Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What did YOU do to your van today?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 475, 476, 477 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deadvanwalking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Took it out for a dream, sas please Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Ohhhh interesting. More info please. Ford 9 inch?
Deadvanwalking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Ohhhh interesting. More info please. Ford 9 inch?

Toyota 8 inch high pinion front and 8 inch rear, 4:10 gears and ARB lockers fr/rr

Drivetrain length seems to be the bar for feasibility. Front axle fits like it was meant to be, 63” wide, with factory(toyota) wheel offset it would just clear the top fender lip w 32” tires and 8” of up travel. Hoping to reuse factory coil buckets by outboarding the shocks. FJ80 front axle, wishbone 3 link, hydro hi-steer and manual locking hubs. Ideally powered by a mid mount 1uz-fe, w 6L80e transmission, twin stick dana transfer case and t100 rear axle. Going in the yet un-named rusty syncro sinka, if I can make it all fit. Currently the very short rear driveshaft is the only problem w no work around
-Derek-
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Put a new sewfine seat cover and backrest foam on my driver side seat. No more wire frame digging into my back! Did the passenger seat a few weeks back, there was a learning curve - fought every aspect of the job. But did the complete driver seat plus headrest in about 2 hrs this evening. Great product from swefine and great customer support!

4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Put in some OME shocks and struts (huge difference)...stock shocks were completely blown out. I just picked up the syncro about three weeks ago so slowly working on it. Oh and changed front diff oil and hopefully today getting to the transmission. Only negative, I busted the front sway bar link....BUT ordered up some from Burley Motorsports so hopefully get those by the weekend!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

4mymalamute wrote:
Put in some OME shocks and struts (huge difference)...stock shocks were completely blown out. I just picked up the syncro about three weeks ago so slowly working on it. Oh and changed front diff oil and hopefully today getting to the transmission. Only negative, I busted the front sway bar link....BUT ordered up some from Burley Motorsports so hopefully get those by the weekend!

Burley is a great guy and has awesome stuff (I bought big brake kit and rear disc conversion from him), but you might want to consider upgrading the sway bar to t3technique and poly bushings
rty1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

put some new tires one

maxxis ma-715 27x8.5xr14

Last edited by rty1138 on Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
4mymalamute wrote:

Burley is a great guy and has awesome stuff (I bought big brake kit and rear disc conversion from him), but you might want to consider upgrading the sway bar to t3technique and poly bushings

Thanks. As soon as I get the beast up and going (more funds) I will look into that. Next is the brakes. One project at a time here...lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NSPeters92
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Finally cup holders!

Washed up, cleaned, and vacuumed (plus daily organization).
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Changed seasons...finally

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
Changed seasons...finally

I’m looking at building a side mount kayak carrier similar to this. How is your base mounted to the van?
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Quieted my slider. It has been making an increasingly loud screech as well as being hard to close, just at the end of its travel.

First step is to get the cover off and I found myself taking a more…evolved approach, using leverage instead of force. Do the usual prep (soapy water along the groove, remove the screws, pull on the cover to loosen it).

Then take a couple of lengths of wood and and a brick or stone for a fulcrum, put one end of one piece under the cover while you pull it out away from the body and, using the other piece as a lever, pull up and watch the cover lift up and out of its clips. Took about a minute to have mine out. No hammering, no trying to manage three things (hold the block under the cover while pulling it out and hammering on it) with two hands. John @ GoWesty is welcome to incorporate this technique.

Once I got it out and cleaned it with soapy water and rags, I narrowed down the source of the noise and friction to the lower roller assembly, right where it tucks into the body. And boy howdy was there some junk in there. Lots of soapy water, digging around by hand, and a ScotchBrite™ pad, and things got a little better. Off to the car wash and a serious effort at pressure washing in there: lots of small stones and other road debris came forth. And then it was quiet and smooth, better than it ever has been in my three years.

It's drying now. I'll add some wax to the roller track(s) and put it all back together. A pretty easy job, once you get that cover off and you don't find anything horrible under it. I was lucky: mine is pretty good shape under there.

Added some wax to the black insert behind the cover when I reinstalled to make for a smoother fit and to maybe keep it cleaner. Managed to lose one screw/washer but 28¢ at my local hardware store (8 x 3/8 ) put that right.

Also installed my collector plates…no more tab renewals for this one.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Put a new van cafe intake coupler on. The old one was splitting.
oldschool84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Not today but earlier this week I replaced the alternator, adding a GO Westy bracket. Thanks to everybody here who encouraged me to give the job a shot myself - my wife was ridiculously impressed since I barely do any auto stuff.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

oldschool84 wrote:
Not today but earlier this week I replaced the alternator, adding a GO Westy bracket. Thanks to everybody here who encouraged me to give the job a shot myself - my wife was ridiculously impressed since I barely do any auto stuff.

Just wait until you do the job in a parking lot hundreds of miles from home with a spare that you just happen to have with you. Major husband points.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Ordered an oil pressure gauge, sender and pod yesterday, ran the wire for it today. Found a small hole in the rubber seal for the heat vent lever controls and fed the wire down there. Had to drop the spare and then just followed the frame/radiator hoses the whole way.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a bottle jack? I could not get the clamshell to close around the spare. It was so hard to close, I had to make a lever out of a brick and a 2x12 get it latched. It's a very tight fit. A bottle jack would have been an easier option.

EDIT: just scored a Toyota bottle jack from the big auction mess. Dave Vickery had good things to say about them in another thread. I'd sooner buy a used Toyo than a new piece of junk which seems to be much of what's on offer.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
porterbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Install new grey plastic door panels. My old (original) panels had some warping, and my new Rockford Fosgate speakers wouldn't clear the dash so I decided it was time to upgrade.

I didn't know how I'd feel about the "industrial" or "jeep-like" aesthetic, but I'm really digging them.

I was on the fence about grey vs. black, and I'm super glad that I went with the grey.

Easy install, overall. The Molly panel clips are a bit so-so. I like the look, but I see myself buying them in bulk to have around. They install (just) ok, but I had to do the install twice on the driver's side--getting them out was a bit more involved without stripping the heads. In reading about other folks doing this upgrade, the Molly clips seemed to be one of the things that folks weren't 100% happy with.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
...just scored a Toyota bottle jack...

Good choice...you're gonna like it! I got mine a few years ago & it's super solid.

FWIW, I added a few coats of liquid vinyl on the cap for better "stiction" while in use:

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Make America Vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

I've never seen a setup like this; do cops pull you over, and do cars/motorcycles on your left get nervous?

Last edited by Make America Vanagon on Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What did YOU do to your van today? Reply with quote

porterbrown wrote:
Install new grey plastic door panels...

Clean...very clean!

Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 475, 476, 477 ... 628, 629, 630  Next
Jump to:
Page 476 of 630

Jump to: