Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan Lift Kit
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bellecheval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

I'm trying to find a replacement to the GoWesty lift kit for my 1995 Eurovan Full Camper as the shocks are sold out until later in June and I need to get it ready for some summer trips. I've been doing a lot of research and I think I can get all the parts separate except for the shocks. Is there any place to find the heavy duty Bilstein shocks or Fox shocks for Eurovans? Any other considerations I need to think about? Thanks!
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

Bilstein HDs can be ordered through Autozone, you can also find coupons to lower the cost, I found a 40% off (online only, shipped free to local FLAPS) when I made my last bilstein order through them.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
bellecheval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

Thanks! Does Autozone stock the heavy duty ones? The only ones I can find are these and I can't tell if they are heavy duty version: https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-...62957_7413
saintjobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

I just bought a full set of HD Bilsteins from shockwarehouse.com for $450. I've only driven the van to the dealership to get the alignment, but they are a big improvement over the worn out stock ones. The yellow and blue ones are the hd ones.

Last edited by saintjobe on Tue May 08, 2018 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
saintjobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

Also, if you are in the Denver area I have a set of the stock 16 inch rims with good tires on them that I'd sell you for a song (spare included)... They are not the same width and offset as the go westy rims, but they would be a big improvement over the 15 inch rims that are probably on your '95. Mine came off of my 2002. They are actually less than 1/2 inch od smaller than the rims and tires go westy offers. Also, go westy has been out of their geolanders too. I bought my new rims from go westy and then bought the tires from big o. This can also cause problems though, in fact, discount tire would not sell me the geolanders since the load rating is just a bit shy of what eurovans call for.

I just sent you a pm with my phone #. I am literally picking up my van from getting the alignment this afternoon, so if there is anything else you'd like to talk through I'd be happy to chat about what I have learned in this process.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

Cole at cavevan.com can help you out a lot. He knows what is needed, his crew did the lift on my '95 camper.

Bilstein HD4600 front shocks are PN 24-019118 and are easily available.
Bilstein HD4600 rear shocks are PN 24-214230 and it looks like shockwarehouse has all four shocks in stock - https://www.shockwarehouse.com/cart/cart.cfm

Here's what Shockwarehouse offers:

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index.cfm?selected_m...de=results

If you want the GoWesty kind of lift you will have to add 16" wheels with a ET42 to ET48 offset so you can put 225/70/16 tires on.

Then you add puck spacers above the rear springs for a 2" lift. Then you adjust the front torion bars up an appropriate amount via a T-bar and a 28mm nut. Basically just call Cole at cavevan.com
bellecheval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

Thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate it and for finding me the shocks. I was having a really hard time finding the part numbers and exactly what shocks I needed. I have been in contact with Cavevan about the spacers so I will order those. I think I should be able to work everything else out and pass on this information to the mechanic who will do the work. Thanks again!
saintjobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

Just got mine back. This 2002 has 3/4 inch spacer in the left rear and 1/4 in the right rear. I added a before and after pic too. Next project, racks for my box and road shower!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Before

After
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

saintjobe wrote:
Just got mine back. This 2002 has 3/4 inch spacer in the left rear and 1/4 in the right rear. I added a before and after pic too. Next project, racks for my box and road shower!

Before

After

Looks good. What size tires? I would have liked to get those 16" wheels. I ended up buying Audi 16" wheels ET42 off of Craigslist. They were curb chewed so bad I filled the chew marks with silicone then Plastidipped. Added VW center caps for $30 each, ouch.

Your LP tank looks banged up like mine, these Winnies definitely need to be lifted. Mine, the front bash guard for the LP tank got hit so hard from a previous owner the spot welds are ripped out of the frame.
saintjobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

Tires are 235/60 16. Actually, lp tank is all in great shape, just the normal destruction under the rocker panels from improper jacking from someone in the past.
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

saintjobe wrote:
Tires are 235/60 16. Actually, lp tank is all in great shape, just the normal destruction under the rocker panels from improper jacking from someone in the past.

I went with 225/70/16 for the extra .5" ground clearance (every little bit counts for me), found the selection was a bit better and the load ratings were higher.

Yep, seems like every EV has rocker panel damage from improper jacking. Enjoy!

saintjobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

Nice, representing old and older! Did you tighten the torsion bars on the eurovan? And how much spacer did you put in the rear?
Broseph Stalin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

saintjobe wrote:
Nice, representing old and older! Did you tighten the torsion bars on the eurovan? And how much spacer did you put in the rear?

Cavevan put the 1.5" rear pucks in, and adjusted the torsion bars up about an inch. I may adjust them up another inch but I'm a bit worried about CV angles. There's plenty of thread to go up another two inches, but . . . . .

Pic of an old split window and a Trailmanor trailer, I had similar units before. That Trailmanor 2619 was pretty ok. I had a '67 Westfalia with a 1776cc dualport, had the side tent, luggage rack.
TheDangerZone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

So, are the HD Bilsteins enough for the '95 EVC? GoWesty recommends the XHDs, which I haven't been able to find elsewhere online (at least using the XHD moniker.)
bellecheval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

I ended up with the HD Bilstein shocks because I ran into the same problem. I was told they would be fine. I'm sure someone here can speak to this more but from what I've heard, the HD Bilstein shocks will definitely be an improvement over the standard shocks on the Eurovan. You can purchase the XHDs if you buy the full lift kit from GoWesty (it wasn't available a couple months ago so that's why I pieced it together).
fatrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

[quote="Broseph Stalin"]
saintjobe wrote:

Cavevan put the 1.5" rear pucks in, and adjusted the torsion bars up about an inch. I may adjust them up another inch but I'm a bit worried about CV angles. There's plenty of thread to go up another two inches, but . . . . .

Very cool, Broseph! I've been debating the 1.5" Cavevan pucks myself and was nervous about the torsion bars up front. You also added new shocks at the same time, correct? Was that necessary, or moreso, would I be dumb not to do shocks too?

Thanks man!
Furgoman_u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

Hi everybody.
We are right now with the same dilema.
We need to lift the van to put bigger offroad tyres. The van has 302.000 km and perhaps it is a good moment to upgrade the suspension.
So we are the Cavevan lift kit or go for a broke and install the Seikel lift kit with new springs and shocks.
What do you think? Sooner or later the shocks are going be replaced.
Furgoman_u
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

saintjobe wrote:

Before

After

Hi, saintjobe.
I understand that you have installed bigger spacer on the left side than on the right. Is that because of the weight of wardrobe, tanks and so on the left side of the van? Our van is a little lower on the rear left side than on the right and I think the reason of that is the weight inside.
Thanks in advance!
saintjobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

Yes, I ordered a single half inch spacer from Go Westy and then used the pattern to cut two more 1/4 inch spacers from material I just boaught on amazon for about ten bucks. Here is the link...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ILLNJ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I have 3/4 on the left and 1/4 on the right. I know a lot of folks on the site are putting more than that, but I was just trying to be conscious of not changing the angle on the transaxles (CV joints) too much. All in all I am very happy with the change!

Last edited by saintjobe on Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
saintjobe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Lift Kit Reply with quote

ALSO, GO WESTY JUST PUT THE WHOLE KIT ON SALE, SO YOU CAN GET IT ALL FOR $200 LESS THAN BEFORE!!! Still a bit pricey, but worth it, especially for pre-2001 EVCs!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: