Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil leak below #1 cyl
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Oil leak below #1 cyl Reply with quote

Showed my daughter how to drive a stick yesterday around the block a few times adding 4 miles to the bus out of the 8 total miles driven since we got it going. Anyway, i smelled oil burning. When I parked it a little smoke was coming out. I figured and hoped it was just dirty oily heat exchangers. I pulled the lower tins and here is a picture of the wet areas. I did clean that tin when I changed the lifter in #2 cyl... 4 miles ago. The wet area is above the pushrod tubes below #1 cyl. The only place I can think of a leak is the base gasket? The pushrod tubes could use some seals, which I have but need to install.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I do know it all needs a good cleaning and the old crap on the tins and heat exchangers from pushrod tube seals needs attention. I'm just curious where this fresh looking oil is coming from.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak below #1 cyl Reply with quote

Clean and watch, clean and watch. The leak could be between the cylinder and the head, not something you can fix without partially disassembling the engine.

You can get dyes that will show up in black light.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: