Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to roll start backwards
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: How to roll start backwards Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
stwesty wrote:

Link

I'm guessing this isn't great for it either...

there was a pull start, kindof like a lawnmower pull start on older beetles, the pulley had a funky notch on it? it was an aftermarket deal though

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

An interesting looking device, but probably quite difficult to use on a 1968~79 VW 1600 Type 2 or 1972~79 VW 17/18/2000 Type 2 owing to the geometry of the engine compartment.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: How to roll start backwards Reply with quote

The two gears of an air cooled VW transaxle that are the weakest are the main shaft portion of first gear and the reverse idler gear. Both can be easily damaged when used in bump starting a VW. That's why it is always recommended to do it rolling forward and in second gear. Geez I thought all the "instant experts" knew that. Wink Laughing
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: How to roll start backwards Reply with quote

sodbuster wrote:
The two gears of an air cooled VW transaxle that are the weakest are the main shaft portion of first gear and the reverse idler gear. Both can be easily damaged when used in bump starting a VW. That's why it is always recommended to do it rolling forward and in second gear. Geez I thought all the "instant experts" knew that. Wink Laughing

Given the choice, I would push-start a car in 3rd year; pushing it until it reached circa 10~15 mph.

scrivyscriv wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
A better solution... is to have a retro-fitted starting-handle facility as was available for some split-screen VW Type 2s...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Seems legit until you price the tin, nut and spinner tool in the classifieds!
vwuguy is really giving chris vallone's channel a run for his money

I don't know of any factory-original or after-market tin-ware, that is appropriate to retro-fitment of a starting-handle facility to a 1972~79 VW 1600 Type 2. The starter dog originated from another type of car, costing next to nothing.

I modified the 1973 VW 1600 Type 2's original large rear coverplate, by incorporating a moulded GRP cylindrical tunnel, through which the starting handle could pass and exclude recirculating hot air from beneath the engine. I am sorry I have no pictures, having sold off the parts when we decided to substitute a VW Type 4 style engine, which also now has a starting-handle facility. Smile

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tootype2crazy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: How to roll start backwards Reply with quote

I just carry a spare used starter. They're not that big and fairly easy to replace. Very handy when yours decides to suddenly crap out.
1970 Single Cab 2.1 turbo/EFI 6 Rib, 78 front beam, vanagon backing plates on rear (project)
2001 GTI VR6 (wife's)
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: How to roll start backwards Reply with quote

Link

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: How to roll start backwards Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Link

Except for their problem was supposed to be a busted clutch cable or something of the sort, IIRC. Crying or Very sad
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: How to roll start backwards Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
SGKent wrote:

Link

Except for their problem was supposed to be a busted clutch cable or something of the sort, IIRC. Crying or Very sad

Umm, they were starting it with the engine in first gear originally and rev-matching to shift, but eventually that led to the premature death of the starter, therefore they had to push start it in first gear, and rev-match.

Maybe that is it. Or I may have been annoyed about that detail when I saw the movie 12 years ago! ha ha

I had to start a car of in first gear a couple times and rev-match to shift to get home when the cable broke. But both were just measures to get home and get it fixed. One was a 1960 Beetle, and the other was a '84 Diesel Rabbit.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: