Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omario
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

Found out that my tires are 18 years old. What is the standard size for an original 59 bug? What tire brand is best? Where to buy them from?

Thanks
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

Stock size was bias ply 5.60 x 15. The closest radial equivalent is 155SR15, but you don't really find either of those sizes any more. 165/80R15 is the usual go-to size for stock Bug tires.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

If you want original style replacements, go to Coker Tire. They sell 560-15 bias ply in various styles and makes. They aint cheap -starting around $150 each plus shipping. If you want radials, they sell those as well and there are cheaper options as well from other sources.

Tires are a personal choice and I personally hate bias ply, but that's what came on the cars originally for many years.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

More than just "many years" , save for some special editions, Beetles always came with bias ply tires all the way to the end of German production.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Omario
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

Sorry for my ignorance. What is Bias ply?
Sqrbckguy38
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

A bias ply tire is simply just a different construction of the tire. Radial tires are what most everything else now a days it's made with. The bias are made in that the sections of a tire are interdependent to each other, where as radial tires are made so that the sidewalls and tread can move and act independently.
67 Beetle, Opal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

plus the fact that bias plies use polyester cords and steel betled radials use a mesh of fine braided steel molded into the structure of the tire.

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

I have had several of our cars that had bias ply when we acquired them. Ride quality and handling was very inferior to how the were after I switched to radials IMHO. It really gets down to how "correct" you want the car to be. If going to an AACA judged show, you may want to confirm whether you are penalized for radials or not. I do not know the answer but would be surprised if there was a penalty.

All gets down to what you are doing with the car and what your priorities are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Omario
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the feedback. My car is show quality. However, drivability and comfort is more important to me, so I will go with radials.

Question: If going with radials, any shop can do balancing on these old rims or have to go to a specialty place for proper balancing?
Omario
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

Also, what is the widest radial I can put?
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

You will need a shop that has the adapter to fit the rim.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
You will need a shop that has the adapter to fit the rim.

X2 and most shops will only be able to bubble balance, just FYI, unless that have the adapter. If you have stock rims, I don't know if I would go any wider than 165. You can get the 165R/15 at quite a few places and I have those on my 65 (30,000 miles on them so far). Some folks feel that you should use an inner tube, but I don't use them.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

Below is a link to a thread that you should consider regarding balancing. Balancing beads eliminate the need for lead weights. They have been used in big rigs for a while, and they just happen to work great in our cars- I’ve been rolling on mine for years and love them. They are not expensive at all- no additional cost above a normal balance service.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503595&highlight=dynabeads
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

Myself, I bought a bolt-on adapter many years ago, which I supply to the tire shop enabling them to fit wide-five wheels onto now/current balancing equipment.

andk5591 wrote:
I have had several of our cars that had bias ply when we acquired them. Ride quality and handling was very inferior to how the were after I switched to radials IMHO. .

Interesting comment. Now instructions from VW from the early 60s seemed to try to warn people off of Radials, but that also reflected the state of technology, radial tires improved greatly after that time.

Now while I've never back-tracked to bias ply tires but I have heard first hand testaments from others that have and they rather liked the difference. Still, nice new bias ply tires might run just a bit better than 40 year old ones that sat for decades flat on the ground... Brick wall

herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

Bias ply tires have pros and cons...

Their design make them very strong against impacts on the side, heavy load, stones, etc.

However this robust design is an handicap when driving at high speed because the tire does not adapt well its shape on a flat road, as a bias ply tire should do.

The two ends of the question: a tractor mounts bias ply tires, a sport car radial tires.
Mos6502
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

There are still a few 155/80R15 tires available. The Coker repro of the Firestone F560 is what I am currently running. They're relatively cheap, and while they don't look correct for a 1950's car, they look a lot better than most modern tires.

Vredestein makes the Sprint Classic in this size. It's a little more expensive, but genuinely looks like a 1960's tread design. I've seen them on a number of vintage imports and they look pretty authentic.

Michelin offers a few tires in this size, and they exactly reproduce the treads Michelin made in the 1950's and 1960's - but they're very expensive, and I have heard they don't actually drive that well.
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

I found my ideal tire: Hankook 165/80R15 "kinergy eco-2".

The "energy" model is a very... sliding? flowing? tire, designed for fuel economy.

In our VW world, with engines often under-power, the slidingness of that kind of tire seems to give 4-5 more HP.

Another world respect to traditional tires: Michelin, Firestone, etc.

AND they have a slim design similar to the original 5,60/15 bias ply tires.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

herbie1200 wrote:
I found my ideal tire: Hankook 165/80R15 "kinergy eco-2".

The "energy" model is a very... sliding? flowing? tire, designed for fuel economy.

I believe the term you're looking for is "low resistance" or "low rolling resistance" tires. They are designed with maximising fuel economy in mind by reducing the power required to get them to roll and to continue to roll. My personal experience with them was one that gave me the impression they were only good for warm weather and dry conditions, performance on wet pavement wasn't very good and in winter conditions was downright abysmal. I'm sure they will suffice for a fair weather driven car, but be aware they don't perform as well as an all season tire.
Ragman
The Sambinator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

The cheapest option is the standard 165R15 which is what most people use for basic drivers.
Helfen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Tire size/recommendation for my 59 bug Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
I have had several of our cars that had bias ply when we acquired them. Ride quality and handling was very inferior to how the were after I switched to radials IMHO. It really gets down to how "correct" you want the car to be. If going to an AACA judged show, you may want to confirm whether you are penalized for radials or not. I do not know the answer but would be surprised if there was a penalty.

All gets down to what you are doing with the car and what your priorities are.

As far as AACA goes, it depends on what year, so 1. No 1959 car ever came with a radial. 2. Depends if radials were ever offered by the factory-not dealer installed, and if they did you would need to show proof.

The car in question a 1959 beetle Radials are a no go.

AACA rules;
10. The following items are accepted for judging without penalty under the grandfather clause", due to their initial acceptance in the beginning of the judging program. a. Whitewall tires, must be proper size designation and proper style. b. 1941 Last use of double whitewall tires. 11. Tires on all vehicles must be as specified by the manufacturer. Specific brand is unimportant. They must be nearest the correct size, if the correct size is not available. Tubeless tires with a tube will be allowed without removing the wording "tubeless" on vehicles that did not come with tubeless tires. Tubeless tires were introduced in 1955 for cars and light trucks and in 1956 for heavy trucks. 12. The following identifies the first year of tire sizing for the various designations. Tire Documentation Owners not able to find a correct replacement tire should send a letter to the VP Judging indicating the specific size of the correct tire and that at least two tire manufacturers have been contacted and the correct tire is not available. Tires one size larger or smaller are acceptable. A letter from the VP Judging is the ONLY AACA ACCEPTED documentation regarding a vehicles' substitute tires. Any letter issued by the VP Judging should be shown to the Team Captain at the time of vehicle judging. IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THE TEAM CAPTAIN ASK FOR DOCUMENTATION FOR ANY TIRE THAT IS QUESTIONED BY THE CHASSIS JUDGE OR DOES NOT MEET THE FIRST YEAR OF MANUFACTURE GUIDELINES LISTED BELOW. Some manufacturers offered a radial tire - for specific vehicle(s) - as a factory authorized option to the standard issue ply tire. The use of red line radials on a vehicle should be accompanied with documentation. It is
2-23
advisable to seek documentation from the vehicle owner when a tire size or type is in question. This is especially so in cases of limited production, specialty vehicles, and foreign made vehicles.
a. LETTER SIZE tires, i.e. G78-15, GR78-14, etc 1967.
b. RADIALS, i.e. 185R14, 175R13, etc. Domestic Cars. (Factory documentation is required for any vehicle with radial tires prior to the years listed below.) Some domestic manufacturers offered these tires as early as 1967, such as Buick and Oldsmobile. It is possible that others may have offered them as well. BEFORE taking any deductions, the Team Captain will ask the owner for documentation. (Note: European built vehicles can be much earlier) (Japanese vehicles 1967, possibly earlier).
c. LOW PROFILE METRIC RADIALS, i.e. P195/70R13, P195/70VR14 Domestic Cars as early as 1979. European cars 1969*, Japanese cars 1975* *Also refer to above Note when judging foreign made vehicles. 13. Valve stems must be metal prior to 1930 and must be the same as originally supplied on the ve hicle. Documentation may be re quired. Fords will have metal valve stems through 1934. Rubber valve stems may be used on any ve hicle, prior to 1935, that was originally equipped with metal stems, if comp lete ly covered with au then tic valve cover, atop a re tainer nut fastened to the rim. In all cases, it must appear as origi nal equipm ent. 14. Plastic valve caps will receive a one point each deduction if used on any vehicle prior to 1951. “Red Crown” valve caps are not ac cepted on any vehicle. Red plas tic valve caps (not “Red Crown”) will be ac cepted on Whizzer motorbikes. 15. Wheel weights will be con sid ered a safety item; therefore there will be no deduction for wheel weights if installed in a work manlike manner. They may be painted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: