Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear package shelf question
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Rear package shelf question Reply with quote

I recently sourced a fiberglass rear package shelf base, and plan to wrap it in the same vinyl as the seats are covered with. The unwrapped fiberglass base slips in and fits really well with the rear window and seal in place.

I have two questions...

Once its wrapped, should the fiberglass base be secured to the car's sheet metal shelf with adhesive..or Can I rely on the two grille screws and the two seatback hook screws to keep it in place?

Can the wrapped base be installed without removing the rear window and seal?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear package shelf question Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
I recently sourced a fiberglass rear package shelf base, and plan to wrap it in the same vinyl as the seats are covered with. The unwrapped fiberglass base slips in and fits really well with the rear window and seal in place.

I have two questions...

Once its wrapped, should the fiberglass base be secured to the car's sheet metal shelf with adhesive..or Can I rely on the two grille screws and the two seatback hook screws to keep it in place?

I covered (upholstered?) the same shelf base you now have in two layers - a 3mm foam sheet that acts as a sound deadener and then the vinyl matching the seats' upholstery.

I didn't need to glue the shelf down. It fits very snugly and is held firmly in place by the windscreen rubbers and ventgrille screws at the back and by the seatback hook screws in front. If in doubt, you could use 3M automotive double-sided tape.

I didn't have to take the windscreen out to fit the shelf.
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Rear package shelf question Reply with quote

kiwighia68 wrote:
FL-Frank wrote:

I have two questions...

I covered (upholstered?) the same shelf base you now have in two layers - a 3mm foam sheet that acts as a sound deadener and then the vinyl matching the seats' upholstery.

I didn't need to glue the shelf down. It fits very snugly and is held firmly in place by the windscreen rubbers and ventgrille screws at the back and by the seatback hook screws in front. If in doubt, you could use 3M automotive double-sided tape.

I didn't have to take the windscreen out to fit the shelf.

Thank you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rear package shelf question Reply with quote

Is there any one making those fiber glass shelf bases?

Any pics on how it looks?
--------------------------
FL-Frank
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rear package shelf question Reply with quote

nize wrote:

Got mine from Jerry @ http://www.karmannghia.com.au/

I havent wrapped it in vinyl yet, but if fits very nicely out of the box.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear package shelf question Reply with quote

You could get a piece of ABS from someplace like Home Depot and cut it to fit.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
kiwighia68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear package shelf question Reply with quote

FL-Frank wrote:
nize wrote:

Got mine from Jerry @ http://www.karmannghia.com.au/

I havent wrapped it in vinyl yet, but if fits very nicely out of the box.

I forgot to mention that the foam I used had a heatshield built in.
56cpe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear package shelf question Reply with quote

Somebody by the name of Jim asked for details of shipping our Rear parcel shelf mat to the US
I've tried to reply but my email just bounces back and I have no address to send to

Regards Jerry
KG Co Australia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Rear package shelf question Reply with quote

56cpe wrote:
Somebody by the name of Jim asked for details of shipping our Rear parcel shelf mat to the US
I've tried to reply but my email just bounces back and I have no address to send to

Regards Jerry
KG Co Australia

You have a PM Jerry. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimwar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: 56cpe Reply with quote

Jerry, I was the one who sent the message and just sent you a pm.
dont_panic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear package shelf question Reply with quote

I have a '69 hardtop. I replaced the headliner (white) over 25 years ago. I don't remember replacing the parcel shelf covering, but it looks like black perforated headliner material.

So my question is, what color is the parcel shelf supposed to be - black to match the seats, or white to match the headliner? What is the correct material? Plastic? Fiberglass? How do you remove the chrome trim on the front edge?

Thanks,

Hans
2012 Audi A3 SportBack (daily driver)
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear package shelf question Reply with quote

dont_panic wrote:
I have a '69 hardtop. I replaced the headliner (white) over 25 years ago. I don't remember replacing the parcel shelf covering, but it looks like black perforated headliner material.

So my question is, what color is the parcel shelf supposed to be - black to match the seats, or white to match the headliner? What is the correct material? Plastic? Fiberglass? How do you remove the chrome trim on the front edge?

Thanks,

Hans

As I recall the Alum. trim piece is crimped/pinched into place (on each end). Matching the seat color would probably make more sense. Originally it was just vinyl covered thin board.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
kgj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Rear package shelf question Reply with quote

For reference for the wider audience who may stumble on this thread here is a picture on my one from Jerry. Bought a couple of years ago. Took it out of the wrapper this morning to see how well it fits.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And here it is resting in place. A perfect fit it would seem.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Colour is light green to match door cards and seat upholstery.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Rear package shelf question Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
dont_panic wrote:

Thanks,

Hans

As I recall the Alum. trim piece is crimped/pinched into place (on each end). Matching the seat color would probably make more sense. Originally it was just vinyl covered thin board.

Regarding the color, keep in mind that anything other than black will cast a distracting and potentialy dangerous reflection on the back window.

You wouldn't want to bend up that pretty but functionally rather delicate chrome rear bumper by backing into something that you couldn't see because of a reflection on the rear window. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: