Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Locating fuel sender hook-up
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Locating fuel sender hook-up Reply with quote

I'm trying to find the fuel sender to that I can connect it to my new wiring loom. I've had a search around in the engine bay but can't find any obvious wire to connect up with. Anyone able to tell me where I should be looking exactly:

to the left of the engine...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The cables top right are for a leisure battery split charge I believe. There is also something that has metal fins just behind the black bow with the thick red wires - top middle-ish right

I thought it could be the metal square tin object just top right of the two grommits but these seems to go to the alternator/generator?

Thanks!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Locating fuel sender hook-up Reply with quote

What a mess!

On a 68-71 the sender wire emerges from the lower RH corner of the tank closure panel beside the voltage regulator, it's brown with a white stripe and is often in a black or grey sheath, it's pinched between the tank panel and the body.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Locating fuel sender hook-up Reply with quote

Remove the top and side screws and you should be able to pull the firewall cover back far enough to get your arm in there to connect the new wire to the fuel sender.
Firewall screws

It is located on top of the petro tank.
Thnx to Goodhand77 for cutting a hole.
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating fuel sender hook-up Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
What a mess!.

What is particular is wrong in the engine bay. This bus has been liad up for 15 years and I'll soon be getting the engine over-hauled so any feedback is most welcome!
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Locating fuel sender hook-up Reply with quote

Thanks for replies regarding the location of the fuel sender wire.

The original fuel sender wire is in my engine bay somewhere so I just need to find and should'nt have to take the firewall cover off.

Busdaddy - using this photo that I've borrowed from the archive - is it the green arrow I have added. I think that A B are the main loom running the length of the bus and the battery hook-up to the started motor. But the brown wire coming of this running left could be it?

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Locating fuel sender hook-up Reply with quote

Yes, that's it.

As far as the mess it seems you are dealing with the wiring already, the fuel filter would be better under the bus at the tank outlet, the 009 distributor isn't the best choice, the missing grommets, seals and holes are going to admit dust and warm air, and the overall dirtyness makes for hot running and maintenance jobs nastier.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating fuel sender hook-up Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of re-wiring so yes all of those loose wires will be tidied up and sorted. The grommits are loose only since I pulled them out fo rthe new loom. I'm close to attempting to start it after running the new loom, once that goal has been achieved I will switch to the engine and have that properly fixed.

I know very little about the engine, so much so that I'm going to have ask:

- which item is the fuel filter?
- which is the 009 distributor cap

Don't laugh.. Smile
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating fuel sender hook-up Reply with quote

The fuel filter is zip tied to the side of the ignition coil.
Your distributor is a mechanical advance only unit, ofter called a 009 after it's part number. Most aer cheap repros and even the real deal doesn't have a well matched advance curve for a bus or 34PICT-3, it'll drive much better with a SVDA or DVDA distributor matched to the carb and vehicle.

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating fuel sender hook-up Reply with quote

Are you going to cut the brown wire?
spacebiscuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating fuel sender hook-up Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:

The photo I added with the green arrow is not my bus, I just borrowed it to ask the question. I'm hoping the brown wire form the sender in my bus goes to a terminal connector which I can plug into.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Locating fuel sender hook-up Reply with quote

spacebiscuit wrote:
Tcash wrote:

The photo I added with the green arrow is not my bus, I just borrowed it to ask the question. I'm hoping the brown wire form the sender in my bus goes to a terminal connector which I can plug into.

The wire diagram says there is terminal connector by the tank. You will have to find it.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Locating fuel sender hook-up Reply with quote

Looks like you’ve got the factory wire connector right here:

Robbie

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: