Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

panscraper66 build thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

If you shave the gas door please post photos. This is the one "custom" thing I want to do to mine.

I was going to re-weld the filler neck on the tank, but instead I just ordered a 1967 tank from CIP1 (20% off right now)
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
If you shave the gas door please post photos. This is the one "custom" thing I want to do to mine.

I was going to re-weld the filler neck on the tank, but instead I just ordered a 1967 tank from CIP1 (20% off right now)

ya def will post pictures of the process i take.. what tank did you get the 12 gallon one?
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

Stock size (around 10 gallons), not the larger one:
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-201-075-AB

They make a few different ones.

I bought some 3x1 inch steel tubing to raise it up. I'll be welding that up tomorrow.
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
Stock size (around 10 gallons), not the larger one:
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-113-201-075-AB

They make a few different ones.

I bought some 3x1 inch steel tubing to raise it up. I'll be welding that up tomorrow.

thanks for that link.. for some reason i was only finding the one that was 10% off.. ill have to place a order tomorrow for one.. ill watch your thread for pix.. i like the idea of raising the tank.. i was thinking some kind of hinge on it would be sweet to for easy access to the beam and tie rods, and master cylinder if your resi is on top of it..
FaanP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

panScraper66 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Are you going to cut off the top lip of the lid? It makes it look cleaner in my opinion.
FaanP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:

Want to do the same at some stage but I want to fit one of these:

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

panScraper66 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Are you replacing the whole front clip or just the apron? I think just the apron would be fine, your hood would sit right and you wouldn’t need to replace anything that doesn’t need to be replaced.

ya i dont think im going to replace the whole thing.. the 70s spare tire well is crinkled a lil bit so im thinking from the front gas tank shelf to the nose..
Yeah that’s what I mean, you are replacing the whole clip. What if you pulled out the wrinkles and just did the apron. No messing with the vin and it would look the same just the hood would work.
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

FaanP wrote:
panScraper66 wrote:

Are you going to cut off the top lip of the lid? It makes it look cleaner in my opinion.

i thought that looked a lil funny to.. cutting it off might be a good idea
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

67ctbug wrote:
panScraper66 wrote:
67ctbug wrote:
Are you replacing the whole front clip or just the apron? I think just the apron would be fine, your hood would sit right and you wouldn’t need to replace anything that doesn’t need to be replaced.

Yeah that’s what I mean, you are replacing the whole clip. What if you pulled out the wrinkles and just did the apron. No messing with the vin and it would look the same just the hood would work.

i need the early bumper mounts to.. not to worried about the vin... i can always pop rivit it on the new piece.. i do need to cut out a little bit of the spare tire well either way for the air bag to fit in there a lil bit.. so i just gotta take some measurements and see what would be best fit
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

so i did a little measuring with the 66 interior ice pick latches compared to the 70 latches.. looks like they mounted the 70 handles a little closer to the door handle side of the door.. but the 66 latch indents are still on the 70 door..(the 66 latches have little dome on the back that wont lay flat on the 70 mounting holes) hope that made sense.. ill post some pictures in a little bit of it..

but since i realized the inside handle locations are a little different the 66 door panels are most likely different to.. so i plan to mount the 66 latch on the indents that are still recessed on the 70 door and drill 2 mounting holes and bolt them in the new (old) location.. measured the window cranks and they seem to be in the same location between the years so i should be fine there.. so theres subtle differences but should be able to work around it and make it work
BigSherm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

Hey, Scraper-

Any developments in using those earlier handles?
It’s an interesting idea I might want to copy!

Sherm
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

BigSherm wrote:
Hey, Scraper-

Any developments in using those earlier handles?
It’s an interesting idea I might want to copy!

Sherm

hows it goin bigsherm, i didnt get a chance to work on the bug this weekend.. should have time this week to pick up some hardware and get this started.. but here are some pictures of the doors and plans

so heres how the stock 70 interior latches are

and when you remove it you can see the indents still in the door panel for the 66 and earlier latches

back side of the 66 latches and fitment

so i was just going to heat and bend that rod that connects to the 70 to fit the angle of the 66, but realized its to short.. to im going to use this bar off the 66, well a piece of it anyway.. i plan to cut it, and slot it to fit the 70 rod in the middle and weld it together.. then it will just attach to the 66 latch like it was made to..

so at this point im pretty sure everything should work as planned fitment wise with the latches and on the earlier door panels.. the only thing im not positive on is if the holes that the panels attach to the door to are the same throughout these years.. im assuming they are since it would seem to be a pointless change to make, plus if the 66 latch indents are still in the 70 door panels im pretty sure they used the same stamps just changed styles of parts..

anyway thats the plan.. should have some finished pictures by the weekend Dancing
BigSherm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

Scraper,

That’s great info, nicely done!

Thanks.
Sherm
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

finally got a little time today to mess around with the bug.. got the driver side 66 door latch on the 70 bug.. tested it out and it works awesomely! woulda did the other side but i had to run to the store to get more grinding discs and other tools.. so ill see about finishing the other side tonight or tomorrow... also gotta get a rivit to replace that bolt on the latch arm, just had that for mock up

made a template to copy the shape since i only have one of these bar latches

panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

a little more work on the bug today... finished up the passenger side door handle and cut out the gas fill door and got it tacked in place.. gonna finish welding it up tomorrow

Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

Nice. Btw I got my not so quality gas tank in. The joint where the 2 pieces meet was wavy and it wasn't square either.

I pounded it flat and dropped it into my frame to trace an outline, then trimmed it.

Still saved $50 over the "quality" version.

Oh yeah and I chopped 1.5" out of the filler neck.
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

finished welding up the gas tank door.. just got some finish work to do on it, and prolly do some hammer and dollie on it to finish it up nice

FaanP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

Looking good. Going to do the same for my boat style filler.
panScraper66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

decided to do some cutting tonight.. made some templates of the new apron, traced it onto the 70 and hacked it off.. fingers crossed i got it right lol.. gotta trim the gas tank rails on the new apron a bit to fit it but it looks like it should line up nicely.. also mocked up the pandragger products air ride beam.. hopefully finish trimming it up and get it tacked and fitted tomorrow.. got a big mess to clean up to as you can see lol

Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: panscraper66 build thread Reply with quote

Does the front body fit with the air bag in front like that?

Guess you need to take the beam out the change your shift rod bushing. Better do that now while it is easy.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: