Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 106, 107, 108 ... 112, 113, 114  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

ManFromNapa wrote:
Awesome thread! Amazing information!

Before I start buying I wanted to get some feedback. Based upon everyone's posts and where I want to have my 67 sit I'm thinking:

Front
2.5" drop spindles
Stock Beam
Disc brake conversion (Wilwood)
Stock 15" wheels
145/65 tires (Smart car)

Rear:
2.5" Drop Spring plates
stock wheels
195/65 tires
Disc brakes

I know every car is different, but am I on the right track? Any obvious mistakes?

Also, I found this nice little took that calculates and compares tire sizes. Someone might need it:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Depends on what you are going for. For one, you really shouldn't be putting 195's on stock 4" wheels. Can you do it? Sure. Is it recommended? No. Also, look where the edge of your tire is now in comparison to the edge of your fender. Now kick it out some for the spindle, another inch for the disk brakes and more for the tire and see where that will be. Now lower the fender by 2.5". My guess is you will be rubbing on the tire possibly. But with the non lowered beam, you may be ok. If you ever decide to go lower you will almost definitely rub without a narrowed beam. Adding wider wheels, depending on the backspacing will make it worse.

Concerning your disk brake conversion... why? Properly tuned drums work fine. Unless you are running autocross and heating the brakes up there really isn't much of a need except to empty your wallet.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
ManFromNapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
ManFromNapa wrote:
Awesome thread! Amazing information!

Before I start buying I wanted to get some feedback. Based upon everyone's posts and where I want to have my 67 sit I'm thinking:

Front
2.5" drop spindles
Stock Beam
Disc brake conversion (Wilwood)
Stock 15" wheels
145/65 tires (Smart car)

Rear:
2.5" Drop Spring plates
stock wheels
195/65 tires
Disc brakes

I know every car is different, but am I on the right track? Any obvious mistakes?

Also, I found this nice little took that calculates and compares tire sizes. Someone might need it:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Depends on what you are going for. For one, you really shouldn't be putting 195's on stock 4" wheels. Can you do it? Sure. Is it recommended? No. Also, look where the edge of your tire is now in comparison to the edge of your fender. Now kick it out some for the spindle, another inch for the disk brakes and more for the tire and see where that will be. Now lower the fender by 2.5". My guess is you will be rubbing on the tire possibly. But with the non lowered beam, you may be ok. If you ever decide to go lower you will almost definitely rub without a narrowed beam. Adding wider wheels, depending on the backspacing will make it worse.

Concerning your disk brake conversion... why? Properly tuned drums work fine. Unless you are running autocross and heating the brakes up there really isn't much of a need except to empty your wallet.

I got the 67 in a non-operational state. There is nothing to currently compare.

As for disc brakes... The old brake system needs to be 100% replaced, and it's for my 16 year old son. So it's an "upgrade" that makes me feel better.

Check out my band, Thru The Haze
http://www.thruthehazeband.com/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zarzamora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Here’s mine,
1965 Beetle Sedan “Zachariah”

Front
EMPI 2 1/2" dropped spindles and 5x130 disc brakes
2.5" narrowed adjustable beam with shock towers
Sunfull SF688 175/55/15

Rear
Spline – lowered 1 “click”
Wide 5 Rims widen 6 1/2 - Stock Drums
Starfire RS-C 2.0 215/65/15

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Envixy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Zarzamora wrote:
Here’s mine,

Front
Sunfull SF688 175/55/15

Rear

I gotta see your 9 inch wide fives for sale on this haaha. I want to buy them but they would probably have issues with long axles huh ? Evil or Very Mad
Zarzamora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Envixy wrote:
Zarzamora wrote:
Here’s mine,

Front
Sunfull SF688 175/55/15

Rear

I gotta see your 9 inch wide fives for sale on this haaha. I want to buy them but they would probably have issues with long axles huh ? Evil or Very Mad

To be honest I'm not sure, I haven't tried to put them on my Bug. I made a trade for them from a friend that has a Manx style Dune Buggy. He wanted some stock wheels and I happen to have some lying around. I would love to put them on but I would think I would have to go with wider rear fenders and "tube" out the rear ...

I would imagine it would look something like this,

ericgordVa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

71 standard
repop gasburners/black Porsche logos

front- 145R15 firestone tires
3.5in stock narrowed beam
drop spindles
5/8 throughrods
monroe 756 shocks with 3/8 hydraulic line
HD swaybar
CB disc brakes

rear- 205/70/15 cooper tires "do not rub"
no torsions
no bumpstops
jaison710 bag bracket kit
2500 bags with 3/8 hydraulic line

480c comp with 4 gallon compressor
emperorwurm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Front - nankang 145/15
2.5 empire drop spindle w/ discs
2 in narrowed beam

Rear- Nankang 205/65r15
Lowered 1 notch

walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

ericgordva was that your car at simple transport last year?very beautiful car
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
centerpunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Ancient Mariner wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Post lowering. 2.5" spindles and 2" narrowed adjustable beam.

Nailed it! Cool

Thank you. Now if I can just get it to track correctly and its all good to go. lol.

So..... how are those 16" wheels and 195/55/16 tires doing?

I just bought a stock (except for a hopped up motor) '67, and I really like those wheels and that tire size.

Is the steering hard? Any rubbing problems at stock height? Any rubbing problems after your lowering?

Did you get the algnment straightened out?
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

centerpunch wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Ancient Mariner wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
Post lowering. 2.5" spindles and 2" narrowed adjustable beam.

Nailed it! Cool

Thank you. Now if I can just get it to track correctly and its all good to go. lol.

So..... how are those 16" wheels and 195/55/16 tires doing?

I just bought a stock (except for a hopped up motor) '67, and I really like those wheels and that tire size.

Is the steering hard? Any rubbing problems at stock height? Any rubbing problems after your lowering?

Did you get the algnment straightened out?

Currently the car is in storage so I’m not driving it much. There is a problem with the steering being stiff but I’m attributing it to the spindles not being right. I ended up taking it somewhere to be aligned and it tracks well. I’m still deciding what to do with the car so not sure if I’m going to invest in rebuilding the spindles or just put stock spindles on and drop it with the beam.

Obviously no rubbing at stock height and don’t have any lowered either but I have it conservatively lowered. Much more and I would go with a narrower beam.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
centerpunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

Currently the car is in storage so I’m not driving it much. There is a problem with the steering being stiff but I’m attributing it to the spindles not being right. I ended up taking it somewhere to be aligned and it tracks well. I’m still deciding what to do with the car so not sure if I’m going to invest in rebuilding the spindles or just put stock spindles on and drop it with the beam.

Obviously no rubbing at stock height and don’t have any lowered either but I have it conservatively lowered. Much more and I would go with a narrower beam.

So the steering wasn't stiff when you did the wide tires, it got only stiff after you did the drop spindles?
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

centerpunch wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

So the steering wasn't stiff when you did the wide tires, it got only stiff after you did the drop spindles?

I did them at the same time... I have 185/60's on my 60' and there aren't any stiff steering issues. I used to have 195's "back in the day" on a 63'. Wider tires don't necessarily equate to stiff steering. Perhaps in a static, situation like turning the wheel while sitting, but if you're moving a slightly wider tire isn't going to make that much of a difference.

My 60 for reference:

185/60/15 front on 15x5.5" wheels 3.75" backspacing, 205/65/15 rear on 15x5.5 with stock back spacing.
TastyTuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

front:
4" narrowed and shockless beam
2.5" drop spindles
rear:
jerfab drop plates
pete and jakes hot rod shocks

wheels:
rep fumigallies 15x4fr 15x6rr
135s
205/65
or
bbt sprintstars 15x4.5fr 15x5.5rr
135s
205/65s
ericgordVa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

walter kandetzki wrote:
ericgordva was that your car at simple transport last year?very beautiful car

I was there, but the 71 wasn't on air last year
ericgordVa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

4in narrowed shockless German beam with adjusters all the way down
155/60/15 tires

Rear
One outer click down
Trimmed bump stops
Stock 165r15 tires

centerpunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Just bought this '67 via oldbug.com.

It had stock steelies on front, widened ones on back, with 165-60-15 and 185-60-15 tires, which really don't fill the wheelwells.

I bought Vintage 190 alloy wheels, 4.5F and 5.5R, with 175-65-15 and 195-65-15 tires.

Car has dropped spindles but standard width beam I think.

Not sure I like the rears- pretty close to sticking out- I may go to 4.5" wheels and 175-65 all around.

Last edited by centerpunch on Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

I think it looks good Very Happy
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
TastyTuner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

kinda has that vintage racer stance. looks great!
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

If you change to short axles your wheels won`t stick out. And 175/65'S are really low profile for the rear.
centerpunch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Pictures of tire, wheel, and suspension thread for FAQ's Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
If you change to short axles your wheels won`t stick out. And 175/65'S are really low profile for the rear.

But taller than the 185/60's that were on it!

Maybe I should have done 185-65 rear- but 10mm diff not very big!

So........ changing to short axles- sounds like a lot of work? The car has 4 wheel discs, but no documentation from previous owner on that (or anything else!)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 106, 107, 108 ... 112, 113, 114  Next
Jump to:
Page 107 of 114

Jump to: