Reply with quote

You can test the blue cap at the counter (the countermen may laugh) but if it's not good (not OEM VW or similar) don't buy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT8Ew43mNg4

I see someone found caps for $4…I would be very skeptical those work properly and if they do, for how long. My recently replaced cap was OG — said W GERMANY on it — so it's no great surprise it crapped out after 30+ years of service.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Solved..... Bad FLAPS pressure cap. Reply with quote

If the bottom cap is the faulty one from FLAPS, it's the same one that I just got from GoWesty. Hmmmm. I also tried the blow/suck test and when blowing into the neck, it is very hard to get air into it. Cannot create a trumpet sound. Another Hmmmm.

Craig
Colorado Yeti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Solved..... Bad FLAPS pressure cap. Reply with quote

Yeah, about that NAPA thing.....POS. Leaked like a submarine with a screen door when it got hot. When I tightened it down carefully a bit more to seat the seal, it stripped.

I guess I am ponying up the $$ for the RMW coolant tank. But at least I will be reassured that I am getting something of high quality and I will not have to worry about cooling system reliability.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Solved..... Bad FLAPS pressure cap. Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
If the bottom cap is the faulty one from FLAPS, it's the same one that I just got from GoWesty. Hmmmm. I also tried the blow/suck test and when blowing into the neck, it is very hard to get air into it. Cannot create a trumpet sound. Another Hmmmm.

I wasn't aware they could fail in the other direction (never relieving/venting pressure). Might be worth testing on something that can be measured more scientifically. Mine made a very musical tone…if I could upload videos here I would share it.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Solved..... Bad FLAPS pressure cap. Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
You can test the blue cap at the counter (the countermen may laugh) but if it's not good (not OEM VW or similar) don't buy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT8Ew43mNg4
The quality of that video is so astonishing, it's as if I shot it. Laughing Laughing Laughing

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Now isn't THAT Special...... Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Until better plans can be implemented I got a proper "Blau" coolant cap from Van-Cafe (and an oatmeal cookie!! Finally, back to good cookies ) . Threw away the crappy FLAPS cap that is leaking.

I probably should pull out my pressure tester and verify good before I run it though.....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dave

So I went online to VanCafe's site and they show the top "Blau" cap. I ordered two. I ended up receiving two of the bottom junk cap. They failed the blow/suck test. They're going back. Also, VanCafe's cookies don't taste as good as they use to....Tsk Tsk

Craig
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Now isn't THAT Special...... Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
Also, VanCafe's cookies don't taste as good as they use to....Tsk Tsk

Savage! I agree tho
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Solved..... Bad FLAPS pressure cap. Reply with quote

Well the used one from a friend was shot. Now I'm awaiting one I ordered through O'Reillys. Fingers crossed, but it sounds like I should get another one on the way. But from where? I will post results re the one I ordered. I was in anchorage yesterday and the vw dealership there said they were nla.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Solved..... Bad FLAPS pressure cap. Reply with quote

Dan,
If it's that black Dorman one on O-Reilly's site that has "do not open, 15psi" on top, it sure looks like it might work, though I don't know if 15psi is the correct pressure for our rigs.

Craig
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Solved..... Bad FLAPS pressure cap. Reply with quote

I hope so. I thought I'd read somewhere what psi a vanagon system runs. Sure wouldn't want to blow out my tank by running it at a higher pressure than its used to. When ordering that cap at oriellys there were no options of varying psi caps to choose from.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Solved..... Bad FLAPS pressure cap. Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
I hope so. I thought I'd read somewhere what psi a vanagon system runs. Sure wouldn't want to blow out my tank by running it at a higher pressure than its used to. When ordering that cap at oriellys there were no options of varying psi caps to choose from.

The pressure rating in in the Bentley IIRC. It is something like 16 psi.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Solved..... Bad FLAPS pressure cap. Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Well the used one from a friend was shot. Now I'm awaiting one I ordered through O'Reillys. Fingers crossed, but it sounds like I should get another one on the way. But from where? I will post results re the one I ordered. I was in anchorage yesterday and the vw dealership there said they were nla.

My local VW dealer (Seattle) says they have lots in their west coast warehouses. About $55, with tax.

I also bought one at Oreilly and had it replaced then returned. You're probably best going with OEM VW, unless this Dorman one tests OK. But then for how long?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Solved..... Bad FLAPS pressure cap. Reply with quote

OMG!!
I found online a parts place in Arizona who claimed they had the one I wanted. Here's a link:

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/025121321B

What I got was the cheapy one (lower one in the above pic). When I opened the package and saw a "made in China" sticker on the product's bag, my heart sank.

And get this! This is after I first called them to confirm that what I see pictured on their website is what I'll get. They replied with a "Sir, we only use pics of items we sell". LOL

Yeah, maybe I'll call a VW dealer.

Craig
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Solved..... Bad FLAPS pressure cap. Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
alaskadan wrote:

My local VW dealer (Seattle) says they have lots in their west coast warehouses. About $55, with tax.

I also bought one at Oreilly and had it replaced then returned. You're probably best going with OEM VW, unless this Dorman one tests OK. But then for how long?

Well dang. The oriellys one should be here tomorrow. 55 bucks huh, ouch. Is that a tank and cap? Probably oughta get one coming from them.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Solved..... Bad FLAPS pressure cap. Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:

Well dang. The oriellys one should be here tomorrow. 55 bucks huh, ouch. Is that a tank and cap? Probably oughta get one coming from them.

Sorry, just the cap… Crying or Very sad

I think an adapter that screws on the tank and accepts a standard FLAPS radiator cap would be a good idea. Best of both…keep the old tank for visual inspection and use a widely available cap for peace of mind.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Solved..... Bad FLAPS pressure cap. Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
OMG!!
I found online a parts place in Arizona who claimed they had the one I wanted. Here's a link:

https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/025121321B

What I got was the cheapy one (lower one in the above pic). When I opened the package and saw a "made in China" sticker on the product's bag, my heart sank.

It states quite clearly at that link & via a Vanagon parts search:

URO Parts Radiator Cap/Expansion Tank Cap; With Nipple; Female Thread
P/N: 025121321B URO Parts
Cross References: RC0003 025121321A 025121321D

Regardless of the photo, what they're selling is a URO brand cap. Confused
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Coolant Leak! ... Solved..... Bad FLAPS pressure cap. Reply with quote

Unused
Return
Only
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: