Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1966 Fuel Problems
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calebthebaeleb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: 1966 Fuel Problems Reply with quote

Hey everybody!

So today I got my beetle running and started taking it for a drive around the block after solving my fuel issues. I replaced all rubber fuel lines and the bug was finally able to run by itself, but as we pulled out of our street, it died and wouldn't start unless I filled the float bowl in the carb.

When I prime the carb by filling the float bowl manually, fuel trickles into the filter but doesn't fill it. It seems as though now there isn't enough fuel getting through to the pump or carb.

Help is appreciated!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have the fuel filter off to the side in the engine bay
[/quote]

Last edited by calebthebaeleb on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:08 am; edited 3 times in total
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Fuel isn't getting to the carb 1966 Reply with quote

Make sure you have the fuel line connections to and from the pump correctly oriented.

Remove the fuel line from the carb. Don't pull on it! You may end up pulling the brass nipple from the carb body pulling on the hose.

Tip the end of the hose into a clear container. Have someone crank the engine and see if the pump is functioning. I can't remember how much fuel the pump delivers per minute, but it will be noticeable if the pump is working.

If your not getting fuel the pump may have lost it's prime. I use a squeeze bottle from HF and prime the suction side of the pump as well as fill the carb before starting a long dormant engine. It's happened twice for me.

If that doesn't work, you may just need a new pump.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
calebthebaeleb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Fuel isn't getting to the carb 1966 Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
If your not getting fuel the pump may have lost it's prime. I use a squeeze bottle from HF and prime the suction side of the pump as well as fill the carb before starting a long dormant engine.

That may be it! It likely doesn't have any prime. I'll try this and come back with results. Thank you!
calebthebaeleb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Fuel isn't getting to the carb 1966 Reply with quote

No luck with priming the pump, I'm thinking it's the pump so I'm gonna order a new one and hope that works!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Fuel isn't getting to the carb 1966 Reply with quote

Pull your dip stick and give it a sniff.
If the oil smells like gas. You're gonna have to change the oil.

How long was the engine sitting since last running?

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Fuel isn't getting to the carb 1966 Reply with quote

This happened to me recently. I cleaned and treated tank, blew out hard lines, ran weed eater line through hard lines, blew out the tank screen, replaced soft lines and filter. Pump was fine veins perfect now.
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Fuel isn't getting to the carb 1966 Reply with quote

Wrong fuel pump with alternator conversion, hope you can remove it if you need to. As mentioned, check condition of the fuel tank/strainer/hard lines for clogs/sediment. Fuel filter should be under the tank or next to the transmission, not in the engine compartment. Same with the oil filter assembly, that should be outside the engine compartment as well. Best of luck!!!
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Fuel isn't getting to the carb 1966 Reply with quote

Wrong fuel pump with alternator conversion, hope you can remove it if you need to. As mentioned, check condition of the fuel tank/strainer/hard lines for clogs/sediment. Fuel filter should be under the tank or next to the transmission, not in the engine compartment. Same with the oil filter assembly, that should be outside the engine compartment as well. Best of luck!!!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Fuel isn't getting to the carb 1966 Reply with quote

This should be really straightforward to troubleshoot. See if fuel is getting to the fuel pump.

If so, check connections, correct length of pushrod, fuel pump itself, carb float valve.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
calebthebaeleb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Fuel isn't getting to the carb 1966 Reply with quote

Alrighty everyone, I took a trip down to the shop today and bought a new fuel pump and that fixed the issue. However it exposed another issue, the carb needs to be cleaned and rebuilt, it dies on idle. I can keep it alive by playing with the throttle but idling after it warms up is a no go.

I did research on the issue with using a generator pump with the alternator swapped and it seems to be fine to use a generator pump with it. The only difference is clearence between the generator pump and alternator pump. The gen pump is completely vertical so often it comes in contact with the alternator because they have a wider diameter than a generator. As long as you use the proper length pump push rod it should work perfectly fine. The alternator and generator are completely isolated systems from the mechanical fuel pumps so as long as the pump clears the alt or gen, it should work fine.

Thank you for all the help! I'll update after I take another trip to the shop to buy a carb rebuild kit and get that carb cleaned up.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Fuel isn't getting to the carb 1966 Reply with quote

I'd still clean out the tank and fuel line.
calebthebaeleb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help! Fuel isn't getting to the carb 1966 Reply with quote

HippyTom wrote:
I'd still clean out the tank and fuel line.

The OC got rid of the filter in the tank so nothing to check there. I replaced all of the rubber lines and ran weed wacker line and blew air through the metal ones.

That's why this was puzzling to me. The lines were clear so fuel should have been making it through all the time but it was only happening sometimes. Other times the car would die and run out of fuel. New fuel pump solved my problem so it's all okay now!

Thank you for the help everyone!
calebthebaeleb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! Fuel isn't getting to the carb 1966 Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Pull your dip stick and give it a sniff.
If the oil smells like gas. You're gonna have to change the oil.

How long was the engine sitting since last running?

Good Luck.

Yup definitely smells of fuel Confused Gonna do an oil change today. Thank you for the heads up, I would have never thought to smell the oil. I knew it needed an oil change but that just kinda seals the deal. Thank you!
calebthebaeleb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1966 Pearl White Problems Reply with quote

Update: I bought a carburetor rebuild kit and went to work disassembling the carb. Some of the parts like the accelerator pump wouldn't come loose. I also realized that I was given the wrong kit. So now I've decided to buy a new carb so I can get it on the road. The one it has right now will end up still being rebuilt and probably kept as a backup carb.

I can't do the oil change well without running the engine so I need a carb and I don't know if I really want to put the time in to rebuild the carb it has.

I took off the running boards today and ended up shearing a couple of bolts, I'm gonna have to drill them out and get new ones. I did however get the running boards off so I got a good look at them. There are a couple holes going through so I'm gonna buy new ones and replace the new skinny chrome trim with the original wide ones.

On the upside though, my full body paint correction is finished Very Happy
Before:

After:

Looks like I'm off to an hour drive tomorrow to Bugformance to pick up new running boards and a carb.

Everything always turns out to be more time consuming and monetarily intensive than originally predicted Rolling Eyes :lol
calebthebaeleb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1966 Pigalle Pearl White Reply with quote

I bought a new carb and went ahead and installed it. It fired right up, warmed up the engine and did an oil change. Then I took it for a ride around the block and it died. No fuel getting to the filter and probably the carb. Now it won't run more than a minute or two before the engine starves of fuel.

Maybe I need to go through the lines and check for a clog again. I'm kinda at a loss because I've gone through (at least in my eyes) everything that may be the source of my problem. Guess I may have to double check. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: