Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My project Doom Buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

It’s out

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And home

joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Congrats!!

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

I can't wait to see it in person!
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Well sort of a bad choice of paint. It faded really badly in the sun. Oh well gives me a reason to repaint it this winter. But I finally got the insurance and registration on it.
Took it for a bit of a drive tonight. Still wants to stall when hot. And developed a fairly good oil leak from the head by where the intake bolts on. Hoping it’s just the valve cover gasket

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Too bad! I liked the purple.

Does that engine have the vacuum retard on the advance pot? As in two vacuum lines going to the distributor. Maybe if it does it is sticking and not letting the advance come back to normal after decelleration.

Just guessing here...

Nice to hear you are driving it! We head for Edmonton today for a family rebellion on the wife's side. 3.5 hours one way and yes we are taking the Buggy.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

did u make a rear seat pad according to the cut outs in the body?.or did u just go with the standard straight across?.my taller daughter sits on the side with the cutouts(extra leg room),and I really want to do that to the other side like u did.congrats on getting to run it!!!..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Does that engine have the vacuum retard on the advance pot? As in two vacuum lines going to the distributor. Maybe if it does it is sticking and not letting the advance come back to normal after decelleration.

Just guessing here...

Nice to hear you are driving it! We head for Edmonton today for a family rebellion on the wife's side. 3.5 hours one way and yes we are taking the Buggy.

No just one vacuum line.
That’s a hell of a drive. Have fun
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:
did u make a rear seat pad according to the cut outs in the body?.or did u just go with the standard straight across?.my taller daughter sits on the side with the cutouts(extra leg room),and I really want to do that to the other side like u did.congrats on getting to run it!!!..

Not 100% sure what you mean. But let me explain my reasoning and what I did
I decided that cause I may carry a passenger or 2 in the rear. For more leg room bed use to relocate my battery to under the seat. There was no rear button seat when I acquired the buggy. So after my passenger decision I opted to make a custom rear seat bottom. Most rear seats I have seen the bottom goes right to the middle jump. By cutting it back to the depth of the “battery box” I was able to gain about 8-10” of room for the rear passengers to but their feet without bag to twist and turn them in an uncomfortable fashion.
Hopefully that answers your question
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

So not only do I have a stalling issue, I know have to rethink my wiring for the front lights. Since I used only one from leaf pack the tire have rubbed the wires for the front signal/park lights. Now either I go and reinstall a couple
Of modified spring packs or I try to reroute my wires at a 90* angle out of the housing. Maybe both as I am sitting on the front snubbers
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

yes it did answer my question.i am making my seat bottom the same way.only coming out to the battery box cut out.it does give my daughter plenty of rear leg room now.if u got a picture of rear seat pad and area post it up.Thanks...
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

cdnltded wrote:
So not only do I have a stalling issue, I know have to rethink my wiring for the front lights. Since I used only one from leaf pack the tire have rubbed the wires for the front signal/park lights. Now either I go and reinstall a couple
Of modified spring packs or I try to reroute my wires at a 90* angle out of the housing. Maybe both as I am sitting on the front snubbers

I softened the front of mine by removing all of the small leaves in both tubes and keeping the large leaves. Then on the very first hard stop the front tires tore the wires on my front signal lights and hit the fender edges. Added back one set of small leaves in one tube and used 90° connectors on the turn signals and haven't torn any more wires. 12 - 15 psi in the front tires plus a full tank of fuel make for a nice ride.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

62kellison wrote:
yes it did answer my question.i am making my seat bottom the same way.only coming out to the battery box cut out.it does give my daughter plenty of rear leg room now.if u got a picture of rear seat pad and area post it up.Thanks...

One from the rear looking forward. One from the front looking rearwards
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
cdnltded wrote:

I softened the front of mine by removing all of the small leaves in both tubes and keeping the large leaves. Then on the very first hard stop the front tires tore the wires on my front signal lights and hit the fender edges. Added back one set of small leaves in one tube and used 90° connectors on the turn signals and haven't torn any more wires. 12 - 15 psi in the front tires plus a full tank of fuel make for a nice ride.

I was thinking about those 90* connectors. Maybe some silicone to protect from moisture. 🤞🏻
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

cdnltded wrote:
oprn wrote:

Just guessing here...

No just one vacuum line.

Ok, now I am wondering about what your initial advance is and if your idle mixture screw is set right. Maybe a vacuum leak?

You mentioned it happens with a hot engine. Could it be too hot?

cdnltded wrote:
That’s a hell of a drive. Have fun

The trip went well apart from 2 things.
I didn't get the oil filler on properly after topping up the oil level so when we stopped she piddled on the drive way like any good German Shepard. Had to wipe off the fan housing and engine cage. Oops!

On the way home it rained for the first hour. This is not the ideal driving conditions as in the dark the glare of on coming headlights makes it very hard to see the road because of the water mist on the backside of the windshield. Need wipers on both sides it seems! Or give the wife a squeege...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

I do very much like your rear seat solution. Ours is very comfortable even for adults apart from room to put your feet.

Question: how did you address anchor points for your rear seat belts?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
cdnltded wrote:

I just finished replacing the rusted out stock front beam with an adjustable one. With the ride height reduced the front rides harsher and feels now like the front tires actually get air time on large heaves at highway speed. It did not do that before.

Initially I was going to remove one set of leaves too but thought I would try the adjustable beam first. The next think I will try is to loosen off the adjustment on one spring pack, set the ride height I want on the other and then tighten the first one at that height. I am hoping it will give me a progressive spring action.

No issues with signal light wiring or rubbing the fenders yet...

62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

awesome,thanks.plenty of room!!...I need to do that on the other side as well.(cut out a duplicate hole)...
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I do very much like your rear seat solution. Ours is very comfortable even for adults apart from room to put your feet.

Question: how did you address anchor points for your rear seat belts?

There is a frame under the rear seat made from 1 1/2” angle. Which is attached to the rear shock mounts and the rear frame horns. If you look back in this thread there is pictures.
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

Ok, now I am wondering about what your initial advance is and if your idle mixture screw is set right. Maybe a vacuum leak?

I have never set the time with a timing light. When I originally got the engine running I set it the test light way. It ran so I went with it.
I have had V8s that were really badly out of time and this doesn’t act like that. It will keep running if I keep my foot in the throttle a wee bit. Like the idle is to low. But the issue there is my idle screw is almost all the way in already.
If it does die to restart all it takes is foot all the way into the throttle and hit the key. Fires back up.
I am leaning towards fuel. Maybe the wrong jetting. I am one day gonna get into the carb and check it out
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: My project Doom Buggy Reply with quote

cdnltded wrote:
Got my front “sway bar” made and installed. Still need to finish putting the front end back together. One full leaf pack in the lower tube and the bar in the upper. Hopefully the end result works out like the idea in my head. I will post pictures when it’s back on the ground.

Well let this be a lesson to all future builders.
The idea was great. It work for the short time I drove it. But it took to much out of the front end. The front tire rubbed on the front light wiring. I removed the sway bar thing and replace with modified spring packs. I removed the small springs from both packs so now in both tubes I am running only 4 wide springs. Hopefully it gives the ride I am looking for. The height I think is a bit higher then I wanted. But i will live with it as I do not plan on installing adjusters
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Jump to:
Page 13 of 14

Jump to: