Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

karmann ghia limited steering left and right
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oneluckyduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:41 am    Post subject: karmann ghia limited steering left and right Reply with quote

I installed new tie rod ends and a new steering box, but I can't turn left and right very tight. The wheels are both aligned straight ahead but don't deflect much off center. I installed the the bo with the steering arm "centered" so that there was equal motion to the right or left. What did I do wrong??
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: karmann ghia limited steering left and right Reply with quote

Did you put the bracket for the steering box on in the correct direction?
One way is for the beetle and gives a steeper angle to the steering column, the other way is for the Ghia. I remember when I got my first Ghia about 6 years ago, the bracket was on the wrong way from the PO, and the steering was super tight because it put a bend in the column angle and stressed the rubber donut coupler.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oneluckyduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: karmann ghia limited steering left and right Reply with quote

Is the part that you are referring to, the part that the bolts screw into? If that's the case, I can take it off and turn it around and try it that way. In my small mindy, I can't see how that would effect the geometry of the steering. But I'll out now and try it. Thanks.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: karmann ghia limited steering left and right Reply with quote

This. # 14 notch is for ghia. It changes the steering box angle.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
oneluckyduck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: karmann ghia limited steering left and right Reply with quote

Thanks, that worked. The "14" goes on the driver's side...I think, anyway that worked. Thanks again.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: