Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

turning a 74 super into a 73
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: turning a 74 super into a 73 Reply with quote

I have the opportunity to purchase a 74 super. Looks like a good deal for the east coast. Question is, Can i change the bumpers and mounts to the 73 style? Also possibly the front suspension to 73 style too?
72 Super
60 Mango Ragtop Camper Bug Project Thread
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
2056 Type 4 Engine Build Thread
Filthy Buggers
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: turning a 74 super into a 73 Reply with quote

To my knowledge the bumper mount bracket area on the wheel housings are different along with the cutouts through the fenders.

The 74 has the updated suspension because of problems with the 73 but it is a direct swap.
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: turning a 74 super into a 73 Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
To my knowledge the bumper mount bracket area on the wheel housings are different along with the cutouts through the fenders.

The 74 has the updated suspension because of problems with the 73 but it is a direct swap.

What if I used 73 style bumper brackets?
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
Fiddlestyx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: turning a 74 super into a 73 Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:

What problems does the 73 have?
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: turning a 74 super into a 73 Reply with quote

Vw was always improving their cars so I’m sure they improved it somehow.
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: turning a 74 super into a 73 Reply with quote

sshulk wrote:
Vw was always improving their cars so I’m sure they improved it somehow.

Improvements did not always happen. Power went down, over heating was a concern, mileage suffered on later models as ill concieved smog control devices where added. 74 should not be too bad, but round about 75 or 76 so things really got bad. I believe the most powerful Bug motor was circa 71 or so. Bug wieght also increased as power went down. smog laws caused the power to reduce after 71 or so. If you need smog testing, some of the later cars have hard to obtain smog parts. egrs, thermal reactors, exhaust filters, catalysts, special exhaust and heater systems, etc

but 74 is not too bad.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: turning a 74 super into a 73 Reply with quote

The opinion is held that the 73 system is so bad that vw did a mid year change to make it better. Others say it it okay. I think the 74 has a lesser scrub radius so drag on one of the front wheels at a time doesn't make the car tend to pull into a puddle or whatever. I don't personally think it helps against the 'super shimmy' but I could be wrong. 73's are narrower so bigger wheels in the front is easier and 74's push the weight of the car under the inside of the wheel more.

I'm pretty sure that 74 wheel housings have the the same bolt pattern but the housing is formed so the bumper shock is wrapped by it. If you can weld and so some metal fabrication it should not be a big problem.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: turning a 74 super into a 73 Reply with quote

I don't know if the bumper mounts on the chassis are the same, but the mounts themselves are way different, so the holes thru the fenders are way different too.
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: turning a 74 super into a 73 Reply with quote

Not sure if something like this might fit, or be modifiable to fit the 73 bumpers;

https://www.justkampers.com/111-807-115-bumper-iron-vw-beetle-1302-1303-1974-1979.html
https://www.justkampers.com/135-807-197-bumper-iron-to-body-seal-vw-beetle-1974-1979.html
sshulk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: turning a 74 super into a 73 Reply with quote

As long as the holes in the body line up that’s perfect. I’m going to get carbon fiber bumpers so I can source some brackets
72 Super
63 Ragtop Project
73 Auto Westfalia
Filthy Buggers
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: turning a 74 super into a 73 Reply with quote

sshulk wrote:
theKbStockpiler wrote:

What if I used 73 style bumper brackets?

You can use the 68-73 bumpers if you use these brackets https://www.mamotorworks.com/VW/product/bumper-bracket-front-lh-or-rh-for-302-894_313373 I'm sure you can find them from another source. Mid-America tends to be...iffy

Rear I'm not certain of.

H2OSB
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: turning a 74 super into a 73 Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
The opinion is held that the 73 system is so bad that vw did a mid year change to make it better. Others say it it okay. I think the 74 has a lesser scrub radius so drag on one of the front wheels at a time doesn't make the car tend to pull into a puddle or whatever. I don't personally think it helps against the 'super shimmy' but I could be wrong. 73's are narrower so bigger wheels in the front is easier and 74's push the weight of the car under the inside of the wheel more.

I'm pretty sure that 74 wheel housings have the the same bolt pattern but the housing is formed so the bumper shock is wrapped by it. If you can weld and so some metal fabrication it should not be a big problem.

Actually, the early suspension cars handle excellently (as do all Super Beetles)...when all the rubber is new. VW did indeed redesign the suspension with the hope of eliminating the eventual shimmy. The scrub radius wasn't the cause, however.

H2OSB
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: turning a 74 super into a 73 Reply with quote

Quote:
You can use the 68-73 bumpers

The wheel housings are different where the brackets attach. The replacement panels and patches stop at 1973.

Quote:
Actually, the early suspension cars handle excellently

It looks like VW was just changing parts like people do when they can't find anything worn or out of balance.

The two bolt years are wider in the front which changes handling.
Supers start to vibrate when the suspension is not under compression or rebound so it's not like energy is being transformed from static to dynamic because of the suspension.
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: turning a 74 super into a 73 Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:

Quote:
Actually, the early suspension cars handle excellently

It looks like VW was just changing parts like people do when they can't find anything worn or out of balance.

VW engineers did a design study after the issue kept cropping up. It was discovered the design of the McPherson struts NEEDS weight over the axle to work properly. When there is little weight over the axle, the struts cause micro-oscillations which gradually wear the rubber bushings over time. It's not any one part of the design (well, aside from the struts themselves). If one worn part of the suspension is replaced, the oscillations move down to the next weakest link in the chain, and the issue continues. VW tried increasing the negative scrub radius with the two bolt design, in the hopes the issue would be remedied. When that didn't work, they tried adding rack&pinion steering. I've actually seen the TSB where VW corporate instructed service depts to simply replace every rubber part in the front suspension if a customer comes in complaining of shimmies.

H2OSB
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: turning a 74 super into a 73 Reply with quote

sshulk wrote:
I have the opportunity to purchase a 74 super. Looks like a good deal for the east coast. Question is, Can i change the bumpers and mounts to the 73 style? Also possibly the front suspension to 73 style too?

Short answer is yes. I did it on all four corners.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: