Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Motor Price
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
caden564
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: VW Motor Price Reply with quote

Does anybody know of a good place to find non rebuilt air-cooled vw engines? Is it best to place an ad in your local classifieds, or is there a good website to look through? I don't know if I'm looking in the wrong places or if they are just hard to come by, but any help is much appreciated. Also what is a fair price for a non running motor once I find one? Thanks
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Motor Price Reply with quote

A complete core engine with all the sheet metal, carb, generator, distributor, heater boxes and clutch should be worth around $200 even if it's locked up.
caden564
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Motor Price Reply with quote

Is that true for both the type I and type IV engines?
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Motor Price Reply with quote

I look in Craigslist weekly for core motors to buy.
They are not that common in SF Bay Area any more.
I'm looking for AE and later, and they are not that common, but do come up.
Last one I bought for $150 with a hole in the case, but was complete with a 38 Amp Generator, and a spare case.
Case had a GEX sticker on it once I removed the tins, removed Oil cooler and found stamps for .060 align bore & .080 thrust.
By the looks of it, it didn't run long before it blew a hole in the case
I got a set of core heads, 3 rods, crank gears, tins, and the Generator from that one, the rest went in the recycle bin.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Motor Price Reply with quote

Personally I would go $400 for a good type 4 core that turns over without locking.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Motor Price Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Personally I would go $400 for a good type 4 core that turns over without locking.

only IF the seller will let you pop the inspection plate off. lots of these have broken cam bosses from being cranked down too tight

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: VW Motor Price Reply with quote

Local PIC-N-PULL had "any engine" for $99 special some time back ... Missed one by and hour...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: VW Motor Price Reply with quote

$75 -100 for core. Anymore than that I don't even ask at swap meets. Good luck lugging it back home. And if there are signs of tampering - $20. Laughing

People sometimes do not want to sell anything- overpriced on a lot of things. And if someone wants to clear out early from the swaps I will throw in an offer for the whole pile.

People will hoard anything and everything VW. There were millions of these cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: