Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

I have run across many people recently who are not happy with their new fuel gauge senders. A common complaint is that the new sender only displays half full when the tank is actually filled up. Another increasingly common scenario is that the gauge plummets rapidly towards reserve when there is still plenty of gas left in the tank.

SO . . . look at the gauge. It is not linear. From full to half takes only 1/3 the travel. Then, 1/2 to below reserve takes 2/3 the distance.

We know that a full tank should yield a sensor reading of 10 ohms.
An empty tank should yield a reading of 75 ohms.

The gauge needle is linear. A half tank *reading* on the gauge should occur by around 25 ohms, then we have a long trip to empty from there.

It is the SENDER that gives us a progressively fasterr descent as the fuel level drops.

Here is a factory sender. Ignore the burnt up mess, please. The small end is the full side. Each loop slowly adds resistance, and the heater slowly cools and allows the needle to move lazily towards 1/2. Then the loops get bigger and each loop causes a larger increase in resistance and the gauge moves more quickly towards empty.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You are viewing the "variable resistor" from the "front of the bus" back. The lever/float goes up to the right in this photograph, which is actually to the left when installed in the tank. The short end of the "variable resistor" is toward full.

Does anyone have a new sender sitting around? I was thinking, the above symptoms could occur if:
a) the new sender has a non-progressive "variable resistor"
b) the new sender has a progressive "variable resistor" installed backwards

I'd like to resolve this.
Colin
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

Can’t exactly help with your request, but I was under the impression the float itself was also one of the main problems with the new senders, they don’t remain sealed and fill up with gas and sink a bit below the actual level....

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
Can’t exactly help with your request, but I was under the impression the float itself was also one of the main problems with the new senders, they don’t remain sealed and fill up with gas and sink a bit below the actual level....

That is an issue, yes, but different than this request. I have been informed by one person so far that indeed their new sender is a simple square card with wire wrapped around it, thus the progressive nature of the gauge is bodged to all heck.
Colin
furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

Amskeptic wrote:
[...] their new sender is a simple square card with wire wrapped around it, thus the progressive nature of the gauge is bodged to all heck.

It might be useful to see a picture showing how their wire is wound.

I'm sure I'm not saying something that you don't already know, but that the shape of the support is square/rectangular does not necessarily mean that the wire loops are not packed progressively tighter towards one end to achieve the non-linear resistance output.

This is a picture of a '76 sender showing this. I'm not sure if it was factory-installed, but it's an original VDO part with the VW part number.

A while ago, I documented what I measured on mine with some charts and diagrams. It would be interesting to see if the resistance curve of the sender with the necked board is the same.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693930

Decode your M-Plate

Last edited by furgo on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:16 am; edited 1 time in total
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

I can't recall seeing the necked board in any OG senders I've been in, they were all rectangular like Furgo's (although some were mighty scorched).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

If the board or the windings are not centered on the fulcrum this could account for the movement not being equal.

As far as the rapid change in readings in service. The windings, a sticky or jumpy float could be the cause.

Does it have a contact spring?
HOW TO: Revive your fuel gauge sender for $1 FAQ
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Good luck
Tcash
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

furgo wrote:

the shape of the support is square/rectangular does not necessarily mean that the wire loops are not packed progressively tighter towards one end to achieve the non-linear resistance output.

True. I am trying to track down the whys and wherefores of so many irritated people and their irritating fuel gauges.

Your chart shows the progression nicely. 11 ohms takes you from full to half, another 12 ohms takes you just from 1/2 to 1/4 and 1/4 to justreserve is even more.

Sure, a progressively wound board would do exactly the same thing as my board (before I killed it), but it is harder on the wires under the wiper!
Colin
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

I've posted on this before. The original floats in late T2b were flat topped with the arm thru their middle. That allowed them to ride higher for any given fuel level. The new ones have a round float with metal that goes beyond them so they don't wear thru hitting the tank top. The replacement senders also work in some other VW models - they weren't calibrated for bays. With the tank out put the sender in and hook it up. Read the number with the arm all the way down. Use a wooden yard stick thru the fill opening to raise the float to the top. Read the gauge. Bend the arm to adjust. Do it again. When you are satisfied with the results you can bend the stop on the gauge in the down position if you want to set the downside. That is how I fixed mine and it reads 1/2 at 1/2, 3/4 at 3/4, full at full, and on reserve when it is on reserve.
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

I installed a new sender from Bus Depot a year ago and it works consistently.
The only issue I'm having is that when full, the gauge reads at 7/8's. I realize this my comment is less empirical than Colin's original post
but wanted to report that mine is working quite well.

Jeff
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:
The only issue I'm having is that when full, the gauge reads at 7/8's. I realize this my comment is less empirical than Colin's original post

Jeff

yes - you have to adjust the arm for it to read right.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

I retract my previous statement about never seeing one of those necked boards, I just encountered one in a 74 Superbeetle today.
The new replacement "hecho in Mexico" sender was trash so I resurrected the OG unit, I never opened up the new one to look at the windings.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:

Jeff

I wish I were having that problem instead.

I installed a new sender a year ago also. It works consistently. When it's full it reads exactly full, but when it reads 1/4 full it actually means that I'm out of gas and I'd better start walking. Oh shit where was that jerry can again?

I wish it were accurate when its empty instead of when it's full. Confused
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

make sure that the sender stop isn't holding the arm from falling all the way.
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
make sure that the sender stop isn't holding the arm from falling all the way.

It doesn't seem like it's getting hung up. It goes down steadily and evenly until it hits 1/4 tank or a bit more sometimes, then I'm walking.

I plan to have the engine out in the next few weeks sometime to address a leaking flywheel seal. I'll pull the firewall and have a look at the sender at that time. If it looks ok I might just give the arm a bit of a tweak.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

If you got it out, don't tweet the arm. Tweet the stop the arm rest against.
Make sure the sender is installed perpendicular to the length of the tank and not hitting on the sides.
rusty busty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

Great. My bus has overheard me complaining about the fuel gauge not going to empty, so now the fuel gauge has gone to empty and stayed there. I'm assuming that the float is no longer floating.

So I got less than a year from the new sender. Evil or Very Mad
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

You’re lucky...the new one I just bought from Bus Depot leaked gas where the plastic insulator meets the top cap from the first minute it was installed. Sure, I know how much gas is in there, but the resulting fumes make me nauseous. Sad
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

So what would be the best sender to buy? I have a new tank going in and would love to have a proper working gauge for once.

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

What's wrong with yours?, unless it's melted or rusted so badly the arm broke off the best cure is to rewind the OG one.

Слава Україні!
DougB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Late Bay New Fuel Gauge Senders And Their Readings Reply with quote

Oh, I didn’t know you could rewind them. I’ll have to find that thread...I still have all the parts, but the wire is severed. Interesting that my gauge crapped out at the same time, too, but luckily I had a spare.
'41 Zundapp KS600
'55 Puch SGS250
A very, very understanding wife
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: