Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

clutch grinding
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldcrow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject: clutch grinding Reply with quote

this one is new to me and has me scratching my head. ok here it is. with the car in neutral, engine cranks and runs fine. as soon as the clutch is engaged there is a loud grinding noise, and the engine chokes down and will shut off is more throttle isn't given. after shifting into gear the noise goes away and will shift through all the gears (but the noise is still present each time the clutch is depressed)
this is on a 200mm case so no ring on the clutch.
pulled engine
the throw-out bearing was replaced, as well as the clutch and pressure plate and flywheel. still makes noise
????
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: clutch grinding Reply with quote

200mm case means nothing, transmission will, early uses no TO bearing support, if you have the support tube then the pressure plate uses no collar(ring), if it is early without the support tube then the pressure needs the ring as you call it. Verify the type of trans setup, also did you grease the pilot bearing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: clutch grinding Reply with quote

Got pictures of the tranny, clutch, pp, to bearing, gland nut, and flywheel. Picture is worth a thousand words!

Is there oil in the tranny?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: clutch grinding Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Got pictures of the tranny, clutch, pp, to bearing, gland nut, and flywheel. Picture is worth a thousand words!

Is there oil in the tranny?

Probably a mixed/matched wrong T.O bearing vs. trans case. WRong pressure plate vs. TO.

another you forgot to bolt down the engine to the trans case.

If you are not sure what parts go w/ what by memory, employ the Bentley manual please. Memorize it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch grinding Reply with quote

nsracing wrote:
If you are not sure what parts go w/ what by memory, employ the Bentley manual please. Memorize it.

All the years I've been working on various things with manuals, the last thing I would do is "memorize" the manual, that is how mistakes are made. It is written down for a reason. A person just has to take the time to look.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch grinding Reply with quote

How in hell do you make mistakes if you know what is in the manual by heart?
You will make the mistake when you feel your way thru it and not really know what is going on. And then again, you will have people crack that manual stare at it all day long and manage to still screw it up.

If you understand the concept, then it will stick. I don't refer to the manual for everything that I do w/ the car. If I am unsure of something is only time I will crack it open again. If you have to leaf thru the manual for every tiny bit, I will suspect it is one well worn and dirty manual. That thing will look like the reference book at the store for filters and what not.

I don't open the manual if I have to drop a motor to insert a clutch. Do you need a manual to remove a wheel? Remove a spare tire from the trunk?

My only exception is when I am working w/ electrical issues and restoring a wiring harness after someone jumbles.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch grinding Reply with quote

I don't mean that anyone should need the manual for every little thing, just tq specs and maybe something they aren't familiar with. I don't look at it hardly ever either, but I know when I need it, and I use it. But there is no need to memorize it, I have enough stuff to remember (and forget), that I choose not to add to it.
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch grinding Reply with quote

Bet your throw out bearing is dead Crying or Very sad

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: clutch grinding Reply with quote

There are many important things, that aren't in the manual

The clutch is normally engaged.

When you push the pedal down, you disengage it.

Not big deal, think I got it after the third read, but it really confused the heck out of me how you got it backward

Engine has to come back out, sorry. No miracle cure for whatever this is.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: clutch grinding Reply with quote

Simply as picture shows... All MATCH no MIX... pretty hard to get clutch disk in back wards...Well I have never been able to do it...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: clutch grinding Reply with quote

It is really easy to put the clutch disk backwards, leave the gland nut out.
oldcrow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: clutch grinding Reply with quote

to clarify
transaxle is a later model ('73 IRS)
attempt:
1 installed engine with original TO bearing new clutch pack original flywheel
made noise
2 new TO bearing new flywheel different clutch pack (kennedy stage 1)
same noise
3 same new TO bearing same new flywheel original new clutch pack (kept my Kennedy)
same noise
everything torqued to specs.
BUSMAN78 that the clutch disk can be put in backwards.
is this possible without realizing it when bolting down the clutch?
this problem has be scratching my head so much, I am doubting everything now?
oldcrow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: clutch grinding Reply with quote

to clarify
transaxle is a later model ('73 IRS)
attempt:
1 installed engine with original TO bearing new clutch pack original flywheel
made noise
2 new TO bearing new flywheel different clutch pack (kennedy stage 1)
same noise
3 same new TO bearing same new flywheel original new clutch pack (kept my Kennedy)
same noise
everything torqued to specs.
BUSMAN78 that the clutch disk can be put in backwards.
is this possible without realizing it when bolting down the clutch?
this problem has be scratching my head so much, I am doubting everything now?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: clutch grinding Reply with quote

So the original setup made noise and you changed the clutch/disk/TO and still made the same noise.

Did you check the PILOT BEARING? While you are in there, you are supposed to check if it still turns or has grease.

And also, I have seen anybody able to install a clutch disk backwards. How do you get passed and engine build or flywheel install and forget the glandnut?

I suppose the same person can install a pressure plate backwards also. Laughing

I am joking.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: