Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.9L Bleeder Valve Question
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texxxxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: 1.9L Bleeder Valve Question Reply with quote

Hello-

I suspect I have an air bubble in my 1.9L cooling system. I have never understood what is supposed to happen when I unscrew the engine bay bleeder junction screw. Radiator bleeder working fine; pressure tank and overflow levels fine and consistent. Just getting the flashing red light occasionally and I am certain coolant level is good and no leaks. I understand it could be the coolant level sensor in the pressure tank, but I just want to know what is supposed to happen when I unscrew that plastic bleeder screw.

Mine just unscrews A LOT and nothing happens when the van is running and up to temperature/pressure; thermostat open, outlet hose hot. I would expect some coolant to come out somewhere when I unscrew it.

I am guessing it is broken and needs to be replaced. Yes? No?

Thanks-Alex
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.9L Bleeder Valve Question Reply with quote

Nothing comes out of that bleeder - you just open it to aid the system in bleeding air out.

Sometimes I forget to open it during bleeding - doesn't seem to matter.

If you have just a bit of air in the system it will usually work its way out over a number of heating cycles.

Sometimes a long downhill run during a hot drive will create a condition wherein the light flashes - doesn't seem to matter or last long.
Texxxxx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9L Bleeder Valve Question Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Nothing comes out of that bleeder - you just open it to aid the system in bleeding air out.

Thanks, Ahwahnee. I was expecting it to work like the radiator bleed; pressurized air, then coolant when you opened it.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1.9L Bleeder Valve Question Reply with quote

Texxxxx wrote:
I was expecting it to work like the radiator bleed; pressurized air, then coolant when you opened it.

Yeah it discharges via the hose back into the system. I replaced this valve because the knob on the old one was broken off. I do use it when I replace the coolant but have no idea if it does anything - it doesn't seem to make any noise or indication of working.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: