Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

pertronix electronic ignition.
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: pertronix electronic ignition. Reply with quote

pepsiguy78 wrote:
Considering installing a Pertronic electronic ignition on my 74 super with the Bosch 009 distributor. # 231 178 009. What are some concerns that I should watch out for? What coil should I use?

don't connect the wires backwards to the coil - red is hot and black is negative! I use standard bosch blue coils and never had any problem. You may have to take a file or similar to clear a few thousandths off your rotor so it doesn't hit the top of the distributor cap.

don't pay much attention to the naysayers of the electronic points modules - pushing 100k on my original pertronix I purchased in 2003. Wink
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: pertronix electronic ignition. Reply with quote

67jason wrote:
pushing 100k on my original pertronix I purchased in 2003. Wink

The new ones are not as good as the old ones.

I've tested a few and found a 4* variance from cylinder to cylinder on some. putting magnets in a plastic ring not not very precise.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: pertronix electronic ignition. Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
67jason wrote:
pushing 100k on my original pertronix I purchased in 2003. Wink

The new ones are not as good as the old ones.

I've tested a few and found a 4* variance from cylinder to cylinder on some. putting magnets in a plastic ring not not very precise.

the one I purchased last year for my wifes 019 is dead on up to 5500 rpm...thats all she needs outta her baby motor. I have seen accufiure and compufire modules in various good to not so good flavors of 009s that had issues. ive also had a good discussion with clyde berg regarding points modules, he currently swears by the cheapo accufire ones...so to each their own I say Smile
pepsiguy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: pertronix electronic ignition. Reply with quote

Hi guys, I finally bought a Pertronix ignitor for my car and I am having "issues" with the install - help please.
I have a 0-231-178-009 distributor on my car and was sold a Pertronix Ignitor 1847V model kit. I think I was sold the wrong one, I think that one is made for a vacuum advance and my dizzy does not have the can on the side. I believe the model I should have received is the 1847A model.
With that being said I am trying to make this work. The grommet on the model I have is round and the opening on my dizzy is square, I was able to coax the round grommet into the square opening and that is fine. I installed the module into the distributor and put the magnet down the shaft, lined up the indents on the cam lobes and pressed in place. Now it is time to put the rotor on and it does not seat all the way down because of the magnet - ugh! What do I do? Is it because I was sold the wrong model or? I have read where some people have to sand or grind on the bottom of the rotor to get it to fit. What do you think?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: pertronix electronic ignition. Reply with quote

pepsiguy78 wrote:
I have read where some people have to sand or grind on the bottom of the rotor to get it to fit. What do you think?

You got it. I don't know why no one makes one for this, so you have to cut it to fit with the module.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pepsiguy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: pertronix electronic ignition. Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
pepsiguy78 wrote:
I have read where some people have to sand or grind on the bottom of the rotor to get it to fit. What do you think?

You got it. I don't know why no one makes one for this, so you have to cut it to fit with the module.

What would you recommend to use to cut the rotor down? Grinder, belt sander?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: pertronix electronic ignition. Reply with quote

pepsiguy78 wrote:
What would you recommend to use to cut the rotor down? Grinder, belt sander?

I used a hacksaw for the rough cut then some coarse grit sandpaper to square it up evenly. Remove the metal tensioner on the underside of the rotor before you saw. You may need to trim the metal tensioner to fit the shorter rotor.

Really it only took like 10min. The plastic is rather soft.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: pertronix electronic ignition. Reply with quote

I use a dremel.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: pertronix electronic ignition. Reply with quote

I use a belt sander, but its really not critical. The top of the distributor shaft sets the height. The bottom of the rotor is not spinning against anything, so even if its not level, it doesnt matter. I like to make it square, juts because thats how I am. Laughing
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: pertronix electronic ignition. Reply with quote

I used my bench grinder.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: pertronix electronic ignition. Reply with quote

I used a dental tool
chrisarnt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: pertronix electronic ignition. Reply with quote

If you can afford it I recommend the full coil pack system that replaces the coil and the distributor... or some replace the distributor cap.

I have one on mine and it's great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: pertronix electronic ignition. Reply with quote

chrisarnt wrote:
If you can afford it I recommend the full coil pack system that replaces the coil and the distributor... or some replace the distributor cap.

I have one on mine and it's great.

What system are you using? Compufire? MSD? Other..?

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
pepsiguy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: pertronix electronic ignition. Reply with quote

It really seems like Pertronix should mention in the instructions that trimming the rotor may be necessary. Most people say installation is a simple task and I agree except for this step. I wonder why some rotors simply fit and many need trimming. Time to get the saw out- carpentry tools for my ACVW, my "road side" tool bag is getting bigger - ha.
pepsiguy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: pertronix electronic ignition. Reply with quote

Update on the Pertronix installation:
After trimming the rotor down by 1/4 inch the rotor slid on and the cap snapped on. With a turn of the key the car came to life and ran smooth.
I used a coping saw to simply trim off the extra length from the rotor and a "side cutter" to shorten the tensioning metal.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: pertronix electronic ignition. Reply with quote

My SVDA distributor was an original VW 034/205 ('74 STD Beetle). My electronic points were Compu-Fire which uses a flat large diameter disc w/ four magnets imbedded.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The disc fits snuggly over the top of the square distributor shaft cam. For my SVDA install I added the included small shim to lift the bottom of the disc high enough so it didn't contact the module. This disc and spacer took up some of the space on the shaft and lifted the rotor.

I only realized there was a problem when I started the engine and saw the distributor cap "dancing". The rotor was hitting the bottom of the posts and lifting the cap as it rotated. Craziest thing I've seen. I was amazed the engine was actually running. I think trimming 1/4" from the bottom of the rotor was just right to allow the rotor to clear the disc and fully seat onto the slot at the top of the shaft. I suppose you may want to cut less and fit it so it is pressing down on the disc to prevent it from lifting up over time (though, technically the CW rotation of the rotor should seat the disc further onto the shaft).
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: