Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what has changed?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

marklaken wrote:
As mostly a parts buyer, I got into the hobby in the 00's for fun in my early 20s. Now in my 40s, I am dumping all my cash into my home or my 401k accounts. That plus wage stagnation (despite increasing living expenses) results in virtually none of my cash going into my car hobby except the bare minimum to keep something running for the occasional shits and giggles.

I don't think I have even looked at TheSamba classified for specific parts in over a year.

Wish List:
1967 Wesfalia SO-42 Parts Needed: Kitchenette...

I needed one also and found it at a swap meet for $15.
Otherwise, sounds like you're getting your life in order - you know you're there - when you're completely out of debt... that's the best.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

I had a guy on CL inquire about a kit car I have listed for $1000 the other day.

after the usual, "send me more pic, all angles.." he says, "I'll give you $300 cash and come get it today"

dumbass..If someone wants $1000 for something, why would anyone think they would let it go for less than 1/3 of that....

I in turn asked him if I could buy the cash in his bank account and his 401K from him for 30 cents on the dollar, it's only paper after all...

that will be my new response to all the lowballing tire kickers from now on Laughing
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
I had a guy on CL inquire about a kit car I have listed for $1000 the other day.

after the usual, "send me more pic, all angles.." he says, "I'll give you $300 cash and come get it today"

dumbass..If someone wants $1000 for something, why would anyone think they would let it go for less than 1/3 of that....

I always wondered that too. There are a few people on the site that I have seen lowball TONS of car sellers.
As far as I know they never buy anything, they simply annoy people.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Here's my 2 cents. For many years there was a half mile dirt track in Reading Pa called the Reading Fairgrounds. It was possibly the most famous dirt track on the east coast. All the greats of yesteryear raced there. Foyt, Rutherford, Johncock. Andretti, Unsers, etc. It was normal for 5, 000 to 7,000, and even up to 15,000 people show up at a weekly race and they raced Friday and Sunday nights. Huge crowds both nights of the week. 1979 was the last year for the track. Demolished it for a mall, which is now being considered for demolition due to lack of business. Memorabilia from thee Reading Fairgrounds was at a premium for years until the last few years, but since my generation was the last to see the Fairgrounds, today's generation knows nothing about it or even cares about it. I believe the same will happen to Bugs, and all old cars and car collections in general. This generation doesn't have the connection that us older guys have to Bugs or even muscle cars. I believe the only way Bugs will stay alive is if they are converted to electric, and I'm no fan of electric cars. Car collections will go the way of the VCR. Do young baseball fans have interest in Ebbets Field, Polo Grounds, Connie Mack Stadium, …? Life goes on and things come to an end and are forgotten about and new things take their place.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:

I in turn asked him if I could buy the cash in his bank account and his 401K from him for 30 cents on the dollar, it's only paper after all...

that will be my new response to all the lowballing tire kickers from now on Laughing

Tell them “sure” & give them the address to the shittiest part of town. Bonus if they’re dragging a trailer from another state. Evil or Very Mad

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
Here's my 2 cents. For many years there was a half mile dirt track in Reading Pa called the Reading Fairgrounds. It was possibly the most famous dirt track on the east coast. All the greats of yesteryear raced there. Foyt, Rutherford, Johncock. Andretti, Unsers, etc. It was normal for 5, 000 to 7,000, and even up to 15,000 people show up at a weekly race and they raced Friday and Sunday nights. Huge crowds both nights of the week. 1979 was the last year for the track. Demolished it for a mall, which is now being considered for demolition due to lack of business. Memorabilia from thee Reading Fairgrounds was at a premium for years until the last few years, but since my generation was the last to see the Fairgrounds, today's generation knows nothing about it or even cares about it. I believe the same will happen to Bugs, and all old cars and car collections in general. This generation doesn't have the connection that us older guys have to Bugs or even muscle cars. I believe the only way Bugs will stay alive is if they are converted to electric, and I'm no fan of electric cars. Car collections will go the way of the VCR. Do young baseball fans have interest in Ebbets Field, Polo Grounds, Connie Mack Stadium, …? Life goes on and things come to an end and are forgotten about and new things take their place.

That makes me wonder if the Romans lamented the same thing about the closing of the colosseum.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

I do see some younger folks at the shows who were never around to see Aircooled VWs all over the roads daily and they're fascinated with them because they are so unique and unmistakable. They're unlike anything else in shape and function. That may be the thing that keeps people interested in tgem.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:

Tell them “sure” & give them the address to the shittiest part of town. Bonus if they’re dragging a trailer from another state. Evil or Very Mad

I usually just say, "no thank you" - and then give my best price... that way there are no hard feelings... why be mean? Not worth it. Kindness is always the best policy.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:

I usually just say, "no thank you" - and then give my best price... that way there are no hard feelings... why be mean? Not worth it. Kindness is always the best policy.

There’s a difference between someone that wants to negotiate & some scrotumsucker that offers 1/3 the asking price, especially after they’ve wasted your time asking to take pics of everything from three different directions

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

I understand your point... is frustrating, but I always make it a point to be polite... sometimes I have discourteous thoughts and have learned to pause, before speaking and still say, "no thank you"... creating good karma is of paramount importance to me
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

My favorite was the idiot that dragged his trailer through three states to pull that shit, I told him the get the hell out & locked the door behind them.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Then there’s the jackwagons that ask “what’s your bottom dollar” & when you give it to them they decide that it’s time to negotiate again.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It’s constantly dealing with fucknuggets like this that I now understand why someone would just let a car rot in their yard or cut the damn thing up so they don’t have to deal with the cheap asses anymore.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
I understand your point... is frustrating, but I always make it a point to be polite... sometimes I have discourteous thoughts and have learned to pause, before speaking and still say, "no thank you"... creating good karma is of paramount importance to me

I think this is the correct approach in dealing with someone that is trying to be unreasonable. A simple no thanks makes the statement that you are firm. Rather than becoming upset or angry over what someone has offered is giving them control of your emotions and may cloud your judgment. Last year I sold an oval that had been stored inside for over 30 years, original numbers matching, no rust. It was a nice car and I was swamped with emails so the first guy that showed up tried to beat me down on price then his wife said he was in the habit of driving long distances to make lowball offers and that sometimes they came home with a car. Not this time I sent him packing to drive back home over 700 miles. The next person was damn glad to get the car and gladly paid my asking price, he also received extra parts from me because of his positive attitude. Being kind and courteous in your dealings costs nothing but can reap rewards.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Being kind and courteous in your dealings costs nothing but can reap rewards.

This is especially true if you're the buyer, once you start throwing out stupid offers, you have likely alienated the seller. We all like to negotiate, but if you piss the seller off, they're likely to stop dealing with you. Like you, I'd give the next guy a great deal & sweeten the pot just to spite the previous idiot ESPECIALLY if they're still standing there.

cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

My daughter carries around a local phone # to pass out. The rejection hotline. Thanks, but no thanks.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Last year I sold an oval that had been stored inside for over 30 years, original numbers matching, no rust. It was a nice car and I was swamped with emails so the first guy that showed up tried to beat me down on price then his wife said he was in the habit of driving long distances to make lowball offers and that sometimes they came home with a car. Not this time I sent him packing to drive back home over 700 miles.

I love seeing people like this get the door slammed in their face. Very Happy
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

I make a conscious effort to be nice but I’m only human and do make mistakes. After the car was sold I took pics as buyer was leaving with it on tow dolly and sent to the first guy that tried to beat me down. Maybe that’s salt in the wound or a waste of my time sending negative energy back out. I prefaced the pictures with a message saying car was off the market and had gone to a good home in Tennessee. Even though first guys lowball tactics failed we did present them with a 20 dollar gift certificate from the Cracker Barrel, that’s good Karma 😁
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

I had one guy try to low ball me on a dune buggy so low that I finally gave in and played it like this:

day one-"you have a trailer? Ans. YES!
day two-"you have a truck? Ans. Yes, and cash!
day three-"you have your wife's permission?" Ans.I'm a big boy, I make my decisions.
day four-" OK, so take your truck and trailer over to lowes or home depot, buy some wood, some plastic, some foam, some resin, and some fiberglass and make one yourself...cause that's as far as your couple hundred $$$ is gonna get you here.."
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

... just seem parts sales are not what they were. - what have you sold recently?
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: what has changed? Reply with quote

You take enough pictures and post with your ad (no links, no "its on instagram" ) so that a real buyer sees enough to know if s/he will make the trip.

Any requests after that met by come look at it with my asking price in cash. Of course Im willing to negotiate but if you don't have that much cash, don't come.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 11

Jump to: