Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64 VW Beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cwbandin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: 64 VW Beetle Reply with quote

Just acquired a 64 VW that was painted yellow but I have found remnants of original color. Is it Java Green or Sea Blue? How would you know if you have a super beetle? I am very new owner and I am trying to get it back to original.

Thanks for any assistance
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 VW Beetle Reply with quote

Seats did not get factory body paint on them, when you see that, someone other than the factory sprayed it. I'd be looking in the pillar area under the front hood for original paint.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cwbandin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 64 VW Beetle Reply with quote

Thank you so much. I found the same color under hood, in trunk, and under front of car. Do you think it is original or another paint color under the yellow? I haven’t found any other color. I am just an amateur but have always loved these cars.
A-Step-Towards
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: 64 VW Beetle Reply with quote

Super Beetles didnt come out tell 1971, pretty easy to spot as well, they have struts, a wider hood and the spare tire rests flat not upright. As for the color if you really want to know find a area you can sand down maybe, take a rear door panel off and look inside there.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: 64 VW Beetle Reply with quote

It’s java green.

*edit - I will say that the part behind the quarter panel appears to be Java Green, but after another look and some coffee, the clamp for the jack does look more Sea Blue. You may have to do some more detective work to see if some parts have been swapped. Depending on how far you plan to go with this, you may want to remove more of the undercoating in the trunk to see what you have going on. As there wasn’t undercoating from the factory in this area there may be some subpar repairs lurking under the undercoating.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine

Last edited by Sharp64 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:27 am; edited 3 times in total
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: 64 VW Beetle Reply with quote

java green is the color. Photos suggest it is the original color.

supers have coil over front strut suspension.

Let us see more of your Bug please.

Good Luck, Bug On.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
cwbandin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 64 VW Beetle Reply with quote

Thank you all!! I have tried to apply for a birth certificate but the museum has a note that currently they have technical difficulties. I will do all your suggestions and also upload more pics. I do know my car was built in late 63 and rolled out as a 64. It was turned into a custom VW by a previous owner which is why it is now yellow and has no backseat. Also the owner completely redid the upholstery and side panels so I couldn't use that to help me either on original color.

Any good places to find an original backseat? Also my dash is black, is that typical or was it painted?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 64 VW Beetle Reply with quote

I’ll say this as nicely as possible but you REALLY need to do some reading and research before you tackle a restoration of a car that you obviously have very little knowledge about. Posting up some pictures of the car will also help with some pointers. I’ve seen a lot of “custom” cars that aren’t good candidates for restoration. Just based on your pictures I’m seeing some holes that don’t belong, and undercoating all over that is super fun to remove. Depending on what has been done and your mechanical ability you may want to find another vehicle.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
cwbandin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: 64 VW Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice, I absolutely appreciate it. I won't be doing the mechanical work on the vehicle. My dad owned lots of VW's and he has given me all his books, internet has been great, and I am just trying to get the original color of the car. We were very much into original. I have only had it for a week and a half so just trying to ask more knowledgeable people. I appreciate that I have had any replys, thanks again.
cwbandin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 64 VW Beetle Reply with quote

bluebus86 here are some more photos of my bug Very Happy

Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: 64 VW Beetle Reply with quote

Are there adapters or is that sitting on an IRS chassis?

Understand that I’m not trying to insult you, but when you ask whether a 64 is a Superbeetle shows a pretty deep lack of knowledge. I would also strongly encourage you to learn how to do the “mechanicals” on your own. ACVW specialty shops are expensive and you don’t want someone not familiar with them restoring your car as the current mentality of most shops is to replace with cheap junk rather than refurbish the OE parts.

If you have the John Muir book “How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive”, read it. If you don’t have it, get it and read it. While not the most comprehensive manual for VW repairs it is a simply written manual that assumes you know nothing about them or mechanics in general.

Also, from the last pic above you have some rust lurking in that door jamb. Not good.
cwbandin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 64 VW Beetle Reply with quote

Thank you...and I was not insulted at all, I know I have a deep lack of knowledge. In a short week, I have found out some information about this car, thanks to this site, jbugs, and wolfsburg west. I am just beginning and I do have that book. Someone mentioned they thought it might be a Super Beetle obviously their lack of knowledge was the same as mine...haha. The car does have some rust and has been sitting for at least four years. I am on summer break so just trying to find out as much as possible before I go back to teaching high school in five weeks, then it will be one weekend at a time.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: