Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

100,000km Mauthe Watch
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: 100,000km Mauthe Watch Reply with quote

Twenty years ago I had a Laco version of the 100,000km award watch. It was in reasonably decent condition but there was some wear on the gold plating and the dial was pretty faded. I sold it after I sold my '50 Hoffman split (still kicking myself over that idiotic move -- the car, not the watch).

When I got back into the scene last year I decided I wanted another watch. I've seen quite a few by both Laco and Mauthe but they were either more expensive than I considered realistic, and / or in very worn-out condition. But last weekend I stumbled upon one on eBay that had zero bids at $39.99, with only a few hours remaining. I placed a bid and won it at the starting price. That was a pleasant surprise.

I think what may have turned some people off was that it was missing the winding crown and the seller couldn't say whether or not it ran. The crystal was also broken. But those didn't faze me because I'm a watchmaker. Under the grime I could see it was a pretty good example and knew it would come out well.

It arrived today and I was stunned. It has zero wear on the plating. The dial is absolutely pristine. Even the original radium is fully intact. I took it apart and overhauled the movement. It's showing spot-on accuracy on my timing machine. After cleaning the case ultrasonically it gleams. It looks and runs absolutely as-new.

This is the version by Mauthe. It has a very high quality movement, much better than the Laco. I was very impressed with the design and workmanship. This was a very nice watch for the 1950s. Maybe that's why so many of the ones I see now are so worn out -- people must have loved them to death.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 100,000km Mauthe Watch Reply with quote

Nice score.
I love it when I win stuff with no other bids, even better when the condition is better than expected.

I guess you had another winding crown to install?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: 100,000km Mauthe Watch Reply with quote

It was a nice little score. Very Happy

I have hundreds of random spare crowns, and other watch parts. It's amazing how much you can accumulate during a lifetime of watch repairing. (I retired last year.)
Balikpapan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: 100,000km Mauthe Watch Reply with quote

Dear René,

I came across your post having just bought an unbranded vintage watch that I am 99% sure is a Mauthe or a Henzi & Pfaff. (see here https://www.snupps.com/balikpapan/item/15856440--anonymous-1950s-bullseye-gem )

I see you are a watchmaker with lots of crowns and parts… I have a 1970s Swiss diver's watch with a 11.5 ligne hand wound movement that is missing its crown and stem. Local watchmakers here in France have been unable to source the parts from their usual suppliers. Do you think you might be able to repair it? I can send you photos of the movement if that helps.

Watch can be seen here: https://www.snupps.com/balikpapan/item/15714442--services-divers-watch

Many thanks

Colin
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: 100,000km Mauthe Watch Reply with quote

PM sent.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: