Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Empi Sportster Roll Call
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orangewood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

1965 Empi Sportster. Empi assembled no 65-272. PO found it stored in the back of a VW repair shop in Blythe Cal. in 2004. He bought it and moved it to his garage in Lake Havasu AZ. It sat untouched until he moved and listed it for sale on Samba in 2014. I bought it and moved to my garage in Phoenix AZ. It again sat untouched until I got it out and started working on it last month. It looks to be all original except for mods probably made in the late 1970s.
1600 DP , converted to 12 volt, gas tank changed to gauge type, speedometer changed to 72 with gas gauge, oil pressure gauge added, seats changed,original red paint sprayed yellow. It is rust free and is exactly like it was when the PO found it in 2004.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Orangewood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

1965 Empi Sportster. Empi assembled no 65-272. PO found it stored in the back of a VW repair shop in Blythe Cal. in 2004. He bought it and moved it to his garage in Lake Havasu AZ. It sat untouched until he moved and listed it for sale on Samba in 2014. I bought it and moved to my garage in Phoenix AZ. It again sat untouched until I got it out and started working on it last month. It looks to be all original except for mods probably made in the late 1970s.
1600 DP , converted to 12 volt, gas tank changed to gauge type, speedometer changed to 72 with gas gauge, oil pressure gauge added, seats changed,original red paint sprayed yellow. It is rust free and is exactly like it was when the PO found it in 2004.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello Orangewood,

That ride is MINT! Glad you got it back on the road again. Keep us updated with any new images.

Tony
Bakersfield.
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Nice ride good to see another coming around, Keep us posted . Its funny to see another with the back wall of the bed notched out for the exhaust pipes mine has the same thing and the other one I had was the same way.
johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hey Orangewood; What are your plans?
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Today I decided to move the side bars back a little to make it getting in and out easier . I moved it back just the length of the flange so I only had to drill one new hole. But let me tell you I had to pull those bars all the way out and clean them with some steel wool I then put some grease (lightly) on them and worked them back on. It like to have worked me to death they had been on a WHILE.

But it did make a difference in getting in and out and the arm rest on the seats still have room to fold forward if needed. Im glad its tight that could be a source of a rattle if not tight. I used some more of some anti-skid tape I had to cover the hole that was left and the yellow paint that was showing from the old paint job. It measures about 18 inchs at the bottom and 22 at the top were the bar starts its curve.
turbodaves
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Just finished the "Super Sportster"

Stainless steel body, David Barrett chassis, Ecotec 2.2 engine, 091 Bus trans,
Fox front coil-overs, Fox rear shocks. tilt steering wheel, epower electric power steering.

Zarzamora
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

A good friend of mine just built this one, really nice!

vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Man that thing is nice !!! Love the stance, love to see some more pics of engine and dash. What kind of head lights are those never seen any like that. Thanks for sharing Super Sharp.
Orangewood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Is it considered a Sportster barn find if there is a chicken nesting in the battery box?
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Chicken power!
EarlT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Took advantage of sunshine in Tacoma (rare). Sanded the old paint and put on bed liner. I was going to over paint in blue and leave the fenders black. The black body looks nice, kind of stealthy.
My rust-free body turned out to have a bit of lace.
More to come. Fenders next then engine implant. Will keep you posted.

EarlT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Anyone change the solid steering shaft for newer collapsible?
For safety?
Or is it a good thing to do?
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Hello EarlT,

I think that would be a great idea to upgrade any equipment that would keep you safe. I have been considering when I have the chance to upgrade my Sportster to make a better roll cage (SCCA RULES or Baja), racing fuel cell and make the electrics very simple.
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Saw this one at Bugorama today. It was just recently finished by Frank of Gardnerville, NV. Love the color, its bench seat and the flat tank he mounted beneath the cargo bed

johnnyniceguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Dandy little Sportster! Would love to know or see more details of the Bench seat. Did anyone get a chance to sit on it?
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Summer is here! Lets see some new pics of Empi Sportsters.
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

vponder wrote:
What kind of head lights are those never seen any like that. Thanks for sharing Super Sharp.

Similar to these -

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/upd-31555

bnc
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Digit69.
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Empi Sportster Roll Call Reply with quote

I'll be prepping mine today going to Volksfest in Jacksonville Fla tomorrow first time going there its a indoor show at the fair grounds. Leaving at 5 am. Will be the first time towing with my new trailer should handle well. Maybe some more Sportsters will be there. Haven't made any changes to mine got to get working on the inside kick panel areas . Old blue carpet there thats been painted going to take all that out and go back with new black carpet and touch up the paint .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 33

Jump to: