Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resale Value of Air-Cooled Westfalias
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Resale Value of Air-Cooled Westfalias Reply with quote

Hello friends, I apologize for not posting in years. Sort of ran out of mods to do and haven't had an unsolvable issue in ages.
Because I've been out of the loop for so long, I haven't followed what the value of 82 Air-Cooled Westy is.
I'm curious because changes in my life are such that I'm going to have put it up for sale. Loved it and had too many great times to list but time to change direction.
Long story short, if you've read my posts from 2008 thru 2011 or so, I've documented my restoration of the old girl, sure didn't hurt I was a bachelor with too much time and probably too much $. I'm sort of a 'belt & suspenders' kind of guy. If you're gonna due something, do it right, make it like new so you don't have to fart around with it later.

So my question is, does anyone have an idea of its value before I post it in the classified. I literally restored, rebuilt or replaced everything except the trans. (Last PO told me they had that rebuilt 25K before I got it but no docs. So I just serviced it and filled it with synthetic gear lube... did fix all the shift linkage). It's sort of a resto mod, monochrome exterior, debadged, single color body, bumpers, mirrors and wheels. Swapped in later interior parts, later headrest seats, padded dash, etc.
Oh, almost forgot. It is the first Jake Raby Camper Special engine sold for a Vanagon, I've even had it on Jake's Dyno. No more stuck in the slow lane... LOL

Any help with reliable info is appreciated, either personal knowledge or where to find the info.

Many thanx to all my friends here, not just gonna miss the Westy but everyone and all the help over the years.

Paull
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Resale Value of Air-Cooled Westfalias Reply with quote

Blast from the past! Bummer that you're selling.

It's hard to say on aircooled vans. There's an '80 Riviera with only 33k miles, an absolute time capsule, that's been for sale in Denver for three months or so and has had a few price drops.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/1980-vw-vanagon-campmobile/6619563993.html

We've been discussing in several threads how the market might be softening a bit across all Vanagon models, at least temporarily.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Resale Value of Air-Cooled Westfalias Reply with quote

There's an arse for every seat. I think you need to figure out what you need, to feel comfortable after the sale and wait for that person to come along. If you list it and get 20 enquiries, you probably did not ask enough. Now is the time to sell it, not next fall after the camping season is over. VW has a pretty good air cooled following, though you would not know it reading the Vanagon threads. Good luck getting what you want.

P.S. when I stop for fuel and someone asks me how much. I usually say $30K just to end the conversation, but at the same time, I'd hate to sell it for even that much.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Resale Value of Air-Cooled Westfalias Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
There's an arse for every seat. .

Only at a reasonable price, which is what he is trying to determine.

I'm amazed when I go back to Craig's List and see some of the same vans that were for sale last year - and the price it still too high.
And there one guy was trying to sell NOS brake shields for well over 3 years, and during that time stainless steel replacements have come available for less money than his steel ones. Yet he changed the ad to get it to the top of Vanagon parts listing. Every. Single. Week. Rolling Eyes

I just donated my car today after lowering the price 2 times, despite people telling me I should have listed it for more. The market spoke...well I guess they didn't say anything, actually! Laughing

I think you need to play up the engine on your van, if you have the dyno results and accurate 0-60 times, use them in the ad. Get it to VW shows and show it there as well.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Resale Value of Air-Cooled Westfalias Reply with quote

I have heard that original air cooled Vanagons are very desirable in Germany and that some are being shipped back from the US. But honestly, I have no verification that is true. You may want to advertise it where it will get exposure outside the US though.
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Resale Value of Air-Cooled Westfalias Reply with quote

As soon as you have somebody who understands what a Jake Raby Camper Special engine is all about and has the money it should be an easy sell.

John
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Resale Value of Air-Cooled Westfalias Reply with quote

Having an 81 myself and in pretty good shape. Lots of new parts, almost stock air cooled motor. I feel its worth around $10,000. I see others asking more and others less. But for what a small camper that you can cook and sleep in, 10 grand is my answer for a good clean air cooled vanagon.
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Resale Value of Air-Cooled Westfalias Reply with quote

First off you need to do some comparison shopping.
Check the ads for air-cooled vans and compare what they have vs asking price.
Only you really know what you have and what it's worth to you.

Next is presentation and exposure. Give the van a good cleaning and then take a bunch of quality pictures of the van. All four sides, engine, interior, and maybe a couple from underneath.
No personnel stuff cluttering up the inside, no camping trip photos with friends and family. Buyers don't care about your personal stuff, better to have a clean slate that the buyer can imagine as their own.
I have seen so many ads where the seller has grabbed just any old photos they had laying around. Looks sloppy.
Don't make the ad over long, list the major stuff and invite questions.

And as mentioned, get your ad out on as many sites as you can.
Good luck!

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Resale Value of Air-Cooled Westfalias Reply with quote

You can search E-Bay completed auctions. A quick search shows 3 @ $4,000-$5,000 and 2 @ $10K.

Yours is certainly better than the two that sold at $10K. I'm guessing that asking $14-17K is reasonable? There are simply more people looking for late water-cooled vans, so your buyer pool is a bit less. However, I have met Bay window people who have expressed interest in air-cooled Vanagons. How you reach them, I have no idea.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Resale Value of Air-Cooled Westfalias Reply with quote

I’m looking into selling mine soon with a fresh top end engine and a Essen trailer and side tent and my range was going to start around $25k, and work down a little from there. I’m also doing a bit of lifting and tires and lights so there’s more to it then that, but I’d guess with a Raby in it you can happily and easily ask for $20k if the westy parts are decent. That’s practically the air cooled version of a Subaru swap and the people who know what a raby is will pay for it.

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: