Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old issue rearing it head
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Old issue rearing it head Reply with quote

1978 Super Beetle fuel injected has been giving me problems. Started with AsiaB3 shorting out my dual relay and been fighting issues ever since.

Right before I moved back to IN, it started acting up.
Thought i fixed a loose wire and it ran fine.

Last night, drove to town, picked up some beer and the car just died pulling out.

Quick check was the fuel pump was not working. Had it towed home, did the jumper wire on the DR and got it running today. Went to town and had no issues.

My guess is the DR is fried again. I am so sick of paying $80 to burn them out. I am sorry I ever met Robbie.

Got my VOM here and will confirm the issue before ordering another DR.

Rant over, lol
Kevin

Click to view image
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Old issue rearing it head Reply with quote

Sorry man. That sucks. Wish that I could help.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Old issue rearing it head Reply with quote

I know Jimbo, appreciate the support. It's time for a deep dive into the wiring from the ignition to the Dual Relay and find out what the issue is. At least I will know where the wiring fault is. Easier with 2 people...

And it is fricken 90+ and 80% humidity, lol

Kevin

Click to view image
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Old issue rearing it head Reply with quote

The fuel pump relay I had in my Porsche a 924S would act up intermittently. I would wiggle it and it would work for a while. I took it apart and discovered it had a cracked base and broken solder joint right on a pin connection. Got a good used relay out of a 911 problem solved. Looks like your relay is available online. There is a possibility your relay is fine and that it is what controls the relay or a connector to the ECU or something making a poor connection. They just grease those connectors with electrical grease and plug them in. Check for tarnished pins. The ECU is a box of electronics located somewhere probably under the driver's seat or someplace. Hope it is good, not sure there is a replacement for it anymore. I see used ECU Boxes form $44-$139. Also, check with AutoZone.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Old issue rearing it head Reply with quote

Can you tell what side of the relay is failing , fuel pump side or computer side .
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Old issue rearing it head Reply with quote

It's the fuel pump side that is failing. I have been down this road before. I can bypass the start side and jump it so that the fuel pump starts with the key on and it will run just fine.

Rockerarm sent me some good info about bypassing this circuit completely with another one I build from a Rabbit setup. I will probably go that route as the dual relay is about $90 and this would be the 5th one I have purchased.

Kevin

Click to view image
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Old issue rearing it head Reply with quote

Hey Kevin,

Can you just run new wiring to the fuel pump side of the relay? It sounds like one of those may be compromised and spiking in some way. Maybe from the wire frying that Robbie did to the harness!

I would bet when those ground wires got some voltage, some of those terminals got cooked. When they do that the metal looses it hold on the wire. They sometimes need to recrimped or a whole new connector installed. I bet it is on one of those wires!

Wish you were still living in Lake Forest, I'd shoot over there.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Old issue rearing it head Reply with quote

KKiley wrote:
1978 Super Beetle fuel injected has been giving me problems. Started with AsiaB3 shorting out my dual relay and been fighting issues ever since.

Right before I moved back to IN, it started acting up.
Thought i fixed a loose wire and it ran fine.

Last night, drove to town, picked up some beer and the car just died pulling out.

Quick check was the fuel pump was not working. Had it towed home, did the jumper wire on the DR and got it running today. Went to town and had no issues.

My guess is the DR is fried again. I am so sick of paying $80 to burn them out. I am sorry I ever met Robbie.

Got my VOM here and will confirm the issue before ordering another DR.

Rant over, lol
Kevin

AsiaB3 (Robbie) has helped a lot of folks on here. Is it fair to lay the blame on him for wrecking your electrics? Maybe your car is not really stock wired.

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Old issue rearing it head Reply with quote

Quote:
AsiaB3 (Robbie) has helped a lot of folks on here. Is it fair to lay the blame on him for wrecking your electrics? Maybe your car is not really stock wired.

It's stock and was fine before he touched it. He wrecked my DR and left me hanging to go drink beer.

Check my other thread on this. There is a picture showing exactly where he compromised my system. I have been fighting this for almost a year now. It's the other guys on here that have helped me work thru this. Guys I respect. That is why I keep posting so I can enjoy my car.

Kevin

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Old issue rearing it head Reply with quote

I think Jimbo is right, the wiring on the fuel pump side is compromised. Rockerarm sent me some good info to create a new circuit and I am going down that route. I will end up with a $7 relay vs $90

Kevin

Click to view image
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Old issue rearing it head Reply with quote

Volks Wagen wrote:

It was crappy work, left unfinished. Robbie pulled the sealed cover off of his AFM. Then reshaped the wiper arm to make new contact points with the rheostat board. He bent it so that when it went to WOT, it would touch the exterior metal enclosure box and short to ground. Each time it touched the inside of the AFM metal cover box, it fried the double relay.

So, Kevin would get it running. Idling in the driveway, thinking all was good. Go for a drive, never opening up the throttle the whole time. Then when he finally stomped on the pedal, ………………the double relay's smoke got out in the cabin and the car died. Left him having it to be towed a number of times.

No good mechanic I knew in my past days, touched the inside of the AFMs. They were off limits. We sent them out to a local shop that rebuilt them. Even when I was sent to the Bosch service classes, the instructors there would explain how it all worked, but cautioned against opening Pandora's box.

So long to short. Kevin placed his faith in a guy that said he could fix it. Did not fix it and worse. Left the car in worse shape then when he arrived. Not cool! I felt for Kevin and drove the 20 miles over to his place with several specialized tools to figure out what was going on. When I got it narrowed done to the AFM. I told him to get a new one. That's when he lifted the cover off and the rest of the story unfolded. Not good!

His car is stock wired!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Old issue rearing it head Reply with quote

When it is figured out I would put fuses in those circuits . Also where are you located .
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Old issue rearing it head Reply with quote

I am actually glad it finally quit running completely, so I can fix this once and know it's right. And this is not a Robbie bashing thread, I just want my issue resolved once and for all.

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Old issue rearing it head Reply with quote

From a member on here:

Personally, I would design a fuel pump wire circuit that allows you to install a fuse or even resettable circuit breaker that would protect the expensive components. Fuse from hot source to relay and fuse from relay to electric pump. This way you are able to diagnose this concern depending where the fuse pops and you aint throwing parts at it when it does go afoul.

For now, I would completely eliminate the AFM door contacts from the fuel pump. See how this works. Totally reversible if done right.

Add something like this:
https://www.partsplaceinc.com/vw-mk1-rabbit-fuel-pump-relay-3044.html

I know the wiring around the DR so this will be a easy solution.

Kevin

Click to view image
Volks Wagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Old issue rearing it head Reply with quote

KKiley wrote:
Quote:

It's stock and was fine before he touched it. He wrecked my DR and left me hanging to go drink beer.

Check my other thread on this. There is a picture showing exactly where he compromised my system. I have been fighting this for almost a year now. It's the other guys on here that have helped me work thru this. Guys I respect. That is why I keep posting so I can enjoy my car.

Kevin

Oh, ok, sorry to hear it. I hope u get it fixed for good. Shocked

I'm definitely, probably, the worlds greatest lover.

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: