Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Unknown electrical box under passenger seat
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpeedyUk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Unknown electrical box under passenger seat Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Can someone let me know what this aluminium looking electrical box is under the rear seat and what it does please.

I think it make be a relay or contactor as it chatters now and again?

Any info will be appreciated, along with any thoughts as to whether it should chatter or stay quiet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks guys - Best Regards[/img]
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown electrical box under passenger seat Reply with quote

That's a 12-volt voltage regulator.

There are modern 12-volt Bosch solid state voltage regulators available for VWs with generators (dynamo to you); I have one on my 1970 VW.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
SpeedyUk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Unknown electrical box under passenger seat Reply with quote

Thank you for the post.

I would imagine thats solid state with no moveable parts just diodes or electronic bits n bobs lol

I have a chattering sound from that area - may not be that an a relay?
GArBa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown electrical box under passenger seat Reply with quote

the regulator you have is not the solid state type.
Nevertheless, it does have a lot of "electronic bits n bobs" inside which do move, some of them are even relays. Laughing

seriously, look up "voltage regulator" in thesamba search and you'll find literally hundreds of pages.
'22 type C1 T-Cross
'23 type AC3 Hyundai I10 (VW no longer makes small cars!)
-------------------------
moped:
'82 Benelli Magnum 3v
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown electrical box under passenger seat Reply with quote

An 'old' VR (non-solid state) has many little moving parts.

Think of them sort of like the points in your distributor. They connect and disconnect to 'regulate' the voltage to the battery and systems. They can get quite noisy as they age. If you can truly narrow the chattering down to that VR, it may be on its way out.

Consider the solid state Bosch VR if you require a replacement.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QXWYU3C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A few pictures of the underside of that VR that you have currently:

Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown electrical box under passenger seat Reply with quote

I haven’t experienced a chattering voltage regulator. There might be a relay for the rear window defrost element just on the other side of that heat tube though.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown electrical box under passenger seat Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
There might be a relay for the rear window defrost element just on the other side of that heat tube though.

I have no idea if UK VWs even had rear window defroster....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown electrical box under passenger seat Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
There might be a relay for the rear window defrost element just on the other side of that heat tube though.

I have no idea if UK VWs even had rear window defroster....

The group of wires passing under the heater tube looks reminiscent of the defrost “harness”, but I missed the UK part.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown electrical box under passenger seat Reply with quote

In my own experience - 1 VW that had the rear window defroster, my 1970 but in Phoenix AZ - it didn't work so well. I think I checked continuity of the rear grid in its "resurrection" but there was no resistance between the terminals, so I just left it alone.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown electrical box under passenger seat Reply with quote

GArBa wrote:
the regulator you have is not the solid state type.
Nevertheless, it does have a lot of "electronic bits n bobs" inside which do move, some of them are even relays. Laughing .

Yeah, it's not Solid State.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SpeedyUk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown electrical box under passenger seat Reply with quote

Thanks for all in depth replies.

I have just purchased a EMPI alternator and hoping this will have a built in voltage regulator.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/9451.html

If this is the case hopefully the older one will be redundant and I can just leave it in place as a backup?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Unknown electrical box under passenger seat Reply with quote

SpeedyUk wrote:
I have just purchased a EMPI alternator and hoping this will have a built in voltage regulator.

https://www.jbugs.com/product/9451.html

If you get the alternator pictured in that link it is the internally regulated type. You will need to do a little re-wring under the rear seat and bypass the generator VR.

SpeedyUk wrote:
If this is the case hopefully the older one will be redundant and I can just leave it in place as a backup?

Actually no. The generator VR is not compatible with any model VW alternator. You will need to disconnect all wires from the old VR and splice a few of them together. This pic from Speedy Jim’s site may help illustrate how to wire your internally regulated alternator. The old generator VR is pictured at the bottom left. The fuse numbering only applies if your have a 12-fuse fusebox. You didn’t mention the model year of your Beetle so the fuses may not apply.

Maybe the most important thing about installing the wiring for an alternator is you need to create a solid junction for the three heavy gauge wires under the rear seat. One red wire comes from the battery positive terminal. One comes from the alternator B+ terminal. The last runs from the junction to the front of the car where it powers pretty much everything. This junction of three wires needs to be SOLID (GOOD). It will carry a large current load. If you can find the large white rectangular junction that came from the factory with the later model Beetles that came with alternators you can just plug the three wires into the junction. Otherwise you will need to come up with some other way.
One option is to find your neighborhood car audio store and buy a power distribution point. These connect heavy gauge wires (8AWG or larger) together. You can use them as a junction. They look like this:

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: