Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Thoughts on Oil Pan Sight Glass - Subaru Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Thoughts on Oil Pan Sight Glass - Subaru Vanagon Reply with quote

I have a Subaru 2.5 and it is pretty hard to get an accurate reading of the oil level. I had an outfront motorsports shortened pan on my first conversion and I have a Burley pan/mount on this one. Both are difficult to figure out the oil level.

You remove the stick and oil is kind of all over it. Depending which splash of oil you are looking at, it could be at the low or the high mark . If you pull it out and wipe it off and try again, it is even harder to tell. I only try getting a reading after it has been sitting, figuring that would be the most reliable method.

So I wonder if an oil sight glass wouldn't be an easy solution. Just drill a hole in the side of the pan at the fill line and install a sight glass.

Any thoughts or experience with this?
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Oil Pan Sight Glass - Subaru Vanagon Reply with quote

Yes! I posted about this a couple years ago and no one else seemed to have the same issue. I have the SC shortened pan and the reading is all over the place. One side of the dipstick reads higher than the other and repeating the procedure seems to lower the level on the stick, sometimes. Confused
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Oil Pan Sight Glass - Subaru Vanagon Reply with quote

Interesting idea!

Since my shortened oil pan has the drain in the back, I wonder if as a test one can do a clear tube out it it going up and see how high the level is.... Would have to go high enough and would have to have atmosphere open top...hmmm got me thinking!

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Oil Pan Sight Glass - Subaru Vanagon Reply with quote

Just a couple thoughts. I wonder how difficult it would be to gauge how much oil to add. Also, the side of the pan is the worst place to take an oil level reading. Even slightly out of level this way or that could show the difference between low and overful.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Oil Pan Sight Glass - Subaru Vanagon Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
Just a couple thoughts. I wonder how difficult it would be to gauge how much oil to add. Also, the side of the pan is the worst place to take an oil level reading. Even slightly out of level this way or that could show the difference between low and overful.

Good point. I only check my oil after the van has been sitting and on a level parking spot.

Another good point, a sight glass might not be easy to install in a shortened oil pan. I didn't think about that but I have the Burley pan/mount that is square and made out of fairly thick steel, so drilling a hole and tapping in one or even two sight glass fittings would be easy. Small Cars pan might be easy too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wonder where I woudl want to put the sight glass. Maybe centered right on the full mark, or maybe centered on the 1 quart low.

vanis13 wrote:
Interesting idea!

Since my shortened oil pan has the drain in the back, I wonder if as a test one can do a clear tube out it it going up and see how high the level is.... Would have to go high enough and would have to have atmosphere open top...hmmm got me thinking!

I like this idea if only to be able to find where the full line is without removing the pan. A temporary plastic tube through the drain hole up the side of the pan would work for that. 5 1/2 quarts would tell me the full line, 4 1/2 quarts woudl tell me the low line. I think I can drill it from the outside without removing the tank, just have to be careful to flush any metal shavings that might get inside. A brake bleeder fitting in the drain hole might have some possibilities. Add a plastic tube when you want to check the level?
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Oil Pan Sight Glass - Subaru Vanagon Reply with quote

I've got the Outfront shortened pan on our Bay conversion and agree... I've resorted to scuffing up the dipstick to see if that helps.

I just did a quick search to see if there was some kind of an oblong sight window that could be welded in, but not such luck, just external 'tower' or 'thermometer' looking attachments - a little too vulnerable down there for my liking. A quick connect or quick release would be pretty slick though!

Oh, and the sight window on the Subarugears transmission does work well.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Oil Pan Sight Glass - Subaru Vanagon Reply with quote

Ride_On wrote:
I just did a quick search to see if there was some kind of an oblong sight window that could be welded in, but not such luck, just external 'tower' or 'thermometer' looking attachments - a little too vulnerable down there for my liking. A quick connect or quick release would be pretty slick though!

You could make a quick connect with a bleeder that fits the drain hole (or drill and tap your drain plug). Mark the oil pan where full is. Put a clear tube on the bleeder, open it and watch the oil go up into the tube and compare it to the full mark on your pan. A sight glass would be easy to add to my pan.

reinheitsgebot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Oil Pan Sight Glass - Subaru Vanagon Reply with quote

FWIW, I had the same experience. One side read full and the other showed nothing. I believe the problem was how I was pulling the dipstick by reaching into the license plate door causing it to bend. I finally stopped being lazy and pulled the stick straight out of the hatch. After taking the bend out I found I was getting no reading at all. A couple of quarts brought the level to where it read full from both sides.
16" mercedes wheels with T3 hardware
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Oil Pan Sight Glass - Subaru Vanagon Reply with quote

I get 10 different readings depending on how I do it. But the Burley pan is not a modfied stock pan. The dipstick comes straight out the license plate hole but bends as it goes down into the pan. And when it is sitting in the oil it is at a pretty extreme angle. SC came up with a different type of dipstick, maybe there is a simple fix for this? File down the dipstick so it can't touch the sides of the tube in the reading area? Maybe a different kind of dipstick that is porous or something. A small sensor on the dipstick that tells if it is submerged in oil at a particular point. The eye glass seems like a simple fix if nothing else.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Oil Pan Sight Glass - Subaru Vanagon Reply with quote

On my SC pan the dipstick is almost vertical and goes through a very subtle bend in the tube. I remove it from the engine hatch not the license plate door. So I don't think its getting swiped off in my case. I've considered sand blasting my dipstick because it all most acts like its coated in something that oil sheets off of. Any sight glass style would be hard to read for me because it would always be covered in road schmeg. And possibly behind the small car engine mount.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Oil Pan Sight Glass - Subaru Vanagon Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
On my SC pan the dipstick is almost vertical and goes through a very subtle bend in the tube. I remove it from the engine hatch not the license plate door. So I don't think its getting swiped off in my case. I've considered sand blasting my dipstick because it all most acts like its coated in something that oil sheets off of. Any sight glass style would be hard to read for me because it would always be covered in road schmeg. And possibly behind the small car engine mount.
Yah, you're right the sight glass would be hard to fit on the smallcar pan with their mounts.

I saw a couple posts in some other forums that said roughing up the dipstick holds the oil better and helps get a better reading. Maybe all I need is something like the SC diptube..
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Oil Pan Sight Glass - Subaru Vanagon Reply with quote

Somewhat on topic - I know Vanagon engines are sensitive to overfilling oil, my understanding is that ej22/25 are not. So is everyone taking max capacity and setting it as their full mark?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Oil Pan Sight Glass - Subaru Vanagon Reply with quote

FWIW I have the same trouble reading my wife's Subaru's dipstick - the oil does the same weird V-shaped thing on the stick as does the 2000 EJ25 in my van.

I'm going to try sanding some texture on the relevant portion of the dipstick.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Oil Pan Sight Glass - Subaru Vanagon Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
Somewhat on topic - I know Vanagon engines are sensitive to overfilling oil, my understanding is that ej22/25 are not. So is everyone taking max capacity and setting it as their full mark?

If you fill the sump to the top, the crank will be pounding away at the oil.

You need to fill with the correct amount of oil for your engine and memorize where it ends up on the stick. Or make a mark.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: