Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie with a throw out bearing issue
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sstgermain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Hi Everyone, my bug starting squeaking and groaning, at first it would go away when I pushed the clutch, after a few hours it didn’t make a difference. My first try idea was changing the transaxle fluid but that didn’t help.
I’ve pulled the engine and the bearing seems to spin freely. Can any see something that I don’t?

Thanks
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

Check the pilot bearing in the gland nut behind the pressure plate.
The input shaft from the trans that is inserted into the pilot bearing looks dry.
There should be some amount of grease on the shaft and in the pilot bearing.
Some, not allot.

Make sure that before you undo the pressure plate. You have the clutch alignment tool to get things back in place.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Sstgermain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

Thank you, I’ll pull it apart and have a look. Just a little high pressure grease on the shaft?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

Also, check your crankshaft endplay. That clutch engagement detail makes me think it is the engine. When you push on the clutch pedal, the throwout bearing engages the pressure plate. The force being applied to the pressure plate is also being applied back by the crankshaft thrust bearing. You know, Newton, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. In this case, irt is the crankshaft.

What does the engine oil look like? Sump plate? Can you move the crankshaft? Using both hands, grab the crankshaft pulley and push the pulley into the engine, then pull it back towards you. How much did it move? Should be .003 - .005 with a wear limit of .006. If that crankshaft moves more than that, you have noise!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

Honestly, I use wheel bearing grease.
Put a dab on the pinky finger and run it around the inside of the bearing. You also want to lube the input shaft splines lightly. Where the clutch disc rides on it. Then wipe it off with a shop rag leaving the splines filled with the residual grease.
Just don't over due the bearing disc lube. There's room in the engine end of the gland nut for excess lube. But if you fill that space.
You can hydraulically drive the pilot bearing out of the gland nut.
I have seen it done on a Corvair pilot bushing.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

Sstgermain wrote:
Hi Everyone, my bug starting squeaking and groaning, at first it would go away when I pushed the clutch

A bad throwout bearing oftentimes makes noise when the pedal is pushed down, and no noise when the pedal is up.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Sstgermain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

Thanks Cusser, that’s what I figured and why I started with changing the transaxle fluid. On a good note my trans shifts beautifully now lol

I change the engine oil twice a year even with my short driving season. I did the oil and valves back in April when I took it out of storage. I’ll measure endplay and have a look at the pilot bearing in the morning.
Thanks again for the help
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

Sstgermain wrote:
Thanks Cusser, that’s what I figured and why I started with changing the transaxle fluid. On a good note my trans shifts beautifully now lol

That's good to hear. Many ignore the 30K gear oil changeovers because it's a minor hassle. I use a pump that goes on a gear oil bottle, and made a loop from copper tubing to go in the end of the flexible plastic to "fit/lock" into the fill hole while I pump.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Sstgermain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

Well it looks to me like it’s the gland nut. It’s dry and whatever the PO used for grease is more like glue. The endplay was good so a new glad nut and bearing it is.

ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

Sstgermain wrote:

Something doesn't look right with that clutch and PP. The discoloring looks like uneven wear. And the surface of the PP has a strange radial line pattern that makes me wonder if the PP was slipping?? Are the fingers of the PP diaphragm even? Could the PP surface, PP fingers or disc be uneven?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

I agree Ashman40, The wear is only on the outer edge of the PP and disc. Never seen that. I would replace with new. Not worth the money to put in and try, to only have to remove again..

Hey, if the Gland nut was bad, what did the input shaft end look like? They sometimes get all chewed up when the gland nut goes bad!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Sstgermain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

The fingers on the PP all look even but I will definitely install a new clutch and PP. the end of the shaft looks fine but I’ll add a picture. I do remember an old VW guy one day say that the motor was an old industrial engine and that it’s probably a 180mm and a HD clutch should be used. Maybe that’s the issue.
Thanks again for all the info!

Last edited by Sstgermain on Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sstgermain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

Upon closer inspection.... the centre of the PP looks to be off centered and the throw out bearing has some pretty serious wear on both retaining ears.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

The input shaft looks good.

The PP has a lot wrong with it. Hot spots, discoloration, uneven surface wear. Just really odd.

What does the flywheel look like?

The TO looks wasted. Really high heat. Badly discolored. Replace that too.Put a small dab of high temp grease on the throw out arm, where the TO bearing sits in it. It will keep the TO bearing from looking like the ears of that one does! That nasty looking!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Sstgermain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo thanks for the tip on the arm that’s a great idea.
Here’s a picture of the flywheel, the surface is smooth to the touch even though it looks like groves in the picture.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

Are there chatter marks where the gland nut washer would be? Looked different than normal.

Maybe it was all just an improperly torqued gland nut! Would explain the odd wear pattern!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Sstgermain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo there is some marks where the glandnut meets the flywheel. There’s some blue spots on the flywheel from heat. There was also no O ring on the back of the flywheel. I’ll bring it in to see if it can be resurfaced if not I’ll replace it. Doesn’t make sense to change everything else and leave the flywheel in this condition.

Thanks again!

Horance
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

This may be a silly question but can the Pilot beating in the gland nut be replaced?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

Horance wrote:
This may be a silly question but can the Pilot beating in the gland nut be replaced?

Read this:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Transmission-Input-Shaft-Pilot-Bearing-p/111-105-313a.htm
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with a throw out bearing issue Reply with quote

Sstgermain wrote:

... there is some marks where the glandnut meets the flywheel. There’s some blue spots on the flywheel from heat.

The dowel holes still look good. If the gland nut where loose it would quickly pound out the dowel holes. If they look the same on the crank side it is probably still good.

Sstgermain wrote:
I’ll bring it in to see if it can be resurfaced if not I’ll replace it. Doesn’t make sense to change everything else and leave the flywheel in this condition.

I found this thread on the spec for flycutting the friction surface of the flywheel and making sure the "PP shelf" is also cut to maintain the proper height.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7451260

modok wrote:
... the "12volt 200mm clutch" type flywheel, Dimension A (difference between PP mounting surface and face of flywheel) should be 21.0mm-21.2mm

The min-max allowable height difference is only 0.2mm = 0.0079"!!

Sstgermain wrote:
There was also no O ring on the back of the flywheel.

It is important you match the flywheel with the crank. Here are pics that show the difference in the flywheel and crank snout between the o-ring and earlier gasket cranks.

Borrowed pics from glutamodo:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: