Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

transmission upper carriage bolt stuck
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WESTYJACK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: transmission upper carriage bolt stuck Reply with quote

I everyone
i try to drop engine and tranny couple inch to put my new fuel tank
the 2 upper carriage bolt are stuck
try with impac gun
try with heat
pb blaster
nothing work no mouvement at all
so i think to cut the head of the bolt but if i do that i cant drop because the end of the bolt is treaded in a nut weld to the cross member
anybody have a solution

help please
excuse my english i'm in quebec
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission upper carriage bolt stuck Reply with quote

there two blots with the heads facing the front of the bus. The welded capture nuts are on the back. There are also two upwards facing bolts that hold the rubber mounts. Make sure you are pulling the two where the heads are on the front side of the bus. You have to reach around the trans to get to them.

In this drawing below you are looking from the front side of the car. The welded capture nuts are at the back. If liquid wrench on the welded nuts and bolts won't free it up don't know what to say. They only thread into the capture nuts. The rest of the bolt is smooth.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission upper carriage bolt stuck Reply with quote

Keep soaking. May take a few days.

Good luck
Tcash
WESTYJACK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission upper carriage bolt stuck Reply with quote

is it possible the bolt are sized in the upper parts of the transmission(bushing)
i think to try spinning the bolt with my air hammer (zip gun)
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: transmission upper carriage bolt stuck Reply with quote

I know everyone goes on & on how acetone & automatic transmission fluid
don't stay blended, but I just applied droplets of 50/50 blend on an
aluminum coupler threaded into a steel crank thread PTO shaft after years
of saltwater immersion. With a heat gun & 200 ft/lbs of torque, it released with
no damage/breakage. The rust just broke up before my eyes, three applications
& heated it till it smoked. The ATF was Castrol for Honda autos, not Dexron VI.
Try it, you'll like it. Less than 5 cc's of the stuff applied & I was grinning.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: transmission upper carriage bolt stuck Reply with quote

There have been many studies that show the mixture you refer to doesn't work any better than a thin oil. The difference between a penetrating oil and the mixture you mention is phosphoric acid. That acid in things like Liquid Wrench changes the rust from red rust to black rust just like electrolysis or Osphos does, and it lubricates. The black rust molecules are smaller so when the red rust shrinks that is what loosens the object. Acetone and ATF only lubricate - they do not shrink the rust molecules. That is how the chemistry is regardless what you think you saw. The heat and oil and torque loosened your bolts. Glad it worked but you would not have needed so much torque and heat if you used Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission upper carriage bolt stuck Reply with quote

familiar with liquid wrench & pb blaster.
torn the drive dogs off aluminum couplers with those penetrants.
the acetone ATF finally produces decent results.
Anybody can try what they like as far as releasing threaded fasteners, but
Dexron & acetone do what those two others do not. Just my result, yours may
differ.
WESTYJACK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission upper carriage bolt stuck Reply with quote

Finaly the new tank is install
for the upper carriage bolt i have to zip cut the bolt in front and rear of the bus because the bolt was size in the bushing at the top of the transmission
thanks everyone for the help
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: transmission upper carriage bolt stuck Reply with quote

Paraffin is your friend!
https://m.youtube.com/results?search_query=Using+wax+to+free+rusted+bolts
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: transmission upper carriage bolt stuck Reply with quote

WESTYJACK wrote:
Finaly the new tank is install
for the upper carriage bolt i have to zip cut the bolt in front and rear of the bus because the bolt was size in the bushing at the top of the transmission
thanks everyone for the help

I have struggled mightily with rusty bolts, penetrant and heat, many times in the past. As I've gotten more comfortable with the angle grinder/drill I find myself heading right for the destructive methods more frequently rather than wasting so much of my time. Bolts are replaceable.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: transmission upper carriage bolt stuck Reply with quote

I would find these two particular transaxle hanger bolts very difficult to get to with a grinder or drill. I am curious as to how the OP managed to cut off the bolt heads. It seems that s/he also cut off the captive nuts that are part of the hanger assembly. While I see how this would be necessary in order to remove the now headless bolts, this will definitely complicate reassembly. I suppose that replacement captive nuts could be welded back in.

As for penetrating fluids, I swear by AeroKroil.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: transmission upper carriage bolt stuck Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
I would find these two particular transaxle hanger bolts very difficult to get to with a grinder or drill. I am curious as to how the OP managed to cut off the bolt heads. It seems that s/he also cut off the captive nuts that are part of the hanger assembly. While I see how this would be necessary in order to remove the now headless bolts, this will definitely complicate reassembly. I suppose that replacement captive nuts could be welded back in.

As for penetrating fluids, I swear by AeroKroil.

probably easier to buy a used hanger.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: