Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Door lock actuator motor
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Door lock actuator motor Reply with quote

I’d like to rebuild some actuators. I’d replace the motors and rubber unicorn seals if they can be sourced, anyone know where to find them?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Door lock actuator motor Reply with quote

bosruten wrote:
I’d like to rebuild some actuators. I’d replace the motors and rubber unicorn seals if they can be sourced, anyone know where to find them?

I looked for hours for similar boots online, don't waste your time Crying or Very sad

I didn't mine with cutting out dishwashing gloves fingers Wink

Motors can be bought easily, little spirngs are usually rusted out and the culprit for not working. First the boot fails, then water gets in and rusts out the springs then it's all downhill.

I found stainless steel springs a while back that didn't fit perfectly, they were too short but I redrilled the hole to punch a steel ball from a bearing to compensate for the shorter spring. It's still working good 7 years later Wink
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
sbclayton
Samba Member

Location: A place where owning a VW and enjoying life are synonymous

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Door lock actuator motor Reply with quote

I had the same lack of success in finding anything even approximating the original boots. Sorry! As I have posted elsewhere on this forum, the tensioning springs found on Solar Shield clip-on sunglasses, cut to length, are ideal replacements for the sliding contact springs used in the OEM actuators. You can find these sunglasses for as little as $3 with free shipping. That said, I gave in and rewired a pair of Eurovan units, which work just fine, if a bit buzzier and even more cheaply made than the Vanagon originals.

Enlightenment came when I realized that any time in my life I was having fun, it was somehow connected with owning a Volkswagen.
bosruten
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Door lock actuator motor Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll follow the advice and make do...
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Door lock actuator motor Reply with quote

i had an Audi Quattro with the AWD vacuum actuator not working due to the bellows leaking air. made one out of silicone baby bottle nipples + TyWraps and it worked perfectly! nice soft compliance, the nipple tip would recede into the base on retraction.

might work for you!

-dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Door lock actuator motor Reply with quote

Does anyone have a part number or link to a replacement motor for a door lock actuator?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Gnarlodious Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Door lock actuator motor Reply with quote

You are better off replacing it with a generic door lock actuator. They are very cheap. Remote controlled too!
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Door lock actuator motor Reply with quote

Bring it to a radio control store, it's a generic motor. Rebuild it well, it'll last another 3 decades Smile

If you're about to throw them out, send them my way, I'll pay for shipping for spare parts Smile

Aloha!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: