Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Larger mirrors
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

By any chance does anyone got a source on these mirror that isn't $100/piece? I've got an e-mail out to vwantigo but they don't list them on their site any more as mentioned. Also, if someone has a used pair around they don't want, I don't need new.

Thanks!
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Hmm, neat.

I was really hoping that the mirrors would change the airflow enough to quiet a whistle I've had on that side but can't figure out. I was hoping maybe it was the old mirror responsible, but no such luck. Oh well.

it'll probably end up being an issue with the door/window seal somewhere that just allows a touch of air to make that noise...
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

airkooledchris wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:
Hmm, neat.

I was really hoping that the mirrors would change the airflow enough to quiet a whistle I've had on that side but can't figure out. I was hoping maybe it was the old mirror responsible, but no such luck. Oh well.

it'll probably end up being an issue with the door/window seal somewhere that just allows a touch of air to make that noise...

Not that it is impossible, but the whistle was exactly the same before and after new front door seals. I suspect the vent window but am not sure.

But actually, now that I'm writing this out and thinking about it, I think the noise may have been lessened when I rotated my sliding door seal into the correct position and then adjusted the upper roller to pull it in a little more. At least i haven't noticed it the last time or two driving the Bus. Hopefully I didn't curse myself!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

Do you have new vapor barriers?

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

Boesen wrote:
So back in December I bought one Brazilian VW Bay side mirror from CIP1. Could only afford one at the time as they are expensive from them and other US vendors. After receiving it I liked it (what a difference in rearview)and mounted it (I'll install the bolt cover with black RTV in the next few days). I then decided due to price I'd try to find an actual Brazilian Vendor willing to ship me the other side if it was cheaper. Well it sure was. Alot cheaper!! Same VW Brazil Boxed mirror. A pair shipped was $110.20 If I'd only have done this from the beginning....I'd have saved over $90-$120 on the pair. Anyone looking to purchase the same mirrors contact Marco at http://www.vwantigo.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2959 He was great to deal with and kept constant communication with me throughout process. They even take Paypal. It took about a month for shipping but it was0 winter here and.... Saved me money and that's important nowdays. I love them. What a major improvement in the view.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I had to find a coworker who spoke Brazilian, and he called them up for me. They would not ship to usa, something about import taxes. Co worker kept talking for 10 min, hung up, and told me to give him 50 bucks. He was having them shipped to a friend who was coming to the states on business. A month later I had TWO sets (four mirrors) for 50 bucks. It was the best vw deal I ever got.
lhwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

Check these from Bus depot

http://www.busdepot.com/12179
http://www.busdepot.com/251857543
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
Boesen wrote:
So back in December I bought one Brazilian VW Bay side mirror from CIP1. Could only afford one at the time as they are expensive from them and other US vendors. After receiving it I liked it (what a difference in rearview)and mounted it (I'll install the bolt cover with black RTV in the next few days). I then decided due to price I'd try to find an actual Brazilian Vendor willing to ship me the other side if it was cheaper. Well it sure was. Alot cheaper!! Same VW Brazil Boxed mirror. A pair shipped was $110.20 If I'd only have done this from the beginning....I'd have saved over $90-$120 on the pair. Anyone looking to purchase the same mirrors contact Marco at http://www.vwantigo.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2959 He was great to deal with and kept constant communication with me throughout process. They even take Paypal. It took about a month for shipping but it was0 winter here and.... Saved me money and that's important nowdays. I love them. What a major improvement in the view.

I had to find a coworker who spoke Brazilian, and he called them up for me. They would not ship to usa, something about import taxes. Co worker kept talking for 10 min, hung up, and told me to give him 50 bucks. He was having them shipped to a friend who was coming to the states on business. A month later I had TWO sets (four mirrors) for 50 bucks. It was the best vw deal I ever got.

Strange. They are right here http://www.vwantigo.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=3213

I ordered a pair again for backups just last week thru Marco at Vwantigo. No issue at all. I corresponded thru email just like before. Sorry to hear but you got mirrors in the end with a friends help so thats good.
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

Boesen wrote:

Strange. They are right here http://www.vwantigo.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=3213

I ordered a pair again for backups just last week thru Marco at Vwantigo. No issue at all. I corresponded thru email just like before. Sorry to hear but you got mirrors in the end with a friends help so thats good.

Interesting...the listing shows "chromed". Were the ones you just ordered black or chrome?
coolerthanelvis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
Boesen wrote:

Interesting...the listing shows "chromed". Were the ones you just ordered black or chrome?

I see that it is a different part number from the original post. Maybe the black ones were discontinued?
SV2s member #420
'68 Westy

"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Silent Bob
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

Just got a pair. We had a small miscommunication and then cleared that up and apparently he was out and then apparently got an order in this very day.

Anyway, just got a set for $105.70 shipped to the US. I assume these are the same reproductions being sold elsewhere for $100/pop. Too bad I don't have a Brazilian friend to help me get the super deals.

Here are the links if anyone needs them.

http://www.vwantigo.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2959
http://www.vwantigo.net/shop/product_info.php?products_id=2960
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

Ah those look good. If I already did not have so many unfinished VW projects awaiting time to do.......

And my "high quality" stainless mirrors from Airhead just started bubbling through after 5-6-7 years. My other outside mirror that I think may be original still looks fine after all these years.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:

And my "high quality" stainless mirrors from Airhead just started bubbling through after 5-6-7 years. My other outside mirror that I think may be original still looks fine after all these years.

How frustrating is that. "High quality" is practically a red flag.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:

How frustrating is that. "High quality" is practically a red flag.
Boesen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

My passenger side mirror is not staying adjusted on these Brazilian mirrors. I've tightened the 2 screws on the underside down as much as they can go. I know the top portion is like a ball bolt and it secures itself to the base. Anyone ever diassembled one of these mirrors to tighten up? I did find this diagram online. Going to try to disassemble based off this.

Edlitesnyder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

Will the Brazilians from vwantigo bolt up to the early bays? I have a 1971. Thanks in advance
1974 beetle

Past vws:
1974 beetle
1973 thing
1972 super beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

Edlitesnyder wrote:
Will the Brazilians from vwantigo bolt up to the early bays? I have a 1971. Thanks in advance

Yes I put a set on my 71. These will fit 68 - 79 bay window buses.
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

I just ordered a set from vwantigo, $88 shipped!

The site does allow you to change the language and just in case you guys don’t know, the official language in Brazil is Portuguese. However knowing Portuguese wasn’t necessary (I originally contacted them in Spanish:o and they replied back in English).
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:

The site does allow you to change the language and just in case you guys don’t know, the official language in Brazil is Portuguese. However knowing Portuguese wasn’t necessary (I originally contacted them in Spanish:o and they replied back in English).

I just tried to order - noticed at the last minute that it was only the right hand side (not a set) - I don't see a set (or the left side mirror) anywhere on the site. Maybe you got the last one?!

'78 westy, '64 sedan
canes5time
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

SLVRSRFR wrote:
ivwshane wrote:

I just tried to order - noticed at the last minute that it was only the right hand side (not a set) - I don't see a set (or the left side mirror) anywhere on the site. Maybe you got the last one?!

The pair you can get are the Chrome version.
I seen the right side but no left side.

SLVRSRFR Did you get the Chrome version? Or did you just order the right thinking you were getting a pair.
SLVRSRFR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Larger mirrors Reply with quote

Luckily I noticed before I placed the order...

I just heard back from them (via email) - they will have the left side back in stock in 2 weeks.

I am going to go with the black ones - it would be interesting to see some decent photo's of the chrome ones though...

'78 westy, '64 sedan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: