Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Euro or US?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mnwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Euro or US? Reply with quote

I had thought for sure my 1971 Ghia is European spec because it has Euro bumpers. Yeah, I know those are easily changed with just a few bolts. The seatbelts don't match the owners manual, again just a few bolts. It also doesn't have the coat hooks that are on page 17 of the owners manual. What makes me wonder now are the front turn signals. The one on the left has a socket for the side marker and two tabs for parking light and turn signal. The one the right doesn't have the side marker and only one tab for the turn signal.

Is there a way, without ordering the birth certificate, that I can determine if my Ghia was meant for the European or US market?

1971 Karmann Ghia
1972 Westfalia

St. Charles, MN
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro or US? Reply with quote

It's common to replace turn signals when the original ones get smashed by going to the junkyard and using what's there or previous owners wanted a different look. Most people removed seatbelts back then as they thought they were dangerous (we know better now) so replacements were added at a later date and as you will find out parts are very scarce for these cars. Don't worry about it.
mnwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro or US? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
It's common to replace turn signals when the original ones get smashed by going to the junkyard and using what's there or previous owners wanted a different look. Most people removed seatbelts back then as they thought they were dangerous (we know better now) so replacements were added at a later date and as you will find out parts are very scarce for these cars. Don't worry about it.

Actually, I am kind of worried about it. I want to get it back to as close to stock as I can. I have Euro bumpers on it now and if it is Euro spec I will keep on trying to find affordable replacements fir the sections that aren't so good and replace the left parking/turn signal. If it is US spec I will replace the bumpers with more readily obtainable US spec ones and replace the right turn signal and put the rear reflectors back on. Like I said, I'm trying to get it back to as close to stock as I can.

1971 Karmann Ghia
1972 Westfalia

St. Charles, MN
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Euro or US? Reply with quote

Most of the Ghia production in 1971 went to the US. Its more likely that your car is US spec than Euro.

The best way to tell would be the rear reflectors. Euro cars did not have the wrap around reflectors. It sounds like your car has no reflectors so you will need to look inside the fenders to see where the holes are. Here is what the Euro spec reflectors looked like:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/lit/8_70ghia_german/10.jpg
mnwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro or US? Reply with quote

I will look for the holes tomorrow. However, just going by the front turn signals, if the right side had been crunched sometime in the past the turn signal would have been replaced with a US spec one with tabs for turn signals/parking lights and side markers because they were available here. The right side has only one tab for the turn signal and nothing for the side marker.

So, the left is US and the right is Euro?

1971 Karmann Ghia
1972 Westfalia

St. Charles, MN
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro or US? Reply with quote

Does it have a KM speedo? Didn't Euro cars in 71 still Swing axle?
I think Euro would be a 1300 motor? Tons of ways to tell id imagine.
No pics? making it hard huh? Wink
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
mnwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro or US? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Does it have a KM speedo? Didn't Euro cars in 71 still Swing axle?
I think Euro would be a 1300 motor? Tons of ways to tell id imagine.
No pics? making it hard huh? Wink

Here's one, but pretty generic.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1971 Karmann Ghia
1972 Westfalia

St. Charles, MN
mnwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro or US? Reply with quote

This is the front left turn signal/parking ling for an 1157 bulb.

This is the front right turn signal for an 1156 bulb.

Tome, if either one had been replaced it would be the left one. That one is much easier to get here.

1971 Karmann Ghia
1972 Westfalia

St. Charles, MN
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro or US? Reply with quote

Are your bumpers real Euros or were the over riders removed? Look at the Euro manuals in the Technical Tab to compare. Look at the big stuff that is harder to swap out. Euro cars had coat hooks too. Smile
Thanks for the pics, Is that original paint, looks shiny.
mnwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro or US? Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Are your bumpers real Euros or were the over riders removed? Look at the Euro manuals in the Technical Tab to compare. Look at the big stuff that is harder to swap out. Euro cars had coat hooks too. Smile
Thanks for the pics, Is that original paint, looks shiny.

The outer sections of the bumpers do not have holes in them which would indicate US bumpers with the over riders changed.

Mine does not have coat hangers.

The paint is not original, it was orange. I have no idea what color it is, but there is a 1967 color that comes close.

1971 Karmann Ghia
1972 Westfalia

St. Charles, MN
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Euro or US? Reply with quote

Yes Manila Yellow, Its a nice color.
I bet there are factory drilled holes for the hooks under the headliner. You can find them with a sewing needle or pin.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: