Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

Looks like you have a H engine. Only the one oil relief valve. No oil control valve.

Also, the leak at the generator stand could be attributed to the fact that the four nuts that hold th stand to the block are not tight enough. In fact, if you look closely, you’ll see the left lock washer hasn’t even pressed down enough to press both ends of the washer flat. Notice how the ends are not in line with the other.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
spectre1995
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

I'll have to look into the vacuum advance on the distributor. I had a thought it may have been off, but that's the way it was hooked up before I rebuilt the carburetor so that's basically what I went off of. Doesn't necessarily mean it was correct though.

I'll tighten up those alternator bracket nuts. Shouldn't be much of a big deal. I'm looking around for the thermostat, but I haven't been able to find it. Where should I look on this engine? In the event that it doesn't have one,I assume it's something I should replace ASAP?
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

spectre1995 wrote:
I'll have to look into the vacuum advance on the distributor. I had a thought it may have been off, but that's the way it was hooked up before I rebuilt the carburetor so that's basically what I went off of. Doesn't necessarily mean it was correct though.

I'll tighten up those alternator bracket nuts. Shouldn't be much of a big deal. I'm looking around for the thermostat, but I haven't been able to find it. Where should I look on this engine? In the event that it doesn't have one,I assume it's something I should replace ASAP?

Passenger side of block, up next to the push rod tubes
sb001's pic from gallery:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For cheap, easy monitoring of your engine temps consider the "Save my bug" dipstick temp probe. With that it will alert you to engine overheating by flickering or lighting your oil light in the speedo and you can visually estimate your engine oil temps by popping the decklid and looking at the wire.
http://www.savemybug.com/

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

I have the SaveMyBug dipstick. Good product. I like that it keeps the appearances stock, is easily removed, easy to install, warns automatically of a potential overheat issue, is cheap, and can still be used to visually spot check the oil temps.

It functions much (near exactly) like the old 'coil' home furnace thermostats to perform it's duty.

Assuming that the metal/innards of the dipstick have a linear relationship between the position of the wire and the oil temperature (a fairly safe assumption). I determined this:

If you rotate the SMB dipstick so that the screw head will be contacted by the copper rod/wire at approximately the 12 o'clock position, you can estimate the oil temps you are having by simply looking at the wire's position on the 'clockface"

I worked it out with how many "minutes" (degrees of rotation) equals each degree of oil temp, but I left that note card in my owner's manual, which is with the Bug at the transmission shop right now, but I do remember that:

9:00 is approximately 190*F

I also think 8:00 was somewhere in the 170*F range.

Typically my stock 1600DP runs between those temps.

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
spectre1995
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

I appreciate the suggestion for the thermometer dipstick. I'm going to order one of those for sure, it'll save me a lot of trouble in the long run.

As for the thermostat, I'm almost 100% certain my car is missing one. From underneath, there are two steel plates blocking my full view of the cylinders from underneath, I'm going to get those off today and see if I still can't see it in there.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil Pressure Indicator light flickering at idle (1973 Super) Reply with quote

Best to have a working thermostat but not necessary especially in the summer. Just as long as if there are flaps installed that the spring in back on the lever is hooked up and the crank's on them are connected. This holds the flaps in the full open position. Great for California! Now if you don't even have flaps then that is not as good but not so bad that you have to do anything about it though. Just worry about that the flaps are fully open that the spring is there if it has flaps! Then get a thermostat figured out in a future rebuild.
I think that is an AH case number, not an H case.
An AH number like the one below falls within the 73 production year case numbers.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: