Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1971 Type 2 - all brakes sticking - HELP?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dpetrzelka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: 1971 Type 2 - all brakes sticking - HELP? Reply with quote

Hoping you all may have some suggestions for solving my '71 Type 2 brake problems.

The old calipers/cylinders were failing so I just replaced all of the following:

Master Cylinder
Front Calipers / pads
Front Wheel bearings (set to correct tolerance)
Rear Calipers / Shoes
Emergency Brake Cables

I've gone thought the rear brake adjustment procedure for the shoes and then for the e-brakes.

I'm having drag/excessive heat on front brakes and rear passenger brake. To the point that driving only a few hundred yards heats them up to near seizing.

Any ideas on what could be causing the brake pressure to fail to release?
Would a vacuum assist servo cause these symptoms?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 2 - all brakes sticking - HELP? Reply with quote

Rubber brake hoses collapsed inside so the fluid won't release from the calipers?

Brake push rod not adjusted correctly?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 2 - all brakes sticking - HELP? Reply with quote

make sure the booster to master link is properly adjusted. If the master doesn't fully return it will cause this. Also the rubber hoses can be at fault.
dpetrzelka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 2 - all brakes sticking - HELP? Reply with quote

dpetrzelka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 2 - all brakes sticking - HELP? Reply with quote

I just took the tip off of the vacuum servo shaft (to shorten it as I read in another thread) - reassembled and symtops still the same.

I’ll try replacing the flexible sections of the brake lines, as you suggest, and see if it is those that have collapsed.

Thanks guys
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 2 - all brakes sticking - HELP? Reply with quote

Did your new master cylinder have Residual pressure valves? Yellow arrrow.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If it did they gave you the wrong master cylinder.

There should be a date on the rubber hoses. If they are more than 10 yrs old replace them.

Happy Friday
Tcash
dpetrzelka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 2 - all brakes sticking - HELP? Reply with quote

No residual pressure valves—so I should be good there.

But I’ve owned this bus for 22 years and never changed the brake hoses, so it’s long over due. Is that something I can find at Oreilly/NAPA or is that an online VW specialty purchase?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 2 - all brakes sticking - HELP? Reply with quote

They should carry them.
Start spraying the connections with rust penetranting oil and use an 11mm flare nut (line) wrench, so undone round off the metal faring nuts. IIRC the rubber hose fitting is 17mm.

Good luck
Tcash

Brake Booster
Mispeld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 2 - all brakes sticking - HELP? Reply with quote

Pick a wheel and open the bleeder. If pressure is released (fluid squirts out) and you're able to move the wheel then that usually points to an internally collapsed rubber line. If nothing comes out and the wheel is still locked up then I'd check sticking wheel cylinders or calipers.

It would be rare though, for all 4 rubber lines to collapse or all 4 wheel cylinders/calipers to stick all at once. So if the above doesn't help, then I'd take a closer look at the master cylinder.

I've never seen a bad master cylinder in a hydraulic system lock everything up, but I suppose anything is possible. It's the opposite in fact... spongy or no brakes if the MC was bad.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 2 - all brakes sticking - HELP? Reply with quote

Usually pushrod clearance occurs when a new servo is installed. Removing the end of the servo pushrod tip may not have been enough. Just to rule out the pushrod clearance.
Jack up the left front wheel, rest the weight of the vehicle on a jack stand.
Apply the brake hard and check for drag. Note how long it takes for the drag to go away.
Apply the brake again then loosen the master cylinder mounting and see if the drag goes away.

It may be possible that the new brake fluid caused the brake hoses to swell?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 2 - all brakes sticking - HELP? Reply with quote

I'll go one better. Pick a wheel and open the bleeder. If that wheel spins then it is the rubber hose. If BOTH wheels on the same axle spin easier it is the master relief port being blocked.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 2 - all brakes sticking - HELP? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I'll go one better. Pick a wheel and open the bleeder. If that wheel spins then it is the rubber hose. If BOTH wheels on the same axle spin easier it is the master relief port being blocked.

Master relief port blocked.
That is a good one. I've had this happen on a rebuilt master before.
You should see fluid returning to the fill reservoir every time you release the brake pedal.
On master cylinders with the lid attached. You can remove the lid and watch the reservoir burp with each pedal release.
Good one SGKent
Tcash
dpetrzelka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 2 - all brakes sticking - HELP? Reply with quote

Sure enough, it was three collapsed brake lines. Two front, and the rear passenger all collapsed. I tried blowing air through them after replacing, and nothing would go through. I've owned the bus for more than 22 years, and had never replaced those lines, clearly its something that needs to be done once in a while.

After replacing all four line (as well as all of the above) its stopping better than ever.

Thank you all.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 2 - all brakes sticking - HELP? Reply with quote

thanks for reporting back. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 2 - all brakes sticking - HELP? Reply with quote

dpetrzelka wrote:
Sure enough, it was three collapsed brake lines. Two front, and the rear passenger all collapsed. I tried blowing air through them after replacing, and nothing would go through. I've owned the bus for more than 22 years, and had never replaced those lines, clearly its something that needs to be done once in a while.

After replacing all four line (as well as all of the above) its stopping better than ever.

Thank you all.

Replacing them at about 10 years is a good idea, while 15 years is about the max you should ever let them go. As I am sure you found out they are not expensive.
dpetrzelka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 2 - all brakes sticking - HELP? Reply with quote

They weren't too expensive at all - especially given the results.

O'reilly had three of them, but I still need to track down the hose for the rear driver's side. It is unique in that it is a male to female hose, that goes from a T fitting down to the hard line to the the rear cylinder. The other three hoses are all female/female for connecting two hard lines.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Type 2 - all brakes sticking - HELP? Reply with quote

211611775C
https://www.google.com/search?q=211611775C&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: