Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

GW 3rd brake light kit, and GW trailer wiring kit COMBO INSTALL?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: GW 3rd brake light kit, and GW trailer wiring kit COMBO INSTALL? Reply with quote

Hi, got an 85 Westy here, and I'm looking to upgrade my van by adding both the Go Westy 3rd brake light, and the Go Westy (Husky Towing Products) trailer wiring kit!

Why? because we use a platform style hitch bike rack, and when the bikes are on the back you can't see anything!! It's scary as hell going down the highway in stop and go traffic!! So, I bought these kits, and I bought these round LED lights (stop, turn, and taillights) with mounting brackets, and the 4 way wiring from E-Trailer that I plan to modify onto the back of the bike rack!

From what I understand you usually hook either of these kits up using the drivers side rear tail light wiring. The BIG QUESTION is since I have two kits, the 3rd brake light, and the Trailer wiring kit, what is the best way to hook up both? I don't want to start cutting up the van's wiring harness without asking someone about this first. Is there a splice and double connector? Can I splice into the trailer wiring with the 3rd brake light, then go to the regular tail light on the van?

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks for all your time!

I have provided some pictures below for reference.

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

stormforge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: GW 3rd brake light kit, and GW trailer wiring kit COMBO INSTALL? Reply with quote

I just installed that brake light and it gives me a much better feeling that people will see me stopping! Smile

Don't worry too much about where you hook things in -- just splice them both in where the instructions suggest and you shouldn't have any problems.

If you want a cleaner, more professional install then get some heat-shrink tubing, an inexpensive crimp tool, and some higher quality "butt splices". That will give you a much more weather-proof and longer-lasting connection than those clamp-style connectors which pierce the wires and eventually get pretty corroded.

Some splices like these perhaps: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FU2TEUY

With a crimper: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IQIALJC

Some heat shrink over top of the splice: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W70KOQG

The crimp tool will also be great for replacing various terminals, etc... when required.

Tidy everything up with lots of zip ties.

-Bill
'89 Syncro
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 3rd brake light kit, and GW trailer wiring kit COMBO INSTALL? Reply with quote

I also installed that light and added the brake flasher add on.

When you step on the brake it does a quick series of flashes before settling on full on.
It gets the attention of (and probably annoys) the car behind you.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 3rd brake light kit, and GW trailer wiring kit COMBO INSTALL? Reply with quote

Okay you asked for it. FIRST THING: THROW AWAY THOSE WORSE THAN USELESS 3M pieces of junk. Cut the wires, solder the new wire in and cover with heat shrink tubing.
Do you have LEDs installed? If you do you will need a small resistor with heatsink installed to make the trailer lights work properly. PM me if you need specs or parts source.
Lastly do not follow GoWesty wiring instruction for the third brake light. Drill a hole installed a plastic bushing and run the wires thru the left hand rubber "tube"
Do it once and done.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: GW 3rd brake light kit, and GW trailer wiring kit COMBO INSTALL? Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone!

Quote:
I also installed that light and added the brake flasher add on.

When you step on the brake it does a quick series of flashes before settling on full on.
It gets the attention of (and probably annoys) the car behind you.

Great idea! I wouldn't mind doing that if I could flip a switch on/off.

Quote:
FIRST THING: THROW AWAY THOSE WORSE THAN USELESS 3M pieces of junk. Cut the wires, solder the new wire in and cover with heat shrink tubing.
Do you have LEDs installed? If you do you will need a small resistor with heatsink installed to make the trailer lights work properly. PM me if you need specs or parts source.
Lastly do not follow GoWesty wiring instruction for the third brake light. Drill a hole installed a plastic bushing and run the wires thru the left hand rubber "tube"
Do it once and done.

I'm having a hard time following you. What do you mean "Throw away those worse than useless 3M pieces of junk."?? What's so bad about the Go Westy 3rd brake like kit? It's the only brake light kit that I found that goes on the window/outside of the curtains (I drive with mine closed pretty much all the time).
Quote:
Cut the wires, solder the new wire in and cover with heat shrink tubing.

But where, how to connect the two add on's?

Quote:
Do you have LEDs installed? If you do you will need a small resistor with heatsink installed to make the trailer lights work properly.

I haven't done anything yet. The LED tow lights that I bought will plug into the 4 way that somehow has to connect to the van tail lights and new 3rd brake light. The LED tow lights won't be used all the time, only when I am hauling my bikes and the van tail lights are covered up.

Quote:

I need more explanation please?

I understand the cut, spice, soldier, heat shrink stuff. But, I still don't understand how to connect both lights (3rd brake light kit and trailer wiring kit) the best way that it will also allow it to work properly?

Thanks again!
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: GW 3rd brake light kit, and GW trailer wiring kit COMBO INSTALL? Reply with quote

The 3M type connectors are notorious for corrosion, damaged wire and total or intermittent failures. In a protected non vibrating stationary setting they don't all fail. In an automobile they will all fail at some point. You will never see one on a boat or aircraft. Well some on after market powerboat accessories installed by idiots, but they will fail so quickly as to be properly redone the second time.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 3rd brake light kit, and GW trailer wiring kit COMBO INSTALL? Reply with quote

Dan, I think you need to include a pic of a 3m connector for
clarification.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 3rd brake light kit, and GW trailer wiring kit COMBO INSTALL? Reply with quote

Just thinking outside the box here... or actually, perhaps INSIDE the box.. In the engine compartment, there is a black box wire junction that has a round wire connector that manages all the lights at the rear of the Vanagon. There are male and female version of that connector available, I have purchased mine through RMW. It might be a better idea to make a pigtail "Y" with the actual correct connectors, and don't chop into either the harness in front of that black box, or the harness behind it.

-bobby
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 3rd brake light kit, and GW trailer wiring kit COMBO INSTALL? Reply with quote

If someone can share a photo or link to purchase the quality connectors that aren't going to fail then that would be very much appreciated!

Quote:
Just thinking outside the box here... or actually, perhaps INSIDE the box.. In the engine compartment, there is a black box wire junction that has a round wire connector that manages all the lights at the rear of the Vanagon. There are male and female version of that connector available, I have purchased mine through RMW. It might be a better idea to make a pigtail "Y" with the actual correct connectors, and don't chop into either the harness in front of that black box, or the harness behind it.

I like this idea a whole lot better if it will work! Is this the black box your are referring too?

I tried finding the connector through RMW, but didn't find it. One of the reasons I asked for a photo or link above.

Here's another photo of the trailer light kit wires (5 - Red (brake), Yellow (Left turn), Brown (Park&Tail), Green (Right turn), and White (ground). The 3rd brake light kit wires (2 - Black/White (positive), and Black (ground), AND, the van's wiring for each function as well (4 - Black/Red (brake), Black /White (Left turn), Gray/Red (Park&tail), and Black/Green (Right turn).

Connecting the dots (wires) makes perfectly good sense to me. It's how to connect them to were they will be safe, long lasting, and function properly is the question?

Thanks again!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 3rd brake light kit, and GW trailer wiring kit COMBO INSTALL? Reply with quote

gratefulbuses wrote:

I like this idea a whole lot better if it will work! Is this the black box your are referring too?

I tried finding the connector through RMW, but didn't find it. One of the reasons I asked for a photo or link above.

Yes, that is the box. Open it up, you will find two male/female pairs of connectors that are round. One is the engine harness, the other is the rear lights connector. I tracked down the connector I was looking for through a long process of reading and gleaning... The solution I had success with, finally, was actually getting RMW on the phone. They will have what you want, I believe. Just tell then what you are up to, and ask what bits you will need to make that Y connector. I am sure you will like how clean of an option it will be in the end.

-bobby
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 3rd brake light kit, and GW trailer wiring kit COMBO INSTALL? Reply with quote

Bobbyblack, Thanks! I called RMW and they didn't know what I was talking about. He said something about 86-91 vanagons having a different set up inside the black box than the 83-85 models. He also referred to those white, round connectors as 7/10 connectors. I have a 85, and took a picture of the inside of my black box for reference. If you could please take a picture of what your's looks like that would be super helpful! I see the rear lights colored wires on one of those round, white connectors, but I don't see how I'd be able to connect to all of them there.

So, FYI. I asked RMW how they connect a trailer wiring kit, and he said that they are steering away from soldering, and prefer butt connectors and heat shink.
[/quote]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 3rd brake light kit, and GW trailer wiring kit COMBO INSTALL? Reply with quote

Glad to see your black box with both of those "7/10" connectors. I've got an '83.5 and a '87, so perhaps I am not spot on re your setup. But, for the look of your black box, and the Bentley, I'd have to still say you are looking at the engine management "7/10" and the rear lights "7/10"(?) in that pic, unless there is a difference that can't be worked around with a razor blade. Perhaps you are right that there is too little space. I do have an '86 open right now for the Subi swap going on in my garage, that's still not exact for your '85 tho. I'll get a pic tonight. Not sure what to say about the answer you got from RMW, they were super on the phone, and actually chatted around their shop/staff what I was asking for regarding male/female ends I needed. Good folks, and good to listen to.
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: GW 3rd brake light kit, and GW trailer wiring kit COMBO INSTALL? Reply with quote

I would love to hear from some other Volks on how they successsfully added on to their van's rear lights? Especially before I go hacking into my wiring harness or black box!

Please share and post pictures of your connections/connectors!!?? Links where to find such quality parts?

Thanks!
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: GW 3rd brake light kit, and GW trailer wiring kit COMBO INSTALL? Reply with quote

Damn, tough crowd. Laughing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 3rd brake light kit, and GW trailer wiring kit COMBO INSTALL? Reply with quote

Sorry, its been a rough week. Kids headed to Colorado, got in an accident. Nobody hurt, but insurance nightmare. I'll take another look when I can.
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: GW 3rd brake light kit, and GW trailer wiring kit COMBO INSTALL? Reply with quote

Quote:
Sorry, its been a rough week. Kids headed to Colorado, got in an accident. Nobody hurt, but insurance nightmare. I'll take another look when I can.

Bobbyblack, no worries! I wasn't directing my comment towards you at all. Glad to hear you are OK!

I know there are a lot of other people that have added an extra 3rd brake light, and/or trailer wiring kit to their vans, and I'd like to get more info., pictures, and links on the best way to do this (without hacking up the wiring harness)?

Thanks!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: GW 3rd brake light kit, and GW trailer wiring kit COMBO INSTALL? Reply with quote

Found the parts I remembered, looks like you'd just need to get a couple sets and build it, plug it in. (actually, I guess it would be 3 pieces total, not two sets)

I'll try to look this WE to see that my connector fits the lights socket as I suspect from the words in the ad's

http://www.vancafe.com/803971979_p/803971979.htm

http://www.vancafe.com/803971980_p/803971980.htm

I got my stuff from them before they merged, phone call to RMW was all it took.
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: GW 3rd brake light kit, and GW trailer wiring kit COMBO INSTALL? Reply with quote

Quote:
Found the parts I remembered, looks like you'd just need to get a couple sets and build it, plug it in. (actually, I guess it would be 3 pieces total, not two sets)

Thanks for the info. and links! I'm sorry, but I don't understand how that is going to work? I was thinking that it would be some kind of 1 to 2 way thing, something that looks like a "Y"? Sorry that I don't know what I'm talking about.
Thanks again!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: