Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Color sand and buff question
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keary_lewis0303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Color sand and buff question Reply with quote

My car has fresh paint but I need to do some color sanding and buffing to remove some dirt and runs. I understand the concept in how to do it but I'm afraid to burn through the difficult areas. So I want to leave those areas alone. So my question is if I sand the center main areas will you see a a difference or will it kind of blend in. An example below of the area in yellow that I would leave alone. Or can I hand buff these areas lightly and tape off the edges and valley's to avoid any burns.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Color sand and buff question Reply with quote

I would leave it alone and have my painter do it. Too much of a risk in my opinion!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Color sand and buff question Reply with quote

Go to a detailing specific website like autogeek.net and go to the forum there and see the various color sanding products and how to's. Be careful of ridges and edges where paint is the thinnest and you can burn through more easily.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Color sand and buff question Reply with quote

If you were to look at paint and body forum here and more specifically the stickies above that there is an excellent thread on how to do it yourself. At the very least read it and decide if you are up to the task. It’s not something mysterious requiring an expert to perform. It’s more common sense and proper technique. Good luck 👍🏽
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Color sand and buff question Reply with quote

Is easier to sand off runs and respray that area. The result will be better.
35 year veteran auto restoration expert.
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Color sand and buff question Reply with quote

Use a sharpie marker to color over the areas you want to wetsand. This will act as a guide coat so you can see how much you're sanding off, and know when to *stop* sanding when the guide coat is gone so you don't go too far. You can sand any shape this way without fear of sanding through. I do body lines and weird shapes all the time using this method. You'll want to use 1000 grit on block made from 1/16" plexiglass to block the run flat. The thin plexiglass will curve to match the surface but is hard enough to cut the top of the run down. A soft block will cause you to sand through easier without leveling the run. You can also mask out around the run so you're only sanding the run. Once the run is flat color the sanded area with more sharpie marker guide coat and sand with 2500 grit before buffing.

You'll also want to shave down the runs with a razor blade before sanding. You can buy run shaving files, but a razor blade works better. Wrap the very ends of a razor blade with 2-3 layers of tape to space the blade up off the flat part of the paint so you're only shaving down the run.

Here a a few "difficult" areas I've wetsanded and buffed with no burn through. One of my pet peeves is body lines or "difficult areas" that people don't wetsand and buff, so you end up with some areas of the paint job that still have orange peel.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Color sand and buff question Reply with quote

Man I just wanna eat it like an M&M!
Wow!!!!!
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Color sand and buff question Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:
Use a sharpie marker to color over the areas you want to wetsand. This will act as a guide coat so you can see how much you're sanding off, and know when to *stop* sanding when the guide coat is gone so you don't go too far. You can sand any shape this way without fear of sanding through. I do body lines and weird shapes all the time using this method. You'll want to use 1000 grit on block made from 1/16" plexiglass to block the run flat. The thin plexiglass will curve to match the surface but is hard enough to cut the top of the run down. A soft block will cause you to sand through easier without leveling the run. You can also mask out around the run so you're only sanding the run. Once the run is flat color the sanded area with more sharpie marker guide coat and sand with 2500 grit before buffing.

You'll also want to shave down the runs with a razor blade before sanding. You can buy run shaving files, but a razor blade works better. Wrap the very ends of a razor blade with 2-3 layers of tape to space the blade up off the flat part of the paint so you're only shaving down the run.

Here a a few "difficult" areas I've wetsanded and buffed with no burn through. One of my pet peeves is body lines or "difficult areas" that people don't wetsand and buff, so you end up with some areas of the paint job that still have orange peel.

Just where did you come up with the sharpie idea?

Oh and since you pine to see my work, here’s a 1st place winner GTO. No cut no buff. Right out of the gun. And look at the date. That’s my old notchback in the natural mirror.

I can post a picture of the trophy too if you need it.

Here’s another
No buffing there’s more in my favorites of the same bus.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Color sand and buff question Reply with quote

Question.... is this single stage paint ?
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Color sand and buff question Reply with quote

Those look great for no buffing, what paint were you using?

I cut/buff everything. Even after switching to thinner clear (non-high solids) I'm getting less orange peel, but still get the "urethane wave" that seems to be inevitable with urethane clear. Blocking the clear gets rid of that.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
keary_lewis0303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Color sand and buff question Reply with quote

theastronaut wrote:

Ok its on it's way to South Carolina Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: