Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2378, 2379, 2380 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

npbusguy wrote:
EverettB wrote:
sled wrote:
this is ridiculous, and if someone actually pays anywhere near this, I feel bad for you...well maybe I don't cause its your own fault

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2186072

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Recording the price here for reference - $4000

Awesome part that could complete someone's original Bus but at that price...

Original paint?
I can see the red over spray on the splash pans (which are supposed to be black).
Old paint, yes.
Original, not 100%.

That being said, if I had a patina bus that needed a bumper to match, I'd start negotiating, but good thing I don't need it.

Deluxe ribbed bumper splash pans are painted red on super early Deluxes.
All Wolfsburg? Definitely Barndoor Smile

Either way, I would want to verify it was original paint before spending that kind of coin.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2185823
Can I whine just because I want it and can in no way afford it? Shocked Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

chris henry wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2185823
Can I whine just because I want it and can in no way afford it? Shocked Shocked

yes! yes you can. i would

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

230,000 pounds and they can't even spring for a featured ad?
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

campingbox wrote:
230,000 pounds and they can't even spring for a featured ad?

I'm surprised they're having to advertise the bus at all. I would have guessed a vehicle that rare, with what seems like a good bit of provenance, would have a short list of "if you ever want to sell that bus..." type people attached to it that would keep it from ever hitting the open market.

But maybe it does/did and they all balked at that price?
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Quote:
Right well we're do I start

argh.... for a quarter million I feel like you have mommy run a quick spell check for you

Would that be considered a sympathetic restoration? I feel like blending paint where it's bad is a sympathetic restoration. Blasting the entire outer surface and repainting the pretty bits seems like just a half restoration. OG overspray in the wheel wells is kind of a moot point.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

This Double Cab sold or $30,500 on BAT recently
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-volkswagen-double-cab/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

saw that. lots wrong, correct?
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Yes, it had some weird stuff, including an apparent stamped-in 1963 VIN # out back even though it looks like a '62.

Also 64-up front heater vents so possible massive nose repair?
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Yes, it had some weird stuff, including an apparent stamped-in 1963 VIN # out back even though it looks like a '62.

And with a plastic fuel filter in the engine compartment....
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

That probably means it had a nose clip at some point. It happens. Too bad they didn't get the same year nose.

EeVeeWee wrote:

I see nothing wrong with that.
The fuel filter above the trans is not so good. Especially in a freshly revived bus that gets grit in the filter. Those are annoying to check for debris when hidden there, and more likely to pour gas on you when you change them. How awesome is that? Rolling Eyes

In the engine compartment I can check it with my oil check at every fill up. Sometimes there's a bad tank of gas that gets ick in there.

I know there is a line of thought that says it is wrong to put a filter there, but it doesn't make sense to me to be awkward. Be awkward and put it above the trans if you want to.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

agreed, the fuel filter i can check is much better than the one i won't. I bet my little pickup truck has a fuel filter somewhere, 222,223 miles and 15 years later... might be time to check it :0

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

What the Hell is going on in the comment section on that auction? something about having sex with a 14 year old and people threatening with charges.. Cant people just bid on a car and try to get along? Confused Confused Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EeVeeWee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
EverettB wrote:

That probably means it had a nose clip at some point. It happens. Too bad they didn't get the same year nose.

EeVeeWee wrote:

The fuel filter above the trans is not so good. Especially in a freshly revived bus that gets grit in the filter. Those are annoying to check for debris when hidden there, and more likely to pour gas on you when you change them. How awesome is that? Rolling Eyes

In the engine compartment I can check it with my oil check at every fill up. Sometimes there's a bad tank of gas that gets ick in there.

I know there is a line of thought that says it is wrong to put a filter there, but it doesn't make sense to me to be awkward. Be awkward and put it above the trans if you want to.

I know there have been more than one fires because of the filter in the engine compartment.
Easy to check, but when the plastic gets harder due to the heat, there can become a break in the plastic with leakage as a result.
Use a metal filter in that place or just put it in a safe place outside the engine compartment to prevent fire.
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2173168

If only he had a pair.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

chris henry wrote:
EverettB wrote:

What the Hell is going on in the comment section on that auction? something about having sex with a 14 year old and people threatening with charges.. Cant people just bid on a car and try to get along? Confused Confused Confused

It looks like the drama got cleaned up now.
Damn, should have screen-capped it. Wink
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
chris henry wrote:
EverettB wrote:

It looks like the drama got cleaned up now.
Damn, should have screen-capped it. Wink

Yes it did.. really hate to see that going on. If I want to see drama I will get on face book. BAT is a legit auction site and prices are a true reflection of where the market is on these things. I guess 30k is it on a chopped up DC with a 7 out of 10 paint job
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2173168

If only he had a pair.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EeVeeWee wrote:
Clara wrote:
EeVeeWee wrote:

I know there have been more than one fires because of the filter in the engine compartment.
Easy to check, but when the plastic gets harder due to the heat, there can become a break in the plastic with leakage as a result.
Use a metal filter in that place or just put it in a safe place outside the engine compartment to prevent fire.
Please show me a picture of a brittle, broken or leaking plastic fuel filter. Plastic filters do not fail. Fuel lines get old and fail. Brass fittings come out of pot-metal carbs and fuel pumps. The plastic filters are not the problem. VW has produced millions of cars with plastic fuel filters.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EeVeeWee wrote:

After the fire, how can you tell it started from a fuel filter rather than another cause, like leaking fuel line or the inlet popping out of the carb?

Old fuel line that starts cracking and oozing and even dripping is a fire hazard. Fuel line is a wear item, and IME most fires are from old leaky fuel lines. They should be checked every 3K mile service, at least once a year.
If the fuel line is fairly new, and I twist to get the old filter off, it tends to twist the ends of the plastic filter. It twists the pliable plastic. So I push the line off with a screwdriver.
Old dried out fuel line comes off easily with a twist.

I feel good about not pouring fuel on myself when changing a filter. Very Happy
Filter in the engine compartment is fine.
If you want it out, that works for you. But I suspect you just want to laugh at someone for pouring gas on themselves.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2378, 2379, 2380 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2379 of 2710

Jump to: