Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

Dial indicator is cheap at Harbor freight.

The Mainshaft bearing is a thermal interference fit into the gear carrier housing. Mainshaft bearing controls the axial movement of the mainshaft (appx zero movement) . If the bearing is loose in its bore you need a new or sleeved housing. Can’t have the mainshaft slopping about. It has to resist gear thrust.

How are you planning to clean the Peloquin? Yourself? Or is your rebuilder capable of cleaning the Peloquin and how much $$ will that add? Some don’t clean it cuz its fulla worms, then it pollutes your new trans with old trash.

.....uncharacteristically short posts cuz Im out in the woods....

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

It's a bit of a chore to disassemble the Peloquin. The key is to use a T-bar when removing the allen head bolts, so the bolt heads don't strip. I think Gary Peloquin will do it for mailing charge only if you send it to him.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

Use some old stiff painture to check the "contractual picture?"

If you dont have clearance on the pinion, may be the pinion is not adjusted well.

With that much crlearance on the main ball bearing your 4th idler is touching the bearing shield inside on load in 3rd and 4th, which can produce noice.

You need to mashine grind the nose to get the marks off, and to use a new or welded bearing retainer. All ball bearings are moving in the shield a bit on a hot box. Thats not a problem. Ofc it is better to have a shield where the bearing enters with load when cold. I glew them always in, heating the shield up before, knowing it weill become loose with time.
If ginding the nose you need to grind also the axle of the bearing retainer which enters into the nose.
Dont use paper gasket on the nose. I see it wasnt already there.
jasonpap2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Dial indicator is cheap at Harbor freight.
How are you planning to clean the Peloquin? Yourself? Or is your rebuilder capable of cleaning the Peloquin and how much $$ will that add? Some don’t clean it cuz its fulla worms, then it pollutes your new trans with old trash.

I should have thought of HF, will purchase one maybe today. Thank you.

@sodo and @gears and @waldi
Solid consensus on next steps, I greatly appreciate it.

I am going to remove the nose on my spare transmission and check similar condition of the main bearing (first see if loose/not loose) and if there is similar wear on the case (related to first step). In general my spare transmission feels "tighter" overall and so I am hopeful.

It is looking more and more that I should send the spare transmission to the rebuilder rather than the transmission I just removed from the van. I don't want the taller 3rd/4th and it appears to be in worse condition. I do however want the peloquin.

My thoughts initially were to "simply" remove the Peloquin to simplify shipping to rebuilder. I wasn't thinking about disassembling it. I also didn't think about cleaning it, but yes that makes sense - no contaminants please. And if that involves more than bathing it in clean oil then I should send it to the Peloquin company. I will check into this as an option.

Will report back once I have HF dial indicator + have pulled nose off of spare transmission to check condition.

Thank you all again!

~Jason
jasonpap2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

Did not make it to HF for dial indicator. Hope to do so tomorrow.

Opened the spare transmission.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Unfortunately not much better than the other, although feels slightly better.

Was hoping for pristine but what can you do. The transmission likely has ~140k on it from a 1.9 wbx.

Also spoke to Gary Peloquin today (he called back after I emailed). Said it was ok to flush with oil prior to reinstalling but did not indicate anything else would be required. He also indicated that there was current problems with FAG pinion bearings that may require some hand shaping (2 tenths at most). Sodo, this reminded me of your post:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=685481&highlight=pinion+bearing+hand+ground

Anyway - am still thinking of sending the extra transmission instead of the one I recently pulled but want to get dial indicator on both. Worst case I send both (whats another $100, ugh).

Thanks folks, more when I have it.

~Jason
jasonpap2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

Wanted to provide an update. I sent both transmissions to my rebuilder (Bill @ Arizona Transaxle Exchange).

Feedback -

The trans that was in the van was pretty well worn out. The pinion bearing was going and it caused the ring and pinion to start eroding.

The Quaife is good and the Weddle 3rd and 4th look good although they are the tallest ratio they make. This makes sense as I had a huge gap between 2nd and 3rd (and hated it).

The plan is to rebuild the backup transmission. It has a good 4.86 ring & pinion (the one from the van was a 4.83). The pinion bore is loose unfortunately and so a steel sleeve will be added.

Going to add South African oiling plates, and a steel mainshaft thrust retainer. Sticking with the stock 3rd gear, but moving to a 0.82 4th gear. Drill and tap for a temperature sensor.

Can't wait!

~Jason
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

I am under the impression that Installing the oiling plates will prevent you from using the fill hole for pumping and filtering as described in Sodo posts. While at it you might also drill an aux filler port for this?

Where are you putting the temp sensor?
Thanks for sharing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

For those readers who do lots of dirt, have a Wasserboxer (the OP here has a Subie), and don't care about less revs on the highway, and/or have tires larger than stock 25-something inches, I cannot recommend changing to a 5.43 ring & pinion enough!

We went to 16s and BFGs are 27" tall. Please make sure you know your "permanent" tire height, gearing revolves much around that. I would not recommend changing 4th just for better mileage, not with a stock engine anyway, might be okay if traveling mostly on flat ground, otherwise I know I wouldn't like it. In my view the stock engines can utilize more revs not less, and altitude worsens this.

Bill did ours and is one fine supplier and person, please say Hello!

We also did the SA plate and the mainshaft plate, and went to a .78 4th to lessen top gear revs slightly. The only loss is a larger gap from 3rd to 4th but it's nominal and a fair trade for better acceleration and climbing for all gears up to 4th. If doing it over I'd have left gearing stock but added a 5th gear in the form of a Granny 1st. Waaah.

Arizona Transaxle installed a new Paul Guard 4th gear, one of the first off the shelf, built by "Gears" here -- and definitely an upgrade from Weddle in materials and strength!!!

Enjoy!

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

I'd like that as well but AFAIK that isn't really an option with a T3 2wd tranny. It is only the 2 highest gears that are individually selectable, the lower gears are machined into the mainshaft. So gearing choices and spacing are limited at the low end by available mainshaft versions.

Mark

E1 wrote:
.... If doing it over I'd have left gearing stock but added a 5th gear in the form of a Granny 1st....
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
I am under the impression that Installing the oiling plates will prevent you from using the fill hole for pumping and filtering as described in Sodo posts. While at it you might also drill an aux filler port for this?

Where are you putting the temp sensor?
Thanks for sharing.

Oiling plates don't prevent use of the filler bung for pumping/filtering. They simply prevent one of the benefits.
The plate near the filler hole blocks the path to squirt a jet of cooled oil into the "4th gear mesh" which also cools the mainshaft bearing. So if you add this plate, you lose the option to directly cool 4th gear & the mainshaft bearing. This is only a problem if you think you might add a pump system. Keep in mind it's a big-engine thing. Nobody knows,,,, but some of us think pumping/cooling should be considered "around 150HP" or if you want to drive 75mph+.

I hear lots of folks say they don't believe in the oiling plates. In the machinery journals I've seen several times where they added plates to carry oil upward. Its a feasible method, the only question is does it actually work for this application. Would VW SouthAfrica just do this on a whim? Who has info they can share, on that process VW SA used to determine that it is actually working?

When this pumping thing got re-started (after Herman posted it 10 years ago), filtering was considered a side benefit. But then internet searches found machinery journals with eqpt. failure reports and solutions. Where case after case after case of reduced lifetime (of over-driven machinery) the FIRST order of business was lubricant analysis, and first recommended action was always to implement a clean lubricant program. Over and over and over. So could Vanagon owners just skip the analysis and go directly to the clean lubricant program?

Changing oil often costs far less than a pump system, but then you have to actually DO IT before it gets "too contaminated" and when is that? But filtering while you're driving, removing the funque as soon as its produced, "feels good" and you can sing "go greased lightning" as you squirt down the highway. Wink

Pumping/filtering/cooling remains out of reach for most owners. Heck even changing oil often is out of reach for most owners.. But if you're 150+HP you should put "frequent transaxle lubricant changes" on your maintenance list, or just budget for sooner transaxle rebuilds.

jasonpap2002 wrote:
The Quaife is good

What? I thought you had a Peloquin....
And Gary Peloquin told you his diff can be "rinsed clean"? Hmmmm. I'd have to look again at one (apart). I will ask SyncroShop again about rinsing it. Peloquins are not a simple disassembly. I recall Syncroshop said the Peloquin probably doesn't hold much trash,,,,but I don't know if he's even inclined to answer such questions though. If you ask him a question like that he'll make you stand the corner and think about what you just said (incidentally there is an ultrasonic parts cleaner in that corner, and probably a big pile of parts waiting,,,, in case anyone was just standing around....)

jasonpap2002 wrote:
Weddle 3rd and 4th look good although they are the tallest ratio they make. This makes sense as I had a huge gap between 2nd and 3rd (and hated it).

Got pics? How many miles on the Weddle gears? No pitting where the tooth tip touches the root?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

crazyvwvanman wrote:
I'd like that as well but AFAIK that isn't really an option with a T3 2wd tranny. It is only the 2 highest gears that are individually selectable, the lower gears are machined into the mainshaft. So gearing choices and spacing are limited at the low end by available mainshaft versions.

Mark

E1 wrote:
.... If doing it over I'd have left gearing stock but added a 5th gear in the form of a Granny 1st....

Thanks Mark, think I said it back half-backwards.

I meant that by changing to a shorter R&P (from 4.83 to 5.43 or more) you'd have a Granny 1st and could still add a slightly-lower revving new 5th.

Thanks for making me clarify.

— Colin Chapman
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

The only thing difficult about TBD disassembly is removal of the allen head bolts holding it together.
A T-bar MUST be used to break the Loctite bond .. or you'll almost for certain strip the bolt heads.
(Hold the TBD solidly in place in a press.)
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

som ppl will aways ignore facts that do dont fit their preopinion.
Like scoops or oil plates do not work.
jasonpap2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

Great questions folks, will gather info and reply.

Sodo, I have not explored the 3rd and 4th gear myself and so can't comment on wear, I am providing feedback from Bill @ Arizona. He indicates they are good (did not say "like new") but I want to move away from such tall gears and so am switching to stock 3rd ratio and a new 4th.

In general - it sounds like oiling plates may provide value. However, it is not encouraged to add them if I want to move to filtering b/c they block oil to 4th.

Waldi - I don't know which camp you fall in - do you feel that SA oiling plates add value if one was not to add filtering?

If the consensus is that oiling plates are not worth anything in any scenario then I will leave them off, monitor temperature carefully and change fluid "often" (once a year at min). At some point I can then add a filter (although now is the time to drill and tap if needed, I need to review Sodo's posts again).

~Jason
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

jasonpap2002 wrote:
Great questions folks, will gather info and

If the consensus is that oiling plates are not worth anything in any scenario then I will leave them off, monitor temperature carefully and change fluid "often" (once a year at min). At some point I can then add a filter (although now is the time to drill and tap if needed, I need to review Sodo's posts again).

~Jason

Might I suggest a comprise to oiling plates?

Notch the oiling plates to provide a future path for filtering?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

I'd take every benefit you can get, if you could get cool oil past them to the 4th gear mesh. Then whenever the pump is NOT running, you have the oiling plates working. There was a buzzword for them in the machinery journal, it was something that made sense, something like "oil climb plates". Anyway it's NOT an invention by VW south Africa, they are simply adding known gearbox oiling methods. But who has "the data" how well they work? Nobody I've ever heard has any proof or comparisons. But I'd say it's pretty likely they are worth using.

They cannot even compare to a pumping system in function, but significant plusses are: they cost less, are reliable, available, and builders know how to install them.

The problem with "notching" the plates is the path (from the oil filler bung to the 4th gear mesh) goes right thru the mounting bolt. This kind of mod is real hard for a tranny rebuilder to do. If you can take all the parts to your shop, figure it out, then give it all back to the builder that would be good. But how many builders can work like that?

It's sad to choose one or the other.
Herman chose BOTH.

Sorry jasonpap2002 I know this doesn't really HELP you. The thing is, you HAVE an EJ25. If you have the ability to build a reliable pumping system, want fil;tering too, and you think you will enjoy the project,,,,,,, Well then I'll say I really like my system, and I bet my transaxle does too. Wink

Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

If somebody do not see evidence that plates work, based on this pics, well, no coment.

jasonpap2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

jasonpap2002 wrote:
The Quaife is good

What? I thought you had a Peloquin....

Hi Sodo - I wanted to confirm with Bill that I do have a peloquin, I mispoke. Smile

Going to read through rest of emails, some very helpful info here.

Jason
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

Waldi wrote:
If somebody do not see evidence that plates work, based on this pics, well, no coment.

Waldi, "somebody do not see any mounting holes for South Africa style oil splash plates in your pic". But your pic shows evidence of a lot of oil thrown, where the synthetic oil has cleaned the black from the left side wall of the trans. So are you saying that 3rd and 4th gears are well-oiled (at all speeds) thus splash plates are NOT necessary?

Heres a pic (from another thread) of the VW South Africa oiling splash plates (black plastic) mounted with M6 hex screws. Pic is from thread SA oiling/splash plates.

jasonpap2002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Transmission Q - looking for ring + pinion opinions (long) Reply with quote

Been a bit of time and wanted to provide a status update.

Transaxle is back from Bill at Arizona Transaxle... Man there is nothing like a clean, rebuilt transaxle. Sure glad they didn't paint it (personal preference).

I filled with 85x90 oil (dinosaur) and installed. Bill indicated to run it that way for 1,000 miles and then switch to Swepco.

New Lobro CV joints with Swepco grease that I replaced while I was in denial about the transaxle noise:

Close up of the temp sensor:

And a drive to the park:

All I can say is that it's like driving a ghost ship - no transmission sounds at all. I honestly didn't know vanagons could be this quiet (my first).

With the new gear ratios (very close to stock), it shifts much better too - feels right. I have the ej25 but have no intention of running it at 75+ mph and the engine has excellent mpg as it is, don't need the tall 3rd/4th.

Sodo - I also had Bill drill and tap for a filter. One step at a time.

I'm now buttoning up the exhaust a bit more and driving it gingerly while I gain confidence. I replaced the rear main seal while I was in there and so far, not leaking. Also replaced clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and clutch slave and that seems to be working (doing some adjustment on pedal height).

Still need to figure out the odd stumble I get in the idle when I pull to a stop after about 20 seconds but thats another story.

Will keep you updated as to progress! Thanks to all for the advice along the journey.

Jason
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: