Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

whip618 - [email protected]
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: whip618
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: January 20, 2024
witoke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: whip618 - [email protected] Reply with quote

This seller is advertising a Syncro weekender in Albuquerque, NM. I went to look at it a few months ago. It seems to have had a pretty bad hit on the passenger side rear. It looks like the entire lower rear quarter was replaced and not very well either. I measured the frame heights and it also looks like the frame on that side is a bit off.

The owner said he had not known about it - but he does now since I pointed it all out to him.

Any prospective buyer should be aware enough to see it but just in case you buy it sight unseen as happens so often these days, beware of it's accident history.

[email protected]
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil is a highly skilled machinist/individual and has helped me with a number of issues related to my type 2 camper with type 4 motor. I purchased a Taco II plate with the temp sensor from him that he machined and it is very nicely done. Great quality. I also had him enlarge and true up my push rod tube ends which will help eliminate my oil leaking issues. He communicated with me on numerous occasions and was willing to help me with every problem I had and offered experienced solutions. His handy work, craftsmanship and creativity can be seen in his photo gallery.

Thanks Phil for everything!

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

received my T4 fuel injection throttle assembly back from Phil, rebuilt to better than new specs.... this thing is a work of art, i'd almost rather display it than install it! thanks Phil, worth every penny.

Kris
Weezle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: rebuilt bug TB's Reply with quote

Just got mine back today. took about 6 weeks from door to door. Of course they look like new. I sent three over and he followed my instructions to make the best of the three stock and try to bore out the second best oversize as much as possible. #3 was not good as a core. Anyway got two throttle bodies to try on my pending new motor. Increasing from 1600 to 1800 hence the bore out mod. Would use again for similar work, good craftsmanship!
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: rebuilt throttle body Reply with quote

I have to agree with rustbus. Phil sold me a rebuilt t/b for my 1978 Champagne Westfalia. It's looks better than new. He was quick to ship and spent a lot of time communicating with me beforehand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61bugmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Rebuilt throttle body! Reply with quote

Got a hold of whip618 when I decided it was down to the throttle body as the culprit for the dreaded high idle, timing adjustment issues. Phil is an absolute craftsman at what he does. His turnaround time was lightning fast and the new part looked like it belonged it a display cabinet! Shiny and flawless! Phil was able to walk me through the process and kept in touch with me weeks later to make sure I was still happy! My '78 bus idles smoother than ever and my low speed driving no longer comes with the annoying bucking! Phil is the BEST and it shows in his product! A new tb from Phil will be the "crowning jewel" on your engine!
e.z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: 2.1 tb Reply with quote

throttle body is like new but better. performs like a dream. whip 618 is a artist.if this ia a dream let me sleep.
e.z Cool
chewabledrapery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Excellent craftsmanship and service. Reply with quote

Hi,

I'd also like to sing Phil's praises, received my TB today and I'm staggered by the quality of the work, it looks and operates better than new.

As well as a refurb, Phil also made an adapter to allow me to mount a BMW throttle position sensor that I intend to use with my megasquirted engine and its better than I could have hoped for.

Turnaround was about 8 weeks door to door and that's to the UK.

Worth every penny a pleasure to deal with, I've got a late bay so tend to use thelatebay UK site so don't use thesamba much but I'm glad I stumbled across Phil and his 'artwork'.

Cheers,

Deano. Very Happy
e.z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: whip618 - [email protected] Reply with quote

got any of those over sized throttle plates for a 2.1. if so how much.thanks e.z Cool
nihil44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: whip618 - [email protected] Reply with quote

Just got my tb back from Phil. It is from a 1.8 914

It drives so smoothly it is almost sinful.

The problem I had (and apparently common) is that the throttle plate would stick in the closed position and would need a blip on the throttle to disengage the throttle plate and then you could feed in the power.

Phil also added a mod -an adjustable stop on the tbspindle assy to stop the throttle plate from jamming on the wall of the tb

Now, I have to change my driving style awww.thesamba.coms you can accelerate silky smooth from rest. A very rewarding result. $295 shipped to Aus.

Thanks Phil

The other plus is that I can now have the secondary return spring which goes from the bell housing tinware to the tb spindle. The secondary spring is obligatory for track use but the car was impossible to drive with one before the rebuild.

Phil can be contacted through Samba (easy to join) or his address is

Philip Eslin
290 Sandia Rd NW
Albuquerque NM 87107-5335
USA

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: whip618 - [email protected] Reply with quote

is there a link to a website or an ad describing his services and prices?
lwhiting
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: whip618 - [email protected] Reply with quote

Phil just did a throttle body for me.....what a piece of craftsmanship. I hated to put it on my dusty engine.....but I did. This guy is busy for a reason. Don't hesitate to give him your business.
Larry
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: whip618 - [email protected] Reply with quote

I am another happy customer. I hated to part with a working TB and not drive my car. As soon as I took it off, the fall weather was perfect for driving.

I got lucky and made a friend that had just removed his engine for rebuild and he loaned me his TB.

The one from Phil is now on and performing great. I am not really sure what improvements I expected, but I do feel like the car, overall, runs smoother. Especially when shifting. I guess my flap was sticking. So now when you take you foot of the gas to shift and then back on, the throttle just feels better.

Thanks Phil.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: whip618 - [email protected] Reply with quote

My throttle body was starting to stick and had a nasty vacuum leak. I too bought a throttle-body from Phil. It's excellent, better than new and worth every penny.
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: whip618 - [email protected] Reply with quote

Phil was absolutely stellar to do business with. Rarely have I found myself so excited by a part, that I didn't say "man, I miss having money in the bank!" Lol
Really though, Phil messaged back and forth with me a few times as I sent over symptoms and videos of my bus' erratic behavior. He cemented my thoughts thatbthe throttle body was tired. He asked me to take some detailed photos of my existing unit so he could build the same one.
He built the new one up and held it for a few days while I was out of state at another VW show.
It got here last week, and was installed on Sunday. He gave me lots of tips and really went out of his way to make this project "one and done".
I wish every product I bought for my bus was this well built and every vendor was as easy as Phil.
Thanks again!

Side by side

Old

New

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: whip618 - [email protected] Reply with quote

I'd like to apologize to Phil for taking so long in posting feedback. Phil blue printed some type 4 oil pumps for me. This man is a true craftsman and a pleasure to deal with! There can be no doubt about the level of pride he takes in his workmanship. I was sent pictures detailing the entire process. I will be glad to have him do work for me in the future, as long as he continues to offer his services.

Thanks again Phil!

a.
Jjnordle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: whip618 - [email protected] Reply with quote

This feedback is a tad late but Phil rebuilt 2 throttle bodies for me back in April and they are simply AMAZING!! Absolute PERFECTION!! One for my Bus and the other to hang on the wall and admire!! Thanks
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: whip618 - [email protected] Reply with quote

Phil’s work is second to none! Phil rebuilt my throttle body and two oil pumps. His work is beyond reproach and the VW community is fortunate to have such a skilled machinist as part of it!
58Ranch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: whip618 - [email protected] Reply with quote

The feedback is a bit late coming as I was working on all the gremlins in my Vanagon. The throttle body rebuild was absolutely worth every cent the bus runs fantastic and the throttle is super smooth. The throttle stop and holes filled and re-drilled was spot on!! Fantastic work.
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: whip618 - [email protected] Reply with quote

I had Phil rebuild my throttle body, and yes it's a work of art.

Can't wait to put it into service in the spring.

Thank you Phil!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: