Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

still having trouble with axcleration
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mini t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: still having trouble with axcleration Reply with quote

ok heres what i have stock 1600 single port with 30/31 205 dizzy duel canons . i've set the valves have electronic set the timing per hot spark ins but can't seem to get it not stumble on take off from idle new rebuilt carb only 2 year ago. any help would be great thanks in advance
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: still having trouble with axcleration Reply with quote

mini t wrote:
ok heres what i have stock 1600 single port with 30/31 205 dizzy duel canons . i've set the valves have electronic set the timing per hot spark ins but can't seem to get it not stumble on take off from idle new rebuilt carb only 2 year ago. any help would be great thanks in advance

While it's running.
Is the intake manifold directly under the carb icing up? If so, that's the affect of the dual cannons not supplying heat to the intake manifold. This causes the fuel to condense into droplets, rather than stay in a vaporous form.

In other words. It's not gonna run very well.

When I was a kid we had a Manx buggy that had dual cannons. That thing iced up all the time. Never got it sorted.

You might want to consider a different exhaust system to combat the icing issue if this is what's going on with your engine.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
mini t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: still having trouble with axcleration Reply with quote

it runs good except for from idle take off cannons have heat risers atached to manifold
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: still having trouble with axcleration Reply with quote

A picture of the setup would be handy.
Changing the exhaust, changing the air filter, and putting a different model carburetor on the engine than it was supposed to have, all may require jetting changes. Although, that does not mean changing the jetting is the best fix. you can adjust the carburetor to work with the engine, OR, you can adjust the engine to work with the carburetor.
Most carburetor problems are not carburetor related.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: still having trouble with axcleration Reply with quote

what distributor are you running? most 30/31s end up running better with centrifugal distributors in my experience
mini t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: still having trouble with axcleration Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
this is what i'm running k&n air filter that you can't see
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: still having trouble with axcleration Reply with quote

Single Stock Carb, reminds me of the first Empi Extractor bought in 1969. Put on my brand new 1969 bug. It was doing the same thing.

Empi said did you use the larger main Jet we sent with the exhaust??

What main jet?? Luck I did not throw out the box. it was a 130 main jet.

In those days, ha, extractors came with main jets.

Instantly fixed the problem, the exhaust made the engine run lean.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
k-weaver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: still having trouble with axcleration Reply with quote

Might be a dumb question but i'm gonna ask anyway...Are the heat risers in the exhaust drilled out? I know the EMPI headers that come with the heat risers are plugged.

Sounds like it could also be a jetting issue.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: still having trouble with axcleration Reply with quote

That distributor may not like the vacuum signal from that carb. The 30/31 is not an exact copy of any stock VW carb, so the vacuum ports are not layed out the same. I have not had a reason to test one, but I have heard that the angled lower port on the back of the carb (with the yellow cap on your photo) may have a vacuum signal that is better suited to the distributor you are running.

Of course, you could use a vacuum gauge to test if the port is providing the correct vacuum signal. You could also use a timing light to see if the distributor is advancing correctly. Or you could just switch the vacuum line over to that port and see if it runs better.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
mini t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: still having trouble with axcleration Reply with quote

heat risers are drilled going to check jet size today and try the other vac port
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: still having trouble with axcleration Reply with quote

that distributor is connected to the wrong port on the carb.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frank Bassman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: still having trouble with axcleration Reply with quote

If this is a 30/31 carb, test both ports carefully. The angled bottom port works for SVDA distributors. (Tested this myself, it is ported vacuum)

The side port has worked for me with SVA, NON centrifugal distributors such as the one shown in the picture. It is a much weaker signal than the bottom one because the diaphragm works with much less vacuum than an svda.

The bottom port will cause immediate max advance when the throttle opens.

Clean your idle jet.

-Frank
mini t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: still having trouble with axcleration Reply with quote

what port should it be on
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: still having trouble with axcleration Reply with quote

appears to be a SVSA distributor (vacuum only), which should be MAP not ported vacuum. But i'm old and my eyes may be deceiving me. Left port is correct for SVDA.

What is the distributor #?

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mini t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: still having trouble with axcleration Reply with quote

205t
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: still having trouble with axcleration Reply with quote

Make sure you are on the proper port for the vacuum advance. Make sure the advance is actually working - apply vacuum to it and see it if is in fact advancing.

What is your initial timing? Total timing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: