Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1600 dual port running on 2 cylinders
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 dual port running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
So I have the offending left end casting off. Nothing like using two wrenches and turning a nut 1/64th of a turn to get it off. Shocked

Japanese (JIS) nuts have same 8.0mm x 1.25mm thread yet use a 12mm wrench, available at Japanese car dealers or even at some Ace Hardware. There are also nuts available that use an 11mm or even 3/8 inch wrench
In any case, grinding down the wrench ends can help a ton.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.shop.kaddieshack.com/Solid-Brass-11mm-Hex-Intake-Exhaust-Nut-pack-of-8-43-6051.htm

Special 8mm x 1.25mm flanged nuts that use a 3/8 inch socket special nuts special exhaust nuts
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SearchResults.asp?Search=acn+flanged
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/ACN-3-8-Flanged-Racing-Exhaust-Nuts-8mm-x-3-8-p/acn-nuts.htm

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/SearchResults.asp?Search=exhaust+nuts

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Racing-Intake-Exhaust-Header-Nut-11-x-8mm-EACH-p/11mm-racing-nut.htm
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 dual port running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

For the intake nuts I use a 1/4" drive 13mm swivel socket by Snap On. They have the "short" socket on a really tight swivel. Makes it super easy!

I ran into this issue. It was an aftermarket alt stand cast too short. Owner was against changing the chrome out for stock. So, I installed around 5 paper gaskets to just clear. I think I filed the end casting down on the head mating side several strokes of a files worth.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 dual port running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

Thank you again. I appreciate the support.

Cusser, it's not for a lack of tools. I have plenty. It's just that the swing radius in the engine compartment is rather tight. Thus the need for the two different configured wrenches.

VWjimbo, I'm just a garage mechanic. So the Snap-On truck does not stop at the end of my driveway. I'm not trying to be a smart-a$$. It's just the reality of things here.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 dual port running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

No worries! You sound more experienced than just a hobbiest, so I was assuming you may have at one time invested in tools. I still hit up the Snap On guy here locally, for repairs mainly. But ever once in a while for a new tools. For what it is worth, that 13mm swivel makes easy work of the fuel pump, the generator stand, dual carb manifolds and a few other spots that are tight. If you do get your hands dirty enough, money well spent.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 dual port running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
No worries! You sound more experienced than just a hobbiest, so I was assuming you may have at one time invested in tools. I still hit up the Snap On guy here locally, for repairs mainly. But ever once in a while for a new tools. For what it is worth, that 13mm swivel makes easy work of the fuel pump, the generator stand, dual carb manifolds and a few other spots that are tight. If you do get your hands dirty enough, money well spent.

Thank you!
Yes at one time I was a line mechanic for a small independent shop in Idaho Falls, Id.
At that time I did indeed invest in quality tools.

Problem statement. Wife #2 took everything I owned, right down to my cowboy boots while I was working in Europe for an extended period of time. Long sorted story...........

Every time I have to buy a new tool, I get a little angry at the fact that I already had a good quality one that I am replacing with an HF tool. Shocked

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 dual port running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

Thank you!
Yes at one time I was a line mechanic for a small independent shop in Idaho Falls, Id.
At that time I did indeed invest in quality tools.

Problem statement. Wife #2 took everything I owned, right down to my cowboy boots while I was working in Europe for an extended period of time. Long sorted story...........

Every time I have to buy a new tool, I get a little angry at the fact that I already had a good quality one that I am replacing with an HF tool. Shocked

I knew that there was something there, inbetween your words!

Sorry brother! I have also found life to have its crappy times. No fun.

Be thankful that your knowledge is still intact and your skills can not be taken from you. Life is just testing your resilence. It keeps testing me as well. My last fight, ended after brain surgery, leaving me with no short term memory, at the age of 26! So, stay positive, there is always something better up ahead!

There are ALOT of good tools for sale at swap meets. You may be able to find one at one of those venues. Just a thought. Or buy a really cheapo wrench and bend it!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 dual port running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

There is a pawn shop up the road that hates small tools. Yet they buy them all the time.
I paw through the boxes of loose tools and once in a while come up with a Snap-On, Craftsman.... tool that will work well for me.
Like the Snap-On 17mm swivel socket that is perfect for getting to the upper left motor mount bolt. Very Happy

I hear ya. Thank you for the kind words and encouragement.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 dual port running on 2 cylinders (Fixed) Reply with quote

SO after shredding my forearms trying in vain (or is that vane) to get the end casting in place. I bit the bullet and removed the engine last night.

Funny thing is that once the engine was on the garage floor. I looked at the offending end casting. And I'll be damned! The flippin boot was on the casting correctly. The casting was loosely on the intake port of the head and partially into the boot when I started taking it out.
I guess all of the wiggling worked it in place. Cool
I tightened down the boot and then the end casting.
Reached for my new latest favorite tool. An $18 6v bell housing from the last swap meet I attended. Installed a spare starter and wired up the hot side of the coil. Put some gas in the carb and started it up on the floor.
Wala! It's running on all 4 cylinders. Very Happy
Problem solved.

Thank you everyone that helped me get this sorted.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 dual port running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

GOOD! Thanks for the update! Very Happy
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 dual port running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

I've been there too!
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 dual port running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

Yep, I had that same issue on my '74 recently, dead 3-4 due to a leaky manifold to hear gasket. I bought a long HF ratchet tool with a double-jointed/swiveling head and was able to loosen and tighten the front and back manifold nuts without dropping the engine. One of the best cheap tools i ever bought!

Glad you got it fixed!

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 dual port running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

Everyone has been down that road. Enjoy the ride. Take away the lesson taught and then apply that knowledge in the future! And take a momment to relish in the fact that you did it!!! Nice job man!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 dual port running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

My procedure for chasing something like this is starter fluid with a straw. I give shots at every joint - including the manifold/head. I do this again AFTER I have installed everything as well.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 dual port running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
For the intake nuts I use a 1/4" drive 13mm swivel socket by Snap On. They have the "short" socket on a really tight swivel. Makes it super easy!

VW_Jimbo, is this the Snap-on socket that you’re talking about?:

https://store.snapon.com/Shallow-Universal-mm-Chro...42263.aspx

Sounds interesting if if fits well in lot of those tight spots in the engine bay! Do you recommend 10 mm swivel socket as well, maybe?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1600 dual port running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

Here's the one I use for this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-r...98484.html

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1600 dual port running on 2 cylinders Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:

VW_Jimbo, is this the Snap-on socket that you’re talking about?:

https://store.snapon.com/Shallow-Universal-mm-Chro...42263.aspx

Sounds interesting if if fits well in lot of those tight spots in the engine bay! Do you recommend 10 mm swivel socket as well, maybe?

Yep! Although that is a 9mm pictured!

I purchased mine 28 years ago, so...………………...

I have from 6mm to 15mm, set. Money well spent!

The 10mm lets you easily get to the bottom generator fan bolts.

Would not know how to work without these sockets.

Hey, on a side note. You cannot go wrenching on them to tight. They do break, but you do have a lifetime warranty! I have had my 13mm replaced about 30 times! Same with the 10 and 12mm.

Have fun!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: